Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,555 times

Advertisements

I was just browsing around the website of our builder. No real reason, just felt like surfing. I came across my EXACT house but in Chapel Hill and almost $100K MORE than I paid!!!!! Unless this house has a gigantic lot, I have seen the proof that you get more house for your money in different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I saw something very similar to this. We looked at a house in Knightdale that was $150K. A few months later I saw the same exact house in a great location in N. Raleigh for $205K. Same lot size and only minimal upgrades. Location, Location, Location....

Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
Lot cost has a lot to do with that. A builder will spend more to buy lots in more "desirable" areas. They pass that expense on to the buyer...

Old 04-12-2007, 03:34 PM

112 posts, read 760,072 times
Our house is selling for over $100k more one town over.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
I was just browsing around the website of our builder. No real reason, just felt like surfing. I came across my EXACT house but in Chapel Hill and almost $100K MORE than I paid!!!!! Unless this house has a gigantic lot, I have seen the proof that you get more house for your money in different areas.
Whether you get more house for your money in a particular area depends on what you mean by "more." I'm sure that your house is located in a nice place but Chapel Hill probably the most desirable area in the Triangle. People are willing to pay a premium for Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools, low crime, price stability, etc. Your priorities may be different.

I agree that the price difference is notable.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheel View Post
Whether you get more house for your money in a particular area depends on what you mean by "more." I'm sure that your house is located in a nice place but Chapel Hill probably the most desirable area in the Triangle. People are willing to pay a premium for Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools, low crime, price stability, etc. Your priorities may be different.

I agree that the price difference is notable.
sdheel,

I think your post is absolutely right. I find it interesting that some people (not this thread in particular) express amazement at the price differences. There is often a hint that they don't feel the price difference is justified or that it's just crazy someone would pay that much more for the exact same house located elsewhere.

The fact is that the real estate market is governed by supply and demand. These prices aren't just made up. The larger the price difference between two exact homes - the larger the preference the buyer community has for one property over the other. As you state - it just comes down to priorities and preferences.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
I found my exact house for just a little bit more than we're paying for our resale but brand spanking new However, I was pacified by discovering that it's located in the way way north of Durham, whereas ours is a quick little hop to get on I40 (not to mention our back yard is fenced in, we're getting nice $$ towards our closing costs, the original owners took an option to add a bedroom, and our HOA fees are nice and low). Our floorplan is also for sale brand new in two other north Durham locations but for 40k and 100k more. The lots in the other two neighborhoods are much larger, and back to forests. It was fun to also find a video showcasing the model home of our floorplan. I may check it out after we move in for ideas

Last edited by Indigoblue; 04-12-2007 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I sold a townhouse that was built by Standard Pacific Homes (Westfield Homes for those of you that have been around a bit longer). It was listed in North Raleigh for $170s. They were building the exact same neighborhood in Durham for $150s. The North Raleigh neighborhood sold out wayyyyy before the Durham neighborhood even with the price difference. Location, location, location.
Vicki

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I sold a townhouse that was built by Standard Pacific Homes (Westfield Homes for those of you that have been around a bit longer). It was listed in North Raleigh for $170s. They were building the exact same neighborhood in Durham for $150s. The North Raleigh neighborhood sold out wayyyyy before the Durham neighborhood even with the price difference. Location, location, location.
Vicki
Where in the city was the Durham one located?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
It's the same thing everywhere else in the country as well. There's always more desirable and expensive parts of the area, and the less expensive and less desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary