Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling clueless on what to get my inlaws for christmas (hubby makes me decide). They are affluent and really have everything they need (and are quite picky). My MIL is a very healthy eater and works out a lot, they both like drinking. I think I have done holiday flowers, wine, foody gift baskets to death. I need more ideas. I've done donations a ton too...usually save those for mothers and fathers day.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Ummm never mind...I just found perfect gifts from both of them. Man, its a whole lot easier these days when I don't care what they think of me. But to be safe, I made it from my husband

Old 12-12-2014, 07:03 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Just curious, what did you get? I'm in the same boat each year with my parents and MIL

Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
OP, I see you resolved your issue but I'll post this in case it might help someone.

DH & I are in our 60s and financially comfortable. We'd rather no one give us gifts on any occasion. But they sometimes do, and the ones we've enjoyed most were premium brand tequila or other liquor, gift certificates to a favorite or new restaurant, and gift certificates for theater (musical or play) tickets. We seldom attend live sports events but those who do might like tickets to one.

What we don't want is any "durable" stuff, i.e. anything we have to store, carry, wear, display, etc. - unless it's something handmade or crafted by a giver who knows our tastes well. Several years ago one son gave us a charcoal sketch he had done of a corner in our garden. The other son isn't visually artistic but one year he got a friend to do a small water color from a photo we had of a favorite neighborhood in New Orleans. We cherish both.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
I am a lot like your MIL. And, for others who may need ideas, I love good ground coffee. French Vanilla, Hazelnut, many flavors. My husband loves getting Starbucks gift cards. I also like bubble baths. I love good spices and tea. Also nice hand cream. I used to send my own parents a "fruit of the month" gift basket, and I would enjoy getting that, too. I would also like one of the wrist bands that measure your exercise and tell the quality of your sleep. I love Acorn slippers. I love PacSafe fanny packs or travel purses. Just a few ideas.....

Old 12-12-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I love PacSafe fanny packs or travel purses.
This very evening, a couple of hours ago, I ordered a PacSafe fanny pack from Amazon. If someone had known I wanted one, it would have made a much-appreciated gift! Perhaps I - and others? - should make our Amazon wish lists public.
Premium tea bags or sachets, and nice high-end hand cream,

Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'm feeling clueless on what to get my inlaws for christmas (hubby makes me decide). They are affluent and really have everything they need (and are quite picky). My MIL is a very healthy eater and works out a lot, they both like drinking. I think I have done holiday flowers, wine, foody gift baskets to death. I need more ideas. I've done donations a ton too...usually save those for mothers and fathers day.

Help?
The thing that confused me was why your husband would make you select the present for his parents. After all he has known them at least 20 or 30 years longer than you have and should know their tastes, interests and habits far better than you.

Is he just trying to get out of shopping?

The first year that I was married my husband said to me one time about mid October "Honey, Can you buy the Christmas presents for my family?". It was not even Halloween yet and I was certainly not thinking about Christmas so I responded "Maybe".

He never brought it up again until December 23---less than 24 hours before we were leaving to travel out of state to visit them and open the presents. He asked if I had made sure that I bought a present for each of his cousins, in addition to several presents a piece for his mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother, sister and brother.

Since he had never once mentioned it since October and I had not bought even one gift for them. It was an absolute nightmare. Going shopping on December 23 to buy over 20 presents for people that I did not really know. Some of the relatives I had only met one time at the wedding. Unfortunately he had an exam and could not go shopping that day and we would arrive at their house just in time for the gift exchange. I was pretty miffed that he just assumed that I had done all of the shopping even though I had never agreed to do it. He said that he thought that I had agreed to do it (in mid October) and why should he have to remind me about something that important.

Sheesh!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The thing that confused me was why your husband would make you select the present for his parents. After all he has known them at least 20 or 30 years longer than you have and should know their tastes, interests and habits far better than you.
I noticed that too but let it slide because honestly in real life, spouses do all kinds of task-swapping.
For everything DH laid on me that I didn't really want to do, I handed him back something equally daunting.

We're in our 60s now and he haggles with all the insurance/Medicare folks on my behalf. That's worth way more than whatever time I spent through the years picking out his mom's Xmas presents.

Her husband didn't ask her to buy 20 presents for total strangers and he didn't forbid her to drink coffee or invite his 7 family members for an extended stay in their one-bedroom apartment.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Is he just trying to get out of shopping?

The first year that I was married my husband said to me one time about mid October "Honey, Can you buy the Christmas presents for my family?". It was not even Halloween yet and I was certainly not thinking about Christmas so I responded "Maybe".

He never brought it up again until December 23---less than 24 hours before we were leaving to travel out of state to visit them and open the presents. He asked if I had made sure that I bought a present for each of his cousins, in addition to several presents a piece for his mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother, sister and brother.

Since he had never once mentioned it since October and I had not bought even one gift for them. It was an absolute nightmare. Going shopping on December 23 to buy over 20 presents for people that I did not really know. Some of the relatives I had only met one time at the wedding. Unfortunately he had an exam and could not go shopping that day and we would arrive at their house just in time for the gift exchange. I was pretty miffed that he just assumed that I had done all of the shopping even though I had never agreed to do it. He said that he thought that I had agreed to do it (in mid October) and why should he have to remind me about something that important.

Sheesh!
Been there and done that. It didn't happen twice. Unfortunately, or not, an inordinate number of gifts came from the liquor store. I later found out that he was in the habit of doing his Christmas shopping on the 23rd or 24th. He'd been doing it for years. After that, I told him to give me a list or do his own shopping. Surprisingly, he usually chose to shop.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Just curious, what did you get? I'm in the same boat each year with my parents and MIL
Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships