Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I know this is going to sound petty but I get very annoyed when people ignore me via text messages and facebook. As time goes on, I take it more and more personally. Now im to the point that if they ignore me, I do it right back weeks later or I don't even contact them no more. But can you guys give me any suggestions on how i can handle this better?
Another aspect of this is when people cherry-pick what part of your email they respond to. In a phone conversation, you can talk about anything and everything. But for some reason in emails, people avoid responding to seemingly innocuous questions and topics. That seems rude, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I know this is going to sound petty but I get very annoyed when people ignore me via text messages and facebook. As time goes on, I take it more and more personally. Now im to the point that if they ignore me, I do it right back weeks later or I don't even contact them no more. But can you guys give me any suggestions on how i can handle this better?

People are busy and have other things to do besides wait for a text or a facebook message.
I could care less when or if I get a reply from someone I may text which is usually only 3 people.
I eventually hear back from them but the length of time is no big deal. If I need something immediately I use the telephone part of my texting device and make a call.

We deactivated facebook years ago and don't miss it one bit, nothing but drama, chaos and whining.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM

107 posts, read 155,162 times
I am afraid to check this, but I it would be deadly serious if the Original Poster is a man.

Men are not ignored. Men are example to their society, as a one foundation of being a man is having a respect, and other people want to contact them.

When you are ignored, most times it is your fault, reliable people do not wait to others. Besides people who ignore someone with no reason are simple not worth contacting.

The case in your thread is not respect you receive from others (or its lack) but respect of yourself to yourself.

And this is tremendous that best advice you were given here by a girl!

If you are not yet ready to take example from real, hardworking men, start with those brave little girls that do not complain about being ignored!

Jukesgrrl good posts. I will never have such a patience.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
I just assume people either didn't see my text or message or they were busy, meant to get back with me and forgot.

So then I either send another text them again or message them on FB. If I don't hear back from them in two or so days, I start wondering if they are sick or terribly tied up . . . but I don't get angry, miffed, upset, etc.

I have missed texts that were sent while my phone was dead, same for phone calls and VMs . . . I have missed emails (I get way too many emails daily - rarely use email for correspondence other than business) . . . It does happen and no ill intent or underlying "message" was meant by my silence.

I assume the same happens to others. It has never occurred in my life that someone purposely ignored me. If they did, I sure didn't notice, lolololol. I have never gotten my feelings hurt, I can say that.

Now, business matters - that is a different thing. I have had all sorts of situations arise with people avoiding me or getting back with info they knew they "owed" me, etc. But that I don't take personally, either.

There are too many important things in life to get all strung out over how quickly or when someone does or doesn't respond to me.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
TWO HOURS?? Seriously? With those kinds of demands, I'd absolutely drop you from my social agenda. Do you really think people have nothing to do but sit around and wait for you to contact them? It takes some people two hours to commute to work. I personally have plenty of days I am far too busy to check my social E-mail. I bet Angelina Jolie doesn't get the response times you demand. For heaven's sake, give people a break.
If you didnt get back within 2 hours idve already dropped you from mine. I dont need a book written for me but a simple acknowledgment that you got my text and that youll get back to me is all i need. If you cant do at least that then go be someone elses friend. Even on days that im nonstop i still have 45 seconds to reply "ok; cant talk now, will call you later on tonight."

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM

555 posts, read 805,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If you didnt get back within 2 hours idve already dropped you from mine. I dont need a book written for me but a simple acknowledgment that you got my text and that youll get back to me is all i need. If you cant do at least that then go be someone elses friend. Even on days that im nonstop i still have 45 seconds to reply "ok; cant talk now, will call you later on tonight."
Wow. Just wow.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:17 PM

341 posts, read 456,300 times
I'm a little on the fence about this one. Most of the people that I text with, I text because I know they will respond in a timely manner. That's why texts are a convenient mode of communication. If it's a person that consistently doesn't text back, I probably would stop texting and rely on phone calls. What's tricky is that this aassumes the friendship is intact and there is nothing weird going on. My friends are my friends. If they don't get back to me, I assume they are busy and it's not a big deal. But there is a sub-category of friends - the people that you are not 100% sure where you stand with.

So if it's a newer friendship, and they aren't reciprocating, I might rethink how much energy I want to put into the friendship. Or if it's a friendship that is in flux, it might be seen as an indicator of the person's interest in maintaining the friendship...

I currently have ONE "friend" that I am going through this with right now, and it sucks. It used to be a reciprocal friendship, someone that I felt like I could count on to be there - and I have proven time and time again that I am "there" in times of need and crisis, but it is starting to feel too one sided for my liking. Response times are getting longer, and the responses themselves shorter. Our last exchange ended abruptly, after I shared a joint memory. It never got picked up again. This was several days ago. Now I just feel weird. And given the pattern of me initiating and getting lukewarm response I doubt I will initiate again. It's a shame, because it's a friend I used to be close to, but friendships go through seasons, and you can't force someone to be in the same place as you.

Generally speaking though, I don't think people ignore you intentionally. I think what you are REALLY referring to is the fact that you aren't enough of a priority to them that they respond quickly.

I recently texted a friend to ask for his mailing address. He never got back to me. I guess I could have been upset. Instead I texted back a lighthearted, funny reminder several days later, to which he responded enthusiastically and we had a fun exchange.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,209,158 times
I read some of your comments and I no longer feel AS BAD as I once did. Thank you guys.

I had this other friend, who is notoriously known to flake out, ignored me two months ago. I face booked her AND texted her but no reply. So she hasn't reached out to me since then until she needed something. I guess she needed my help to vote on something that she's promoting. She tagged me in the post twice, texted, and Facebook private messaged me. In my head I'm like, "so you do know how to get a hold of me?!" I feel used when she dang near hunts me down when she wants something but doesn't have the dignity to reply to me when I was trying to get a hold of her a couple of months back.

I feel bad in a sense that's it is immature that I'm totally ignoring her but another part of me feels like "justice is served" and "karma is a ...."

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,520 times
Its disrespectful & you should dump them. Find new friends. Make sure you keep a certain distance & dont crowd their phone, facebook with messages & expect them to respond to each one of them. If you forward too many messages or send too many game requests on facebook then they will tune out your messages & might miss your important, personal messages.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,209,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Its disrespectful & you should dump them. Find new friends. Make sure you keep a certain distance & dont crowd their phone, facebook with messages & expect them to respond to each one of them. If you forward too many messages or send too many game requests on facebook then they will tune out your messages & might miss your important, personal messages.

I should make it clear that this doesn't happen often; it's just from time-to-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships