Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,309,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia Drive Intellectual View Post
Good morning to you. I have awakened on this Saturday morning determined to find ways to meet other intellectual types in the suburbs.

We live in a bourgeoisie suburb of the sunny Southwest. Our neighbors are pleasant people; we've made a few friends with other couples in the area. But these connections are deficient in intellectual discourse. It seems as if suburban Americana lends itself to more glib relationships, leaving us feeling intellectually underwhelmed.

I would so enjoy an occasional intelligent, civil tête-a-tête, even if such a discussion must take place at a local suburban cliché such as a Starbucks patio.

My dearest wife and I so desire an evening of polite, educated company, yet we often find that discussions with others wander toward plebian topics such as ridiculous celebrity escapades and other trivial banter.

Our intellectual backgrounds often conflict with religion, and although we could attend a local service at a house of worship of some kind, we would rather not be forced to assume counterfeit pretenses for the purpose of meeting others.

Have you any suggestions about how we should proceed with meeting others like ourselves, in the rather spurious suburban culture of the Southwest?
OP, I do understand where you are coming from. Your written post makes you look like a pompous jerk. It would be a turn off to a lot of people.

In all honesty, you probably need to go find some hobbies that you like. Join some clubs and meet some people with some similar interests. I can't say celebrities or church won't still come up in discussion on occasion, but there will at least the topic at hand such as your hobby that you like.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 AM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
I have not awakened enough yet to feel intellectually underwhelmed. Who is in charge of popcorn?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,379,309 times
Be yourself, speak from your heart, tolerate the borish, and you'll attract your kind. Chances are they're looking for you too.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,239,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I opened this thread with interest, as I've had the same thought.
But I would rather forego intellectual discussions altogether than attempt to find common ground with someone as pompous as the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Perhaps drop the attitude that just because someone has children, believes in God or is into sports, they aren't intellectual. People avoid deeper conversations in early encounters to be polite. Find someone who doesn't have that filter to banter with. Or try to stop looking down your nose at them and get to know them on a deeper level.
^^^agree...and Willow wind gave the OP excellent examples. The OP hasn't responded but I would
recommend he read the link. One good quote from this link is: "He was so learned that he could
name a horse in 9 languages; so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on." (Ben Franklin).

12 Albert Einstein Quotes That Can Change Your Life ~ Sandeep Yadav Blog

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM

24,152 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia Drive Intellectual View Post
Good morning to you. I have awakened on this Saturday morning determined to find ways to meet other intellectual types in the suburbs.

We live in a bourgeoisie suburb of the sunny Southwest. Our neighbors are pleasant people; we've made a few friends with other couples in the area. But these connections are deficient in intellectual discourse. It seems as if suburban Americana lends itself to more glib relationships, leaving us feeling intellectually underwhelmed.

I would so enjoy an occasional intelligent, civil tête-a-tête, even if such a discussion must take place at a local suburban cliché such as a Starbucks patio.

My dearest wife and I so desire an evening of polite, educated company, yet we often find that discussions with others wander toward plebian topics such as ridiculous celebrity escapades and other trivial banter.

Our intellectual backgrounds often conflict with religion, and although we could attend a local service at a house of worship of some kind, we would rather not be forced to assume counterfeit pretenses for the purpose of meeting others.

Have you any suggestions about how we should proceed with meeting others like ourselves, in the rather spurious suburban culture of the Southwest?

Do you have a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship? UUs tend to be highly intellectual and well educated.
They have various views when it comes to God. Some are agnostic, atheist, and others spiritual in a rather lose way.

You would not be forced or coerced into pretending to believe something that you do not.

They spend as much or more time involved with intellectual, artistic and social issues as they do ethical and spiritual ones.

That's my best advice.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,401,209 times
The word is plebeian. Just thought the Patricians would like to know.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,651 times
Having a similar circumstance here in West Texas. Spanish is king and non-Hispanic individuals are excluded from friendships or social events.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,931,728 times
There are different levels of intellectuals. For some people, an intellectual is anyone who can read without moving his lips.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:25 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,908,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdsthriving11857 View Post
Having a similar circumstance here in West Texas. Spanish is king and non-Hispanic individuals are excluded from friendships or social events.
That isn't really the same thing. You could learn Spanish.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,475,343 times
Actually you'll find 'smart' folks almost anywhere, though sometimes they may feel they have to 'hide' it, depending on the local 'culture'. Have met some pretty smart rednecks, and also some pretty ignorant college grads, so it kinda depends on your idea of "intellectual". But regardless, smart (or otherwise), almost everyone will eventually open up a bit once they recognize that you're really curious about them… and not simply looking for an excuse to impress 'em with your own 'smarts'!

BTW, if "meeting intellectual people" is such a priority, why choose to live in what you consider the "spurious suburban culture of the Southwest" in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships