Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,362,325 times

Advertisements

Many here remember my former friend - the widow I used to hang out with. Well, she called me.

Her: Hey, how have you been?"
Me: "I'm fine, you?"
Her: I'm okay. Haven't seen you. Usually one of my [grown] kids run into you at a store (we live 10 minutes apart; sometimes shop at the same stores)
Me: I've been busy, with work, car shows, etc.
Her: Listen, the kids and grandchildren ask about you all the time...how about you come see everybody and say hi? I'll make dinner, you hang out with everyone."
Me: "I'll let you know. Things are crazy with work and all...."
Her: "Find anyone yet?"
Me: "Talking to a couple of women" (she asked for details, I didn't give).
Her: "Okay, how about one day next week?"
Me: "I'll let you know ASAP."

She is a terrific mom and grandma; kids and grandchildren are really cool. BUT...I refuse to get "vortexed" into the craziness again! I don't know. Maybe an ulterior motive? I walked away from her nearly three months ago - got tired of the craziness. Now she contacts me, asking to have dinner with her family. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,063,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Many here remember my former friend - the widow I used to hang out with. Well, she called me.

Her: Hey, how have you been?"
Me: "I'm fine, you?"
Her: I'm okay. Haven't seen you. Usually one of my [grown] kids run into you at a store (we live 10 minutes apart; sometimes shop at the same stores)
Me: I've been busy, with work, car shows, etc.
Her: Listen, the kids and grandchildren ask about you all the time...how about you come see everybody and say hi? I'll make dinner, you hang out with everyone."
Me: "I'll let you know. Things are crazy with work and all...."
Her: "Find anyone yet?"
Me: "Talking to a couple of women" (she asked for details, I didn't give).
Her: "Okay, how about one day next week?"
Me: "I'll let you know ASAP."

She is a terrific mom and grandma; kids and grandchildren are really cool. BUT...I refuse to get "vortexed" into the craziness again! I don't know. Maybe an ulterior motive? I walked away from her nearly three months ago - got tired of the craziness. Now she contacts me, asking to have dinner with her family. What gives?
I guess she wants the craziness with you back

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,362,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I guess she wants the craziness with you back
She ain't getting it back! Not with me.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
She is used to you in her orbit. This isn't hard. Just remember that nothing has changed to diminish the crazy. It's still there, just waiting.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,063,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
She ain't getting it back! Not with me.
So that means you will not go there.

Problem solved. Thread closed.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,082,362 times
Thread re-opened.

hmmm....

Thread closed again.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So that means you will not go there.

Problem solved. Thread closed.
You mean you are tired of talking about her? That would make you.........normal.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,914,537 times
could you humor her and the kids and just drop by? It's up to you whether or not you get sucked into the craziness

Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,558,044 times
Why should he 'humor' her? So he can get sucked back into her BS? She's going to drill him for details on who he's mingling with, might even drum up some exaggerated drama just to get him back in orbit. She mentioned the kids as 'bait'.

I wouldn't have even taken the call, you already know what it's about, and you knew it was going to happen--as was said above, 'she's used to having you in orbit'. She's the sort that should you ignore her and then she sees you at a bar having a drink with a ladyfriend, guaranteed she'd make some sort of scene, subtle or not.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,604,843 times
What gives? I don't know the back story, but it's fairly irrelevant. If you didn't tell her that you were distancing yourself, it's understandable that she's trying to reconnect. You made a decision to walk away, but you didn't let her know about your decision. So of course she's going to continue to reach out. If you don't want her to, you need to man up and say so. Otherwise don't be surprised if it happens again.

And if you have no intention of going over there, you should have just said so up front, rather than making it sound like you were entertaining the idea.

If you're going to draw a line in the sand, make sure it's not invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships