Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:48 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,367,661 times

Advertisements

A woman who treat her husband like a man-child in front of her children. Literally, when he is home, all he does is plop himself on the couch. Usually the TV is on. Any mess that is left behind, he leaves it for someone else to clean up. Always. She constantly nags him which is like beating a dead horse. The wife takes care almost all household and parental responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM

366 posts, read 411,620 times
Communicate. Don't nag or treat him like a child, talk to him like an adult.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Communicate. Don't nag or treat him like a child, talk to him like an adult.
I grew up in a family like this. And that was how my mom treated my dad. My mom and still does treat him like a child.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM

366 posts, read 411,620 times
Meh not dysfunctional, just kinda sad.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I grew up in a family like this. And that was how my mom treated my dad. My mom and still does treat him like a child.
Sounds like he acts like a child, too.

I agree, not truly dysfunctional. Just unfortunate.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,285,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
A woman who treat her husband like a man-child in front of her children. Literally, when he is home, all he does is plop himself on the couch. Usually the TV is on. Any mess that is left behind, he leaves it for someone else to clean up. Always. She constantly nags him which is like beating a dead horse. The wife takes care almost all household and parental responsibilities.
Not dysfunctional but, adults don't stay in relationships that they don't want.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,406,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Sure they do. Some people never leave, even if they're miserable.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Meh not dysfunctional, just kinda sad.
gotta agree with you there. He must have "selective hearing" as he passive aggressive just keeping his mouth shut when my mom nags and complains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Yes the do. A friend recently chatted to me about his relationship problems with his GF. He still with her because of financial reasons. Some couples are in co-dependent relationships which usually aren't healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Sure they do. Some people never leave, even if they're miserable.
Right on.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times
Nagging obviously doesn't work. If that's the only consequence to his behavior, and he's okay with dealing with it, she can nag until she has a heart attack. Waste of breath.

She needs to change tactics or leave.

Does he still get his laundry washed? Food on the table? Shopping done?

Just before I left my husband, we were in the store shopping for a big Thanksgiving dinner we were going to put on for all the "orphan" friends where we lived. A big potluck, but we were doing the turkey and other dishes. My problem with him was financial. He'd spend all his money, and then expect me to take up the slack. I complained, but I did it. Until that day ha ha! I'd been seeing a counselor and learned I needed to take action - words weren't working.

So, we get up to the checkout with a grocery cart full of food, and it's his turn to pay. He just stands there after the checker has rung everything up and looks at me like, well? In front of the clerk I said, it's your turn to pay. He said he didn't have the money. I took out of the bag a few things to make myself dinner, and asked the clerk to please check me out. I remember one of the items was an avocado. I wanted an avocado sandwich.

So, I paid for my sandwich fixings, and walked out of the store, told the clerk sorry for the hassle about the groceries in the bags that I wasn't going to pay for. My husband very dramatically took the bags and put them into the cart and slowly went around all the aisles putting everything back. I waited in the car.

We ended up divorced, but I had to finally stand my ground with action, not words. Nagging is wasted breath and blood pressure.

Oh, and he did end up buying a turkey. I agreed to cook it.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nagging obviously doesn't work. If that's the only consequence to his behavior, and he's okay with dealing with it, she can nag until she has a heart attack. Waste of breath.

She needs to change tactics or leave.

Does he still get his laundry washed? Food on the table? Shopping done?

Just before I left my husband, we were in the store shopping for a big Thanksgiving dinner we were going to put on for all the "orphan" friends where we lived. A big potluck, but we were doing the turkey and other dishes. My problem with him was financial. He'd spend all his money, and then expect me to take up the slack. I complained, but I did it. Until that day ha ha! I'd been seeing a counselor and learned I needed to take action - words weren't working.

So, we get up to the checkout with a grocery cart full of food, and it's his turn to pay. He just stands there after the checker has rung everything up and looks at me like, well? In front of the clerk I said, it's your turn to pay. He said he didn't have the money. I took out of the bag a few things to make myself dinner, and asked the clerk to please check me out. I remember one of the items was an avocado. I wanted an avocado sandwich.

So, I paid for my sandwich fixings, and walked out of the store, told the clerk sorry for the hassle about the groceries in the bags that I wasn't going to pay for. My husband very dramatically took the bags and put them into the cart and slowly went around all the aisles putting everything back. I waited in the car.

We ended up divorced, but I had to finally stand my ground with action, not words. Nagging is wasted breath and blood pressure.

Oh, and he did end up buying a turkey. I agreed to cook it.
I don't see them getting a divorce anytime soon. Old habits die hard. My mom will nag and complain until she or my father dies. Things still get done. She's the one that does the laundry, cooks and gets the shopping done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships