Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Well, increased insurance premiums in high auto theft areas would affect you directly.
Not to mention in many cases, cars are stolen by people who do not have licenses....for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
So this is happening in PA? Is your town a community of nonviolent Amish? You must realize PA gives you the right to own a gun. If owners would keep a lookout and shoot the car thieves, I can assure you this would put an end to it immediately. Of course if that happened the local police would be upset; they need a certain amount of crime in town to make it look like they are needed.

Your town has a crime problem and the blame lies on the police.

Sorry folks, I believe that one has the right to leave an unlocked car running in their driveway. People in this neighborhood do it all the time, in a close-in suburb of a big, bad city, a city that continually makes the list of the 50 most violent cities on our planet. No cars have been stolen that way around here. Occasionally a car will be stolen during the night.

I would like to know when the silly assumptions that you people have will end. If it is perfectly ok to steal a car that is unlocked and running, is it perfectly ok to steal tools and patio furniture that have been left outside? How about children's play toys and bicycles; are they fair game too? Is it ok to break into a house if a door or window has been left unlocked? What about central AC units? Is it ok to steal them?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
So this is happening in PA? Is your town a community of nonviolent Amish? You must realize PA gives you the right to own a gun. If owners would keep a lookout and shoot the car thieves, I can assure you this would put an end to it immediately. Of course if that happened the local police would be upset; they need a certain amount of crime in town to make it look like they are needed.

Sorry folks, I believe that one has the right to leave an unlocked car running in their driveway. People in this neighborhood do it all the time, in a close-in suburb of a big, bad city, a city that continually makes the list of the 50 most violent cities on our planet. No cars have been stolen that way around here. Occasionally a car will be stolen during the night.

I would like to know when the silly assumptions that you people have will end. If it is perfectly ok to steal a car that is unlocked and running, is it perfectly ok to steal tools and patio furniture that have been left outside? How about children's play toys and bicycles; are they fair game too? Is it ok to break into a house if a door or window has been left unlocked? What about central AC units? Is it ok to steal them?
It really should not be a "right". Everyone should acknowledge it as a privilege... Unfortunately a unrealistic one in many areas.

I don't know why the high violent crime rate would matter at this point. Seattle has an extremely low violent crime rate, but a very high property crime rate. It is a very serious problem. The blame does lie on the cops; they don't even bother coming over to take a report. They just tell you to file it with your insurance company (though, how do you do that without a police report? I don't know.) And yes, people in Seattle get all shocked and offended when it happens to them, which is always a sad event... until you hear they essentially hand it off to those thieves (like having the doors unlocked with all the electronic gadgets inside for example). One of my friend left her Geo Metro running idle and unlocked when she went in to her school "for a minute"... on Broadway in Capitol Hill! Well, she's lucky they left the car there... but they had already stripped the inside of the car, and even took off with the dashboard. The insurance had to claim it as total loss.

And lastly, of course its "ok", that's why they're doing it!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
We saw people leaving their cars running while they went into stores all over Maine. It's a way of life there. Very refreshing.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

The "right" to leave an unlocked car running ... LOL.

Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I don't know about rights but I will say this about common sense. It seems to be lacking if you leave it running with the keys in the ignition.

We have a remote starter in the family that leaves the door unlocked but if you hit the brake to get it going, the engine cuts out. If you don't have a remote starter, get one - it costs as little as $150 installed.

There are also keyless entry systems that let you have the car run, lock the door from the outside, and without the key in the ignition. So the thief would have to at least break a window which takes time and effort (especially with tint) - and only to find that there's no key to start it up again for next time.

Don't just leave a car running with doors unlocked and keys in the ignition. You deserve what stupidity serves.

The only time it's ok to leave the car running like that is if you're doing a drop-off (books, mail, airport, etc.) at the curbside. Even then, I'd keyless lock the doors.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-12-2015 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
It all depends on where you live. There are places people don't lock ANYTHING at all believe it or not. Most everything is fear driven and media hype, but if you are in a city, it is common sense to lock things up due to drug addicts looking to score a quick $20 for a high. Crime is down in about every category, but with the media and the fear mongering going on to sell advertising, you would think we are all living in some war zone! Sad really.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 17,557 times
I have seen neighbors leave unlocked cars in driveway, with the garage opener on the visor, which means, you can get in the house. Many of these people probably do not have the door secured between the house and garage. Most of these people have a 2-3 car garage, and really not filled with junk! SMH

Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Stage one: The eternal optimist sees the world through those pretty rose-colored glasses at age 19 through 25.

Stage two: After several thefts of their valuables, the eternal optimist changes turns and begins growing up at age 26.

The various ages are not set in stone. Some people lack the sense God gave to rabbits.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
First let me say; this should be in automotive.

Second;etting your car run is a waste of gasoline.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that a vehicle with the top down, or no top, or doors, or a pickup truck bed, is off limits. I've yet to read or see anything on thefts of these vehicles, so I don't think an unlocked car, a clearly open, or not completly closed trunk, hatch, liftgate, or passenger door should be any different. It doesn't seem fair to blame the victim, and it isn't their fault their car was stolen, or stolen from, it is however by making it convenient. There's a difference in leaving your car unlocked, and having the criminal use force(break window, lock pick tool) to get in.

Yell all you want, but leaving your car unlocked, or running with a key, make any theft related to it partially your fault. Think of someone who has a house cat, an indoor, never supposed to be outside housecat, they tell you don't leave the door open, it'll get out. Who's fault is it when you leave the door open and it gets out, who's fault is it when you leave the door open, and a criminal gets in?

This is why I stopped leaving things in my car, that ¢75, or half smoked cigarette is enough initiative for someone to break in your car. I also don't know when they stopped, but locking center consoles, and glove boxes need to make a comback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships