Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,728,402 times

Advertisements

This annoys me when people say this meaning they don't agree with my way of thinking. Somebody said this to me because I agree with gay marriage so there response was that they would pray for me. This really annoys me. I told them not to pray for me and no surprise, but, they were annoyed Am I they only one or anybody else like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,127,029 times
Some things aren't worth the amount of thought people give them.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,801,766 times
I say "go ahead, I don't think anyone will likely hear you though."

Last edited by The Dissenter; 03-16-2015 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
That is amazing someone is that out of touch.
Think it if you want, but say it to you? No way.

Good thing to say...

"No, I'll pray for YOU! Here... Lord, may Sue
please know that You have no concern about what we little creatures
do with our little genitals....and that You love everyone all the same....
and that there is no hell....and Jesus didn't come here to start a religion and
she understands the Bible is full of so many made up fantasies by primitive minds ....and...and... and..
."
Until she walks away from you..

Oh, here's another..."Instead, why don't you pray that I never become like you!"

Old 03-16-2015, 10:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
This annoys me when people say this meaning they don't agree with my way of thinking. Somebody said this to me because I agree with gay marriage so there response was that they would pray for me. This really annoys me. I told them not to pray for me and no surprise, but, they were annoyed Am I they only one or anybody else like me?
I've never heard anyone say it this way. I've only had people say it from a place of caring and concern.

By saying it like that, they're judging you, and that's not their job as Christians. Not to mention that it's passive-aggressive.

Not all Christians are like that. If you're around this person again, which I advise against, and they offer to "pray" for you this way, just tell them you'll pray for them for being judgmental as well.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,844,272 times
That's so self-righteous & patronizing to say 'I will pray for you'. I am a champion in arguing with such people. I am not religious, but spiritual & I don't have any issues with people following whatever faith they want or do not want to follow. But don't you dare make me feel bad about not believing in your ideologies. The other day one of my friends who doesn't drink alcohol for religious reasons forwarded a message about avoiding pepsi/coke because a drop of alcohol is added in them. I replied saying, alcohol is added in cough syrups & other medicines as well to make you numb & not feel the pain. So its ok to twist the religion for healing? He had no defense. You need to do in-depth research to make such people speechless. If you cant, tell them that "God loves all his creations just like a parent loves their kids & it would hurt a parent to see the siblings fighting & hating each other. 'I will pray for you' that you stop hating his creations & stop causing him immense pain".

PS: I have found that people say 'I will pray for you' when they are close to losing their argument or don't have enough material to backup their claims. They don't want to accept defeat & want to close the discussion with a dramatic line. Gives them a false feeling of winning an argument by having the last words. I often make fun of them quoting a movie or comedian's funny line about the subject & that makes them madder & madder that I am not taking them seriously.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 AM

917 posts, read 1,386,680 times
Quote:
LOL this happened to me!!! A former coworker sent me a message on FB after I posted a picture or status (dont remember) about supporting gay marriage. She said she would pray for me.. because I am going to hell for supporting a sin...

Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
as said to express support for grief or other troubles I have no problem. it is was presumptuous and offensive to say that to someone who supports gay marriage or any other issue they don't agree with. I too would also say don't bother, I don't need your kind of prayers.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,406,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I've never heard anyone say it this way. I've only had people say it from a place of caring and concern.

By saying it like that, they're judging you, and that's not their job as Christians. Not to mention that it's passive-aggressive.

Not all Christians are like that. If you're around this person again, which I advise against, and they offer to "pray" for you this way, just tell them you'll pray for them for being judgmental as well.
Of course it's their job to judge others. When religious people try to indoctrinate/convert you to their religious belief, they are in effect saying you are doing something wrong with your life if you don't believe the way they do, and they must help you correct yourself. You can't get much more judgmental than that.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 AM

19,887 posts, read 9,437,343 times
Quote:
I agree with you, except I usually reply with just "Thank you." (I am an agnostic, but I don't think it is necessary to submit them to a lecture on my personal beliefs.) Even though I know they usually mean no insult or harm -- with me, it was usually just something that some very nice people would say to me after the death of someone I loved, for example, as a way of letting me know they cared about me -- I just find it annoying. Not terribly annoying, but a little annoying.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-16-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships