Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,126,516 times

Advertisements

A number of months back, I posted on how primitive one might be to the rest of their family. Well, it hit me during this holiday period.

I was with one brother, we were calling the other brother on my phone to exchange greetings and when the hosting brother got my phone, his first words were....."I'm talking to you on a flip phone.".

Now, of course, he was joking....I hope.....but I suppose it just shows the difference between siblings. He lives in a house with a child, I'm single in apartments. He has hardly any books around, I have enough to have a library or at least a Book Mobile. He has one of those "thousand channel" systems, I barely tolerate basic cable. His frig/freezer is great for providing ice, but I could never fit a brisket into it.

One thing I did notice of how we are not so different is that we are very much linked into our computer worlds. My young niece did play with her friends a lot, played with me some when we went to the arcades, but also spent a lot of her time on her Ipad. How I noticed it is rather interesting though. On my visit, I didn't take my laptop and as said, I don't have a smart phone. I did take my diary and just wrote and wrote. Now, today, that I am home, I am finding I am back here at my computer a lot more than I might want to be.......but I suppose this world hooks us.

What about you? See significant differences in your siblings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,075,752 times
It all comes down to brisket, doesn't it?

Old 01-02-2015, 07:55 PM

35,197 posts, read 31,523,947 times
We can't control who our family is and we are often radically different from them. It is the way it is.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,807,545 times
You call these "significant differences'? Type of cellphone you own and what you keep in your freezer? Wow. White bread anyone?

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You call these "significant differences'? Type of cellphones and what you keep in your freezer? Wow. White bread anyone?
Please explain, I don't understand the white bread reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It all comes down to brisket, doesn't it?
Well, I suppose it does.

As it is, right before I took off to see him, I was cooking one......and it took forever. Don't know if it was the stove, the "recipe", the particular cut or what, but it wasn't until 12 hours, as oppose to the usual 7, where I was ready to declare it as "done". As it is, as tough as this one turned out to be, I'll probably store it as stew beef.

In a way, it is interesting. Growing up, he was the one who was forever cooking the bar b q for himself, for us. Now, I'm the one working with huge cuts of beef.

I suppose it could be that he has a 10 year old daughter and how one cooks around children differs from how one cooks as a single adult.

But, I had "this talk with myself" on my drive back. Ie, is that the kind of life for me? And it was, no. Country, not city. Single, not parent. And we have different views on pets.

But other than those things...............

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 PM

22,701 posts, read 47,906,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We can't control who our family is and we are often radically different from them.
I would not call brisket storage & cell phone preference as "radically different" in this case.
The OP sound like she is looking for things that aren't there/don't matter in the big picture.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 01-02-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,874,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What about you? See significant differences in your siblings?
My brother & I have a lot of similarities.

Hmm..Differences.....
He's had cable for years, I just got it this year along with a TV (haven't owned my own TV for 8 years)
We both love to read, but in addition to my many books (3 large shelves), I also use the Kindle
He doesn't use an iPad. I have the iPad 2 & mini (plus 3 Kindles)
He no longer has a desktop PC. I do (plus a laptop)
...yea...I love techie stuff, but I still love the paper.
He cooks more gourmet stuff than I do, but I'm the queen of 1 day weekly prep
He has a BBQ, I don't. I use a stove-top grill & convention oven. Works fine for me

Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 PM

35,197 posts, read 31,523,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would not call brisket storage & cell phone preference as "radically different" in this case.
The OP sound like she is looking for things that aren't there/don't matter in the big picture.
It's often little things that separate us the most. I'm a stickler for keeping my car clean. I see lots of cars that are utterly trashed and you can't even see the floor. You could just chalk that up to a messy person. I take it as someone who has no pride in keeping their property up. It's small, but those are different viewpoints that clash.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's often little things that separate us the most. I'm a stickler for keeping my car clean. I see lots of cars that are utterly trashed and you can't even see the floor. You could just chalk that up to a messy person. I take it as someone who has no pride in keeping their property up. It's small, but those are different viewpoints that clash.
Are you sure you didn't see my car?

As it is, that's one of the things on the list for the new year, to "de mission" my car and get more duffel bags.

"De Mission" when I clean it out from all the built up trips it has done. The Forester is very good for a single person in that it can go through a lot of trips before it finally needs to be cleaned up. Now that I have finally given my brother the Christmas present that has traveled around in the car for the past year, I can.

As far as duffel bags go, such as those at REI (I think the kind I use are the predecessors to the Road tripper line), it makes it easier to load up the car for this or that trip. Think this last one, I took three bags: one for clothes and sleeping bag, one for emergency gear (which stayed in the car while I was there), and one for my rifle (and leave it there, this is not that kind of discussion).

But cars are one of those things. He's a lawyer/landsman/businessman of a sort, he drives a Corolla; I drive a Forester and do a lot of outdoor work. Before I took off on this trip, I threw a number of items from the F250 (like the emergency gear duffel, the fire extinguishers) into the Forester. And, since I was traveling across country, I did put a 6 gallon jerry can of water in the back. Whether the fear is to be broken down in Texas summer or trapped on a highway in a Texas blizzard, I carry gear.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,425,082 times
Did not see my siblings or my parents this holiday season, but I think our similarities are more striking than our differences. Same with my in-laws, with whom we did spend the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships