Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:34 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

This is in a response to another story that i will not repeat here.

How many of you are tall and were asked by another customer to reach for something high on a shelf?

Was it annoying?

I am fairly tall,but i had not thought about it until now.

In the context of it,that was rude of the other short customers to ask me to reach for something(unless it was an elderly person or child,then it is not rude)

If something is in the bottom of a shelf,i do not go around asking short customers to grab it for me,so why is it okay the other way around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
The body of your post doesn't match the question in the header. To answer the question I'm average height (5'5" or thereabouts) and, yes, there have been times when I've politely asked/begged someone taller than I to reach something I can't get to. Never had anybody even look at me sideways and can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would be offended. I'd do and have done the same for someone shorter than me with no hesitation or second thought at all.

You've seriously got your priorities messed up if you consider it rude of someone to ask you.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

How many of you are tall and were asked by another customer to reach for something high on a shelf?

Was it annoying?

In the context of it,that was rude of the other short customers to ask me to reach for something(unless it was an elderly person or child,then it is not rude)

If something is in the bottom of a shelf,i do not go around asking short customers to grab it for me,so why is it okay the other way around?
I get asked occasionally to get things from higher shelves for people in the supermarket. Sometimes I can see them looking at me and I can tell they want to ask but are afraid to, so I just offer. No, I'm not offended and I don't think it's rude, just sensible on their part. Hey, I've been made fun of since I was a kid because I am too tall, shut out of dating for the most part because I am too tall, had to bend and stoop in a world constructed for shorter people because I'm too tall, have limited clothing choices, etc...if that's a tiny way I can be appreciated for being too tall, I don't mind. They are usually grateful and very nice when they ask.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-18-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 05:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Yup, 5'9" here, and it happens, not often, but occasionally. I take no offense in being asked.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:

Was it annoying?

Why would you even think about asking a short person to get something on the bottom shelf? A tall person can get that for themselves.
I don't get the comparison.

I'm tall. I think I have been asked but usually when I see a shorter person struggling to reach something I always go over and give my assistance. Never a big deal and always appreciated by the shorter person.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:

Was it annoying?

LOL! what should I do, climb the shelves ?

I've asked people, after trying to reach something too high.... it certainly never seemed to bother them.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
I've had both happen. There have been times I've asked tall people to reach things out of reach of my arms. Then there have been times when I've been asked to get something off a shelf from someone very short.

I've never considered it rude or an imposition to have it asked of me and no one seems to have minded when I've asked. It's just common courtesy.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:01 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
So what prompted this, my fellow Jersey Woman?

Somebody caught you in the wrong mood, asked you to reach for the Raisin Bran, and you stomped her down?

Seriously, what made you ask this question? There has to be a story behind it!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:01 PM

92 posts, read 229,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL! what should I do, climb the shelves ?

I've asked people, after trying to reach something too high.... it certainly never seemed to bother them.
I'm 5 ft tall and there are many times I've climbed the grocery store shelves (since the good stuff is always on the top). Occasionally, tall people will offer to help, but I don't want to bother strangers to help me out. Although - speaking from the point of someone who is always struggling to reach things, it is greatly appreciated when there is an offer of assistance.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I think I know the news story you are referencing.

I'm 5'5". Once in a while I get asked to reach something. If I see someone needing help I offer. I've asked for help a few times. I don't consider it a bother.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 12-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: you are not your
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships