Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have news for you (and her): This is not a 'recession' anymore. It is deepening into a depression.

Depends where you live I guess.

Where I am, recession ended quite some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
No.

If my sister or causin or nephew/niece or who ever would need a place to be and s/he would be nice with manners and respectful and alcohol and drug-free, my home would be open - always and forver if that it what it takes.

That is why relatives and families are for, to take care of each others.

I would offer therapy, future planning, crammer courses etc. to get him or her to build strong self and learn to be on his or her own. This also includes my husbands family, not just my own.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
google "guest that won't leave" for information on how to proceed, very helpful

you are doing her a favor; you will be amazed how resourceful and capable a person becomes when handed the list of homeless shelters and soup kitchens with free meals in your area

best of luck; my eldest son is going through this same thing right now, he has given the "friend" the 30 days ultimatum and will proceed with eviction if needed, he is familiar with it because he was a property manager previously. the "friend" agreed to stay no more than a month while "getting a job and getting my own place" and it is now 4 months and the person has one excuse after another why this job or that job is not good enough; bottom line they are freeloading, and need to go

Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
No.

If my sister or causin or nephew/niece or who ever would need a place to be and s/he would be nice with manners and respectful and alcohol and drug-free, my home would be open - always and forver if that it what it takes.

I would offer therapy, future planning, crammer courses etc. to get him or her to build strong self and learn to be on his or her own. This also includes my husbands family, not just my own.
And, in a fantasy world, your plan would totally work. In reality, people who are not motivated wouldn't take advantage of any of the resources offered to them.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
FWIW, according to one of the major advice columnists, your place can be considered the residence of anyone you allow to even spend one night on your sofa if they decide to be a "jerk" about it (meaning that they can force you into going through the whole eviction process if they decide they want to stay). For that reason, I have never allowed anyone to spend the night at my home unless I know they have a home or apartment of their own in their own name to go back to.

I do think, though, that it is a very sad world we live in when people are afraid to show compassion because of what else they might be letting themselves in for.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:

I would offer therapy, future planning, crammer courses etc. to get him or her to build strong self and learn to be on his or her own.

helping is great, but it only works if the person is also willing to make an effort; a person who is a freeloader has a loooooong list of excuses and always blames others

otherwise it is simply enabling and encouraging unhealthy behavior, it makes the person worse off, instead of better

Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Waiting out the recession?? In what world does one "wait out" unemployment?
Right?? That's the most hilarious excuse I've heard yet.

Heck yes, I'd kick her out.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
And, in a fantasy world, your plan would totally work. In reality, people who are not motivated wouldn't take advantage of any of the resources offered to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
helping is great, but it only works if the person is also willing to make an effort; a person who is a freeloader has a loooooong list of excuses and always blames others

otherwise it is simply enabling and encouraging unhealthy behavior, it makes the person worse off, instead of better
I come from backround which took care of the old people and rescued neighbours kids That is the reality where I grew up. I will continue sharing the good forward. We can all choose our lifestyle and values and I told mine. And as I said my rules are listed.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM

195 posts, read 231,601 times
Because she has made no real effort to find a job and freeloaded on my parents and other relatives without paying a dime or helping around the house, I suspect that she will not be the model relative in the future you want to help.

Quote:
No.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
I come from backround which took care of the old people and rescued neighbours kids That is the reality where I grew up. I will continue sharing the good forward. We can all choose our lifestyle and values and I told mine. And as I said my rules are listed.
Nice ideals, but not workable in many situations. I would be happy to give someone a temporary home as they found a job and got back on their feet. I would not allow someone to move in and stay forever just so they could avoid a job. Help can quickly change to enabling with some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships