Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Technically, I don't care how many people are in their apartment, as long as I'm not aggravated. No other kids in the complex aggravate anyone (and my neighbor behind me has the same problem with these girls), and their younger brother and sister are very polite and well mannered.

Not all low income parents are deadbeats. I used to work as an Adm Asst for a large school district, and the low income parents would share a house with another family. All the parents worked minimum wage jobs, and the kids were all well behaved.

I live in Barrio Logan, which is a neighborhood in San Diego, and it's not ghetto by any means, it's just lower income. I don't have cafes, coffeehouses and restaurants on every corner, and don't want them. There are areas here that really are ghetto, and I wouldn't live in them.

Last edited by moved; 01-21-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
Open the door prior to the girls knocking on the door. If you cannot do that get an air horn and when they knock you see them push the air horn. Scare them. As for the window when sleeping if your window is open put a pan by the window with water in it and dump it on them while they are outside the window. If that does not work sound off the air horn. If the manager has an issue with the air horn well you have an issue with these kids and he is discriminating.

When someone makes a noise complaint or the girls show up on door step because their hair is wet look at them stupid like and say I don't know what happened.

I had some kids doing ding dong ditch to us one year finally I bought a big cactus and put it in front of the door bell. That stopped it really fast.
I never know when they're going to knock on the door, and they're not at the door long enough to do anything to them.

I don't have a doorbell, and don't open the door when anyone knocks on the door, and a cactus wouldn't do any good.

The problem is going to be resolved one way or another. The manager here has to be at work at 4am, so I don't always see him, and I also work. That's why the property manager has 30 days to take care of the problem.

Like I said before, if it's still going on by February 8, I go to the county. They haven't knocked in two days, but that doesn't make any difference.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well you said you talked to the kids, and tried to be nice, etc. You are acting like a grumpy old man. No wonder they are picking on you. You are making it so easy. Have you, for 2 seconds, found any compassion for the children living in that situation? My guess is no
Their living situation isn't his problem and doesn't excuse their behavior. The OP doesn't deserve to have his life disrupted by some low-class freeloaders. I'd report their ass*es to CPS and the county and wouldn't feel an ounce of remorse. If the parents aren't working and living off the system, they have plenty of free time to ensure their children are kept in line.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM

GoFigureMeOut is right.

Since I moved into my apartment last May, it started with my next door neighbor partying all night. I let it go on for three months, only because I had just moved in, but I documented everything. The last time they partied, her boyfriend at the time played his accordion at 2 and 4am. The next time I saw him, I told him if there was a next time, I would call the police and they would discuss it with them. That was the end of the partying.

Then the girls started sitting outside with my neighbor. All of them would carry on loudly, and they didn't like it when I asked them to keep the noise down because I had to go to work in the morning. After that is when the knocking started.

But I'm not being nice anymore, so they need to watch their step. My being nice days are over.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Are there any older teenagers living in your complex that you're friendly with? Recruit a couple of them to guard your part of the complex and if those girls come around, the teens can water-pistol them or paint-ball them, rub Crisco on them, or some other non-illegal-but-annoying thing. If they complain, well it's just a teen prank on the same level as their tormenting a neighbor. Fight fire with fire and they will quickly get tired of their game.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
To all of those who have told me to move, this is what you need to know. I moved twice in the past year, and don't intend to move again, until a one bedroom opens up in my complex. Some people have been living here for over 15 year, and the manager has been here for 30 years.

I like the area that I live in. It's convenient, I don't have to drive, and it's affordable. Another apartment would cost me $200-$250 more than I pay now per month, plus the deposit, first month's rent, and moving expenses. I'm on SS, and also work.

As of this morning, I emailed the property manager an attachment with he latest problems with these girls. I'm giving him until February 8 to resolve the problem (I met with him on January 8). He has to get together with the manager here who works odd hours to translate for him. If it's still going on by February 8, I'll send the property manager an email that I plan to go to the county on February 9 (if I don't work that day).

And I will.
Well have you talked to other neighbors about the issue? There is strength in numbers. Surely others are annoyed by their behavior.

Instead of you just contacting the property manager get at least 5 or 6 other tenants on board with you.

And this may sound mean but these girls are old enough to understand that living that many people in a one bedroom is not allowed. Perhaps a comment letting them know that if they can't tone it down it could result in their family being evicted might scare them straight.

Might sound harsh, but they're at best brats, knowing they could be out on the street might be enough to get them to knock it off.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Are there any older teenagers living in your complex that you're friendly with? Recruit a couple of them to guard your part of the complex and if those girls come around, the teens can water-pistol them or paint-ball them, rub Crisco on them, or some other non-illegal-but-annoying thing. If they complain, well it's just a teen prank on the same level as their tormenting a neighbor. Fight fire with fire and they will quickly get tired of their game.
No. I don't have anything to do with the kids. I live here, and have my own life.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well have you talked to other neighbors about the issue? There is strength in numbers. Surely others are annoyed by their behavior. Yes, but they won't speak up.

Instead of you just contacting the property manager get at least 5 or 6 other tenants on board with you. They won't do anything.

And this may sound mean but these girls are old enough to understand that living that many people in a one bedroom is not allowed. Perhaps a comment letting them know that if they can't tone it down it could result in their family being evicted might scare them straight. I've made a couple of comments to that affect, but I don't know if it worked or not.

Might sound harsh, but they're at best brats, knowing they could be out on the street might be enough to get them to knock it off.
I told them that if I'm forced to contact the county, that they probably won't be living there anymore.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:34 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well you said you talked to the kids, and tried to be nice, etc. You are acting like a grumpy old man. No wonder they are picking on you. You are making it so easy. Have you, for 2 seconds, found any compassion for the children living in that situation? My guess is no
Unless you've lived someplace where overcrowded housing is commonplace, then you don't understand what it is like to deal with the problems that come with that life style. It's even worse if it is a community where the local elected officials repeatedly side with the scofflaws by making laws that have no teeth in them.

These kids were not raised properly and apparently can't understand the concept that most people have to work for a living, thus need their rest.

I would be grumpy in that situation, too. I like to take a live and let live attitude but sometimes there are inconsiderate people who push others to the edge.

BTW, I would be happy to have a neighbor like the OP. There are 3 things I expect from my neighbors and that is that they are clean, quiet and law abiding. It seems to me that the OP more than meets those qualifications.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

I'm a landlord's dream tenant. I'm semi-retired, pay my rent on time, quiet, mind my own business (unless someone gets into mine), and have one indoor cat that I declare in advance when asking about renting. If I'm told, "no pets," I just thank them for their time, and move on. When I applied for this place, I was asked how many people and any pets. I said, "one person, one indoor cat," and was told no problem.

One duplex as a no pets unit, and the residents bought a pitbull. The property manager said he's not going to renew their lease in July, so that unit is supposed to be mine, and it's a one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.