Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
The intent of this thread is to be of a positive nature.

I'd like to see how many people love & respected their parents and what your age is.

I'm 57. I was raised by a loving stay at home Mom and my Dad worked in the Steel Mill. We were raised to respect, obey, go to church and love one another. We were spanked only on our butts and I remember jokingly telling my Mom to shut up and she slapped my face at age 15. I'm not emotionally scarred from that. I was raised to put myself in the other persons shoes and to "Do Unto Others". I was raised to think before I speak and that there are consequences for bad behavior.

Thank you in advance
IN this post is wisdom.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-11-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,150,610 times
Quote:

I'd like to see how many people love & respected their parents and what your age is.

I'm 57. I was raised by a loving stay at home Mom and my Dad worked in the Steel Mill. We were raised to respect, obey, go to church and love one another.
Unlike you I was raised in a not particularly religious Jewish background. I am a proud Jew.

I am also 57. Both my Mom and Dad and, after my Dad's death when he was 47 and I was 15 my stepdad were loving parents. I remember my stepdad the best and was closest to him.

My Dad died on January 5, 1973. My mother and stepdad went out for their first date that Valentine's Day and saw Deep Throat. They married June 13, 1974 by the same Rabbi that Bar Mitvahed me and conducted my Dad's funeral. And who married me 17 years later, on May 9, 1991. While I was closest to my stepdad all three were amazing even though I was a times hard to take.

Now I am a successful (though temporarily unemployed) lawyer, have a wife and two children, one 19 and one 7. I couldn't have done it without all three of my parents.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-11-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:

I don't want Parent Bashing and I don't want Psych Mumbo Jumbo. (I will ignore those)

I'm 57. I was raised by a loving stay at home Mom and my Dad worked in the Steel Mill. We were raised to respect, obey, go to church and love one another. We were spanked only on our butts and I remember jokingly telling my Mom to shut up and she slapped my face at age 15. I'm not emotionally scarred from that. I was raised to put myself in the other persons shoes and to "Do Unto Others". I was raised to think before I speak and that there are consequences for bad behavior.

Thank you in advance
There's a comic panel out there. A nearly empty auditorium. The banner over head reads -- Adult Children of Normal Parents. Annual Convention.

Grateful to be one of the few. Helped a lot when our mom died -- we clung together like we were on the life raft. No fighting, no bickering, just a few heartfelt and loving -- Mom always liked you best! (A family joke)

all three sisters stay in frequent touch...

Old 03-11-2015, 02:31 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,299,114 times
Good for you OP, mine was extremely abusive and the other was institutionalized for most of my childhood although he was/is a very "good" person.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-11-2015 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Orphaned response to now deleted portion in the OP

Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,126,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Was blessed with two parents who put the needs and wants of their two boys ahead of their own. Age 71.

(Was also blessed with a good wife who's losing her battle with dementia.)

That's 3 for 3. A guy can't ask for much more than that.
I'm so sorry that I missed your post yesterday. I'm trying to reply back in order.

I need to take lessons from you about keeping it short and sweet!

Thank you for realizing the blessing of your parent.

I'm so very sorry that you're losing your wife. I can only speak of what I've heard. I can't imagine all of the different phases of watching that disease take a little bit of your wife day by day. I can't imagine how your heart must ache for the person you married.

I do know that I'm deathly afraid of dementia and Alzheimer's.

From the bottom of my heart, I'll pray for continued strength for you. I can't begin to imagine walking in your shoes.

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Good for you OP, mine was extremely abusive and the other was institutionalized for most of my childhood although he was/is a very "good" person.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

I respect you and your profession and have for the past almost 30 years because I've suffered from depression, panic and anxiety. I've been in therapy off & on during those times and have been blessed to have had a couple of wonderful therapists like yourself. I currently am in counseling.

I am also healing and have been off and on. I was molested as a child. (and that's just coming out now). I lost my brother to suicide when I was 17. I was raped. I was in a marriage for 25 yrs to an alcoholic that beat me up twice, I found my 21 y/o son dead in his bedroom almost 5 years ago, my older son is going blind, I quit my dream job for what ended up to be workplace bullying for 11 years. My grief was used as a scapegoat for me quitting when in reality I walked out of that place because I caught my boss mocking me and that was the "straw that broke the camel's back". I went to counseling 2 years into that job to learn "coping skills" on how to deal with that type of environment. None of these things happened to me because of bad parenting.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-11-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
It's great to see a positive thread on CD.

Let me extend this topic to three blessings in my life; my mom and dad, my in-laws and my wife of 44 years.

My family was very poor. My dad had a 4th grade education and my mom finished the 8th grade. We did not have running water in our rented farm house until I was in junior high. My dad worked at terrible low-paying blue-collar jobs his entire life but upon his death none of my siblings could recall him ever "calling in sick." He possessed a kind heart and he was a true gentle man. At his death, the funeral home was so packed with people they had to stand in the hallway. My mom was a home maker who inherited intelligence and mechanical skills from an ancestral line of mechanics and gunsmiths. She could repair a broken light fixture with a pair of pliers and a bobby pin. Best of all, she too had a very gentle heart. Everyone loved her. I'm sure my parents were far from perfect but we loved them a lot because it was very obvious during every day of our young lives that they loved each of us.

My in-laws were very hard-working people who also had little money but they loved life, their children and their God. They supported me from the time I met them but most of all, they gave me my loving wife, another person in my life with a heart of gold and the gentleness of an angel.

Although my parents and my in-laws were all located in Texas, they never met each other. One was located on one side of the state and the other was on the far side. Neither family traveled much.

I miss them all.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!

You didn't have an easy childhood growing up, yet you are grateful for being given everything essential that can't be bought with money. The love and admiration for your parents shows in your kind words.

Your Mom and my Mom would have gotten along very well! haha

Congratulations on being married to your loving wife for 44 years. It warms my heart to see you speak so lovingly of her.

You are lucky to be blessed with having good in-laws. It's so nice how you love them and are grateful for how they raised her along with giving your wife to you.

It's funny how the things we're all grateful for in our parents is the love they gave us.

Thank you so much for being part of this and sharing.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,417,442 times
My mom is sweetheart, my pop is a true Mentor, they we're there for everything, they still are in alot of ways.

They saw their children go off to college and some to war, they saw their kids play club sports, HS sports and college sports. they saw their kids get married, build homes and start families of their own, they saw their kids become cops, fireman and Soldiers. They saw their grandchildren do the same, we we're and are blessed to be loved all the way through.

My Dad has since passed, my mom is still going strong with all the memories of family and friends who will always lover her. And the comfort to know that we will always be loved by her as well. Our family is so strong filled with pride, love and Respect. Thank you and Good day.

Knight

Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
My parents are my favorite people. Their love story is like one in the movies, and it continues today. Growing up on an island on the Southeastern coast surrounded by a large, loving family gave me confidence and wings. My parents always made sure I knew they loved and supported me no matter my choices. Their love for each other was strong and they included me in their circle. I go home whenever I can to the big, old house surrounded by oaks dripping with Spanish moss by the Atlantic Ocean. The peace that fills me when I go is like no other. I always feel welcome, and they always listen and give advice if asked. I love them, and know that I am lucky to have them.
Wow! I'm blown away with your description of your home. That sounds like a place where I can close my eyes and find a calmness picturing it.

Your love for your parents shows through your words and your admiration for their love for each other.

I bet they're proud of you.

Thank you for defending me also. That was very kind of you and I appreciate you coming to my rescue. I put myself in their shoes and they were right regarding my insensitive sentence in my topic.

Thank you so very much for everything!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
IN this post is wisdom.
Awww. That's so kind of you. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships