Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:50 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,943,624 times

Advertisements

My ex-stepfather is (was?) a self-serving liar who always had some scam he was running. He was actually proud of some of his illegal stunts and would actually boast about them. For example, when he had an active practice in Florida, one of his patients sued him for malpractice - this doesn't surprise me since he was an awful doctor. Well, the very night before the trial was to start, my stepfather's medical clinic burned to the ground. All his medical records were destroyed along with everything else, so the case was dismissed. My stepfather thought this was the best joke ever, but for some reason he never practiced medicine again although he kept his license current.

He was 10 years younger than my Mom when they got married. She was 62 and by time he divorced her when she was 79, she had started to get pretty confused about finances and he was able to rip her off for a considerable sum. I tried to intervene, but the court decided that she knew what she was doing. Two years later she died of Alzheimer's.

A few weeks ago, I got to thinking about what he had done to my Mom and just for the heck of it, I looked him up on the Internet, figuring that he would have passed on by now and maybe that would help me put this whole sorry episode to rest. Surprise! He turned up listed as having an active practice in a whole new specialty; that he had graduated from an entirely different med school than the one he really did; that he had been in active practice for 66 years rather than the 7 or 8 that he had really been in and more lies in addition.

I can't help but think that his daughter is up to something (she is as crazy as he was) and is somehow using her Dad's medical license for her own benefit. She did go to med school but flunked out not once but twice. I know that there are some people at age 93 who are still going strong, but all those lies? Something is really fishy here and I wonder if I should report my concerns to anyone or should I just let it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 10:29 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,562,630 times
I think this merits some more research and reporting if something potentially illegal is going on.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think this merits some more research and reporting if something potentially illegal is going on.
I did find my stepfather's name in on a fairly major "rate your doctor" website, so I went ahead and "rated" him, listing some of my concerns. They sent me and e-mail and said they would have to take what I wrote under advisement before publishing it on their site. About a week later they sent me an e-mail informing me that they were publishing my negative review in full. That's great if anyone uses that site to check him out, but many people don't bother with those things. I'm wondering if I should contact someone more official?

Old 10-06-2021, 06:04 AM

30,555 posts, read 16,247,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I did find my stepfather's name in on a fairly major "rate your doctor" website, so I went ahead and "rated" him, listing some of my concerns. They sent me and e-mail and said they would have to take what I wrote under advisement before publishing it on their site. About a week later they sent me an e-mail informing me that they were publishing my negative review in full. That's great if anyone uses that site to check him out, but many people don't bother with those things. I'm wondering if I should contact someone more official?

I would. Leave the objective investigating up to them. If there's something to find they'll find it and deal with it. You'll be out of the picture and any potential revenge on his part.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
You can always file a complaint with the state’s medical board. The process is slow, but at least someone will look into it.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 11,563,293 times
Why not report your suspicions to whatever agency in his state licenses physicians? That would have a lot more clout than some internet review site.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,159,950 times
Florida has required electronic records for decades. If he did not comply with this, when the patient sued him, there likely would have been a preclusion order issued against him in the trial, and this would have come out years before trial. Without medical records, the trial would have proceeded and the patient almost certainly would have prevailed. Nonetheless, I am sorry that this happened. I am surprised that the attorney for the plaintiff did not request an arson investigation, and it is very difficult to hide arson. Was this in the 1960s or earlier? that may explain some of these incredible facts.

Regardless, I would contact the state licensing board and medicare to investigate potential fraud.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:39 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,558,383 times
Yes - but I would go directly to law enforcement -- they can decide how to best address it.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Florida has required electronic records for decades. If he did not comply with this, when the patient sued him, there likely would have been a preclusion order issued against him in the trial, and this would have come out years before trial. Without medical records, the trial would have proceeded and the patient almost certainly would have prevailed. Nonetheless, I am sorry that this happened. I am surprised that the attorney for the plaintiff did not request an arson investigation, and it is very difficult to hide arson. Was this in the 1960s or earlier? that may explain some of these incredible facts.

Regardless, I would contact the state licensing board and medicare to investigate potential fraud.
This probably would have happened in the late 60's to early 70's. My stepfather is a very clever man. He was always tinkering with one invention or another and claimed that his father had invented the hypodermic needle?? At any rate, if someone could get away with arson, it would haven been him. And interestingly enough, he had a beautiful home that he built up in the mountains which also burned to the ground without him being charged with anything. The insurance DID pay out and fattened his bank account by quite a bit. The man has been involved in shady doings every since I've known him.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:58 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
This probably would have happened in the late 60's to early 70's. My stepfather is a very clever man. He was always tinkering with one invention or another and claimed that his father had invented the hypodermic needle?? At any rate, if someone could get away with arson, it would haven been him. And interestingly enough, he had a beautiful home that he built up in the mountains which also burned to the ground without him being charged with anything. The insurance DID pay out and fattened his bank account by quite a bit. The man has been involved in shady doings every since I've known him.
Even so, in his new state, he either got a license or is practicing without a valid license. Either one is a reason for the state medical board to investigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships