Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 02:18 PM

2,140 posts, read 365,567 times

Advertisements

I hope you find away to leave these apparently toxic unlawful folks behind, figure out a way to plant a seed somewhere so they get checked out without their knowing it was you. If they’re just creepy, then they’re just creepy. If they’re giving medical care illegally, they need to stop. That’s so wrong.

I just get flashbacks from making the mistakes I did - I didn’t know how destructive and scary things could get when I took action to (I thought) split the marriage contract fairly and amicably with the kids being the absolute priority. And a monster was born. Ugh. It could have been so simple, but he was obsessed with destroying me. It actually took a lot of effort on his part but he had to crush me.

There was no house, it was pretty simple - but that wasn’t going to happen. My red flags go up when I read your situation. I could be completely wrong - it could just be the PTSD flaring up.

You’re in a tough spot, it seems. Take good care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 11:22 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,890,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for your explanation of how those on-line Dr. review sites work. I hadn't explored them thoroughly enough to realize their flaws. Your post makes certain things less puzzling to me.

I should explain that my concern is as much about his failed MD daughter as it is him. "Kathleen" is 60 now and all of her life she has depended on Daddy to get her out of trouble and provide the money she requires to live her preferred lifestyle. Since "Daddy" is not going to be around much longer, she may have hit upon some scam where she's the one who actually sees patients and writes any prescriptions. However, this is pure speculation on my part, and I can't report something that is only speculation.

I really have come to the opinion that the wisest thing is just to let this one go, and leave the medical detective thing for someone who has the training for it. What my stepfather did to my Mom (and me) was awful. But my Mom has passed on now, and soon He'll pass as well. Much as I wish, I can't change the past.

I moved 400 miles away from my hometown to get away from him among other reasons. I feel sorry for anyone back home who encounters him whether for medical reasons or anything else, but distance makes for a real difficulty and searches on the Internet can be fraught with problems as Brightsider has reminded me.

Talking things over with someone like a therapist could be very useful. Thanks for the suggestion!
Why is it a scam for a licensed physician to see patients and write prescriptions? Do you believe a sixty year old woman is impersonating a 93 year old man?

Old 10-11-2021, 02:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,180,118 times
Quote:

Yet, he was a very wealthy man. He claimed he got royalties for the hypodermic needle his father invented.....
I love a mystery so did some research just for the heck of it.

I think you got scammed about his father inventing anything. Unless his father was born more than 200 years ago and his last name was either Rynd or Pravaz or Wood I'd take that claim about his father inventing the hypodermic needle with a very tiny pinch of salt.

The first hollow steel hypodermic needles were invented first in 1844 by Dr. Francis Rynd of Dublin, Ireland (b. 1801 - d. 1861) and then a more refined needle version was invented in 1853 by both Dr. Charles Gabriel Pravaz of France (b. 1791 – d. 1853) and Dr. Alexander Wood of Edinburgh, Scotland (b. 1817- d. 1884) by combining a functional syringe with a finer, smaller hollow steel hypodermic needle.

If you do the math you'll see it's impossible for any one of the true inventors to have fathered any man who is still alive today in 2021. I guess it's possible that one of them could have been his grandfather or great grandfather - however there are no royalties going to any descendents of the inventors of hypodermic needles but there are patents pending on improved needles submitted after 1951. The current patent holder is a man named Bronislow J. Yanus, his patent filed in 1951.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-11-2021 at 02:10 AM..

Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 AM

1,712 posts, read 796,995 times
Don't report your old man, let him fall into the trap of his own making without your interference. That's what I would do, anyway.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,969,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why is it a scam for a licensed physician to see patients and write prescriptions? Do you believe a sixty year old woman is impersonating a 93 year old man?
No, I believe that a woman without a medical degree may have concocted a scam with her Dad to fleece unsuspecting patients. Maybe she pretends to be a PA or a nurse. This sounds outrageous, but if you knew these people, I'm pretty sure you'd agree that I have a right to be suspicious of them.

Seems like some people are coming at this thinking these people are some nice American family. Unfortunately, the kind of family they resemble is more along the lines of La Cosa Nostra. My stepfather's favorite movie of all time is The Sting. He loves the idea of ripping people off with some outrageous con. Always has.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I love a mystery so did some research just for the heck of it.

I think you got scammed about his father inventing anything. Unless his father was born more than 200 years ago and his last name was either Rynd or Pravaz or Wood I'd take that claim about his father inventing the hypodermic needle with a very tiny pinch of salt.

The first hollow steel hypodermic needles were invented first in 1844 by Dr. Francis Rynd of Dublin, Ireland (b. 1801 - d. 1861) and then a more refined needle version was invented in 1853 by both Dr. Charles Gabriel Pravaz of France (b. 1791 – d. 1853) and Dr. Alexander Wood of Edinburgh, Scotland (b. 1817- d. 1884) by combining a functional syringe with a finer, smaller hollow steel hypodermic needle.

If you do the math you'll see it's impossible for any one of the true inventors to have fathered any man who is still alive today in 2021. I guess it's possible that one of them could have been his grandfather or great grandfather - however there are no royalties going to any descendents of the inventors of hypodermic needles but there are patents pending on improved needles submitted after 1951. The current patent holder is a man named Bronislow J. Yanus, his patent filed in 1951.

Yeah, I know. I never challenged my stepfather on this particular lie because it would only have resulted in an unpleasant exchange of words and sooner or later either me or my Mom would pay for my defiance. I think he later changed his claim to what he had invented to something else, but I can't remember what it was.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:21 PM

Default The rest of the story

So, I did another Internet search about my stepfather in order to find some answers to questions folks here asked. Guess what? The whole question is moot. Stanley passed away on Oct 4th of this year. Good riddance! I also discovered that he was one of the doctors who helped fuel Colorado's opioid epidemic. While he was still alive, he prescribed an average of 5,000 OxyContin per year. Dr. Feel Good, indeed. I knew he was up to something and maybe now he's getting his just reward! Or not. At least Colorado has finally been spared one of the biggest quacks around.

I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I want to do the Snoopy dance!

I'd like to thank every single person who replied to this thread. Some of your replies really made me re-think certain things and most responses were helpful in one way or another. Thanks, guys!

Old 10-11-2021, 02:09 PM

10,221 posts, read 7,640,528 times
Quote:
I did find my stepfather's name in on a fairly major "rate your doctor" website, so I went ahead and "rated" him, listing some of my concerns. They sent me and e-mail and said they would have to take what I wrote under advisement before publishing it on their site. About a week later they sent me an e-mail informing me that they were publishing my negative review in full. That's great if anyone uses that site to check him out, but many people don't bother with those things. I'm wondering if I should contact someone more official?
I say yes, since people's health and lives may be at risk. Report to some official and leave it up to them. So if anyone gets harmed from him or his daughter, you'll know you did your duty to protect others.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:43 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,890,248 times
Quote:
No, I believe that a woman without a medical degree may have concocted a scam with her Dad to fleece unsuspecting patients. Maybe she pretends to be a PA or a nurse. This sounds outrageous, but if you knew these people, I'm pretty sure you'd agree that I have a right to be suspicious of them.

Seems like some people are coming at this thinking these people are some nice American family. Unfortunately, the kind of family they resemble is more along the lines of La Cosa Nostra. My stepfather's favorite movie of all time is The Sting. He loves the idea of ripping people off with some outrageous con. Always has.
You said his "MD daughter," now you say she has no medical degree. I think your venom has taken over any sense of objectivity you may have ever had. Your guessing at any credentials she has is proof of nothing regarding them but speaks volumes about your "mission."

Old 10-11-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You said his "MD daughter," now you say she has no medical degree. I think your venom has taken over any sense of objectivity you may have ever had. Your guessing at any credentials she has is proof of nothing regarding them but speaks volumes about your "mission."
In my very first post I stated, "She [his daughter] did go to med school but flunked out not once but twice."

Later I added Sure she [the daughter] flunked out of med school twice, but she probably learned enough to fake it to a certain extent. (post 31)

I'll be generous and just assume that you misread this sentence I should explain that my concern is as much about his failed MD daughter as it is him. (post 50)

I don't expect folks to hang on to my every word, but if you're going to accuse me of something, you should be sure that you know what you are talking about.

I don't know what causes you to be so hostile except for the fact that we play on different teams over in the Politics Forum. If so, it's just one more example of the way Americans can get polarized over politics these days.

Is it possible to leave the snarkiness behind in the POC forum where it belongs and be civil if we happen to encounter one another in other places on CD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships