Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM

195 posts, read 231,393 times

Advertisements

I don't have a regular hair stylist so for the last few years I have just been going to chain haircutting salons. It seems funny to be sitting next to a standing person for 30 minutes not saying a word to them, so I have made an friendly effort to make conversation to my assigned stylist. USUALLY I get no where and get one word answers. They don't want to talk to me unless it is directions about my hair. (People think of me of being a gifted conversationist and I am very mainstream in person.

I look around the salon and other than the sound of the clippers and the music, it is silent. Is it so strange that people don't talk to people they are sitting next to working on their hair? If you were a hair stylist in a chain salon would you think that it is strange to have general chit chat with your customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,221 times
From a customer's point of view, personally, I would attempt to chat with them - if they are rude or just keep shutting you down - I would probably go somewhere else. You're just a head of hair to them. When I go to get my hair cut - it's a treat for me - I'm gonna enjoy myself for a few minutes, I tip well, and if I get a cold shoulder - I go somewhere else until I find a warm one.

Maybe the salon has a "policy" in place - why not just ask her if she's not allowed to talk to you. You can tell from her expression if she's not or maybe she just doesn't care for you personally, for whatever reason.

I have a gal now that I simply adore here - she is friendly, and a definite people person. It's not fake, not an "effort" on her part - she loves what she does and she enjoys being around people. Your stylist isn't the only one in town.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I don't have a regular hair stylist so for the last few years I have just been going to chain haircutting salons.
You are a complete stranger to them. No need to get to know you, since you are not a repeat customer.

You want familiarity? Get a regular stylist/barber.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You are a complete stranger to them. No need to get to know you, since you are not a repeat customer.

You want familiarity? Get a regular stylist/barber.
Yeah, I would try to see the same person. Those places have a lot of turn over, in customers and employees. They also do a lot of kid and men's cuts which are typically fast, so there probably isn't a lot of time to build rapport with people. Even though it's a chain, you can still book with or request a certain stylist. I bet if you see the same person 2 or 3 times in a row, you will start to see a difference in chit-chat department.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,071 times
I go to chain salons most of the time. Most of the stylists try to talk to me; sometimes I respond, and sometimes I don't. I usually go there during a busy day of running errands; that 20 minutes (or so) is a time when I like to regroup and plan the next task/errand/grocery stop.

I go to get my hair cut. Period. Not for a time of inane small talk. Maybe I am the odd one with this - don't know.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I don't have a regular hair stylist so for the last few years I have just been going to chain haircutting salons. It seems funny to be sitting next to a standing person for 30 minutes not saying a word to them, so I have made an friendly effort to make conversation to my assigned stylist. USUALLY I get no where and get one word answers. They don't want to talk to me unless it is directions about my hair. (People think of me of being a gifted conversationist and I am very mainstream in person.

I look around the salon and other than the sound of the clippers and the music, it is silent. Is it so strange that people don't talk to people they are sitting next to working on their hair? If you were a hair stylist in a chain salon would you think that it is strange to have general chit chat with your customers?

Friendly small talk is pretty standard at any place I have gone.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:27 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
I've been going to the same hairstylist for...ummm...over 30 years now We have always chatted with one another. While we don't socialize outside of the salon, we do know quite a bit about each other's lives. Some of the other stylists who have been cutting hair as long as she has have gotten to recognize me and will greet me when I'm in for a haircut.

I don't think that hairstylists need to be chatterboxes but they do need to be at least cordial to their customers and make a little small talk. That way, if the customer likes how her hair comes out, she will want to return---especially if the hairstylist is friendly and welcoming.

Yet, on the flip side, if you have hair that is difficult to handle and you find someone who does a great job doing so, I could understand wanting to return even if the hairstylist isn't friendly. Yet, that may be awkward and uncomfortable---so it's a tough call in this case.

I'm lucky to have found my hairstylist because I do have difficult hair when it comes to getting a good cut. In the past, I went through lots of hairstylists who didn't know what they were doing. Some even had a look of near terror when they first saw my hair. And here I thought that when people went to school to learn how to cut hair, they learned about cutting different types of hair---silly me for thinking this! I'm guessing that hairstylists will specialize in cutting certain types of hair?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:30 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,110 times
ehh?

this seems like a odd thread to me

when you go to get your hair done you expect that someone has to carry on a conversation with you?

generally a conversation is a natural thing that happens

you never know whats going on in someones head, in their life, how the day has been...folks may just not feel like chit chatting past getting needed info. this applies both to the worker and the patron

perhaps wear a t-shirt that says "i'm a great conversationalist" anytime you go anywhere since you desire stimulus

Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Some stylists don't want to talk and find the kinds of questions customers ask to be boring and/or intrusive.

On the other hand, chatty stylist are probably just buttering you up in the hopes of a better tip.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
I try NOT to talk to them. I want their full concentration on cutting my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships