Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
OP should look up some generic speeches, I'm sure they're out there, and use them as a guide. I would definitely get it approved via HR---in writing--before delivering the speech. You never know what wires you might be tripping. Such as mention dates---Glenda joined us on Mar 1, 1970. she is now retiring at the age of 75. Such could be a basis for age discrimination.

Personally, I would decline. I would approach HR and ask they write something appropriate. Regardless, get whatever you say approved in writing!
How would it be discrimination? The employee is the one choosing to leave. OP isn't taking any action against the employee. Just mentioning age is not discrimination. There has to be some sort of action involved (denying them promotions, firing, etc.)

At this point, it's irrelevant anyway, since OP posted yesterday that the speech was today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I have an employee retiring tomorrow. She has worked with the company for 35 years, but I have only been there three years. I need to give a little speech, but I'm not sure exactly what to say because if I say what I should then everyone knows I will be lying. Basically, NO ONE in our department got along with her and everyone is relieved she is leaving. She has basically verbally given me and everyone grief since they day I started being her boss. She was extremely lazy and was not a team worker at all. Those were the main complaints that I had for three entire years. Anyone have an idea of what i can say in my speech that sounds good but not too much praise?? I don't think anyone in my group is going to miss her, lol.

Verbal grief = "she brought a sassy spirit to work every day"

Extremely lazy = "ability to know what needed to get done and what didn't"

Not a team player = "fierce independence"

Conclude with, "I've only known her for three years, but I can honestly say that the office will never be the same without her." (The "thank gawd" at the end will be implied. )

Don't they teach this stuff in managerial school?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Call in sick.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In my last full-time job, there was a woman in our group who showed up four days a year. Yet she was paid for 40 hour work weeks, got all the benefits, etc.

The hilarious part is the long list of email excuses she sent out for not coming to work that day. "Have to take my cat to the vet"..."Need to go to Home Depot to pick out new carpet"...etc. I honestly don't know why she bothered.

We all knew she was getting paid because management figured that was cheaper than settling a lawsuit.
This is an appalling story. It makes me sick when I hear about do-nothings like this who don't show up to work - and still get paid. This woman probably had something on the boss, which is why she was able to get away with this. Unfortunately, this probably happens more than we think...

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thank her for years of loyaty and contributions to the growth of the company and community while raising a family. Talk more about the future instead of looking to the past, such as you know she must be looking forward to travel and spending more time with her family and friends. How fortunate her family is to be able to spend more time with her starting tomorrow.

Sorry, that is the best I can do for you, but I wonder whether her health might have contributed to her attitude as she doesn't shound like a happy person from what you said.
This sounds nice and tactful.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Heh. That's not always the case.

In my last full-time job, there was a woman in our group who showed up four days a year. Yet she was paid for 40 hour work weeks, got all the benefits, etc.

The hilarious part is the long list of email excuses she sent out for not coming to work that day. "Have to take my cat to the vet"..."Need to go to Home Depot to pick out new carpet"...etc. I honestly don't know why she bothered.

We all knew she was getting paid because management figured that was cheaper than settling a lawsuit.

Someone who's been there 35 years knows where the bodies are buried. Just sayin'.
There are legitimate reasons for not showing up at work all the time, though. One of the very legitimate reasons are employees who telecommute. (Remember all the employees who were so peeved when Yahoo CEO Marisa Mayer took away that privilege?) Other legitimate reasons include employees who are on the road traveling much of the time. My ex did both. He was an offshore worker, thus he wasn't in the office. His "office" consisted of oil platforms on the Gulf of Mexico. Some of his coworkers at the the land office of his job didn't even know he existed.

At his next job, he worked for a land based corrosion company. He was on salary, and they only required him to work a few days a month. The rest of the time he was on call at home and worked on his computer a little. If he got a call, he went out on traveling jobs around Texas for a few days at a time. He never went to the office then either.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are legitimate reasons for not showing up at work all the time, though. One of the very legitimate reasons are employees who telecommute. (Remember all the employees who were so peeved when Yahoo CEO Marisa Mayer took away that privilege?) Other legitimate reasons include employees who are on the road traveling much of the time. My ex did both. He was an offshore worker, thus he wasn't in the office. His "office" consisted of oil platforms on the Gulf of Mexico. Some of his coworkers at the the land office of his job didn't even know he existed.

At his next job, he worked for a land based corrosion company. He was on salary, and they only required him to work a few days a month. The rest of the time he was on call at home and worked on his computer a little. If he got a call, he went out on traveling jobs around Texas for a few days at a time. He never went to the office then either.
Telecommuting is one thing. However, the post in question stated that this woman only showed up for work 4 days a year, got paid for 40 hours a week, and always had an excuse as to why she couldn't come into the office. It didn't say anything about the woman working from home.

Working from home is a lot different than not working at all.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 PM

236 posts, read 556,285 times
Thanks for all the useful advice, and some not so useful. I didn't think this thread would take on four pages, lol. The speech is over and I basically just thanked her for her commitment to the company and her technical expertise, because she did have good technical knowledge. Besides that, her performance was below average. She does not know how to work with people well.

The reason she was able to last so long, is because I/we work for the state government. You can do almost anything and NEVER get fired. It takes a lot of effort to have someone disciplined for their actions, and most people are not held accountable. Her performance appraisals did receive low marks from me, in teamwork and communication, but so what? The company is not going to get rid of her.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I have an employee retiring tomorrow. She has worked with the company for 35 years, but I have only been there three years. I need to give a little speech, but I'm not sure exactly what to say because if I say what I should then everyone knows I will be lying. Basically, NO ONE in our department got along with her and everyone is relieved she is leaving. She has basically verbally given me and everyone grief since they day I started being her boss. She was extremely lazy and was not a team worker at all. Those were the main complaints that I had for three entire years. Anyone have an idea of what i can say in my speech that sounds good but not too much praise?? I don't think anyone in my group is going to miss her, lol.
How has the department treated her over the years? Maybe there's a reason why she has acted this way.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
OP should look up some generic speeches, I'm sure they're out there, and use them as a guide. I would definitely get it approved via HR---in writing--before delivering the speech. You never know what wires you might be tripping. Such as mention dates---Glenda joined us on Mar 1, 1970. she is now retiring at the age of 75. Such could be a basis for age discrimination.

Personally, I would decline. I would approach HR and ask they write something appropriate. Regardless, get whatever you say approved in writing!
It is not HR's job to write speeches for managers, especially a retirement speech. If the manager can't do that, they should really question whether they are in the right position. That's not to say that HR could not review the speech for appropriateness, but unless this is a brand new supervisor, even that is questionable. Managers are paid to exercise good judgement. This is part of what they signed up for when they assumed the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships