Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I come from backround which took care of the old people and rescued neighbours kids That is the reality where I grew up. I will continue sharing the good forward. We can all choose our lifestyle and values and I told mine. And as I said my rules are listed.
Helping the elderly and children is completely different than helping adults who refuse to find a job or an apartment. Needing help to get groceries because you can no longer drive or have medical issues or can't reach items on shelves is nothing like a lazy 30 year old mooch. Living with a mooch gets old realllllly fast! They don't tend to pick up after themselves or buy their own food either. Forget contributing to the household expenses. The water and electric and gas always go up when you add another person to the mix. Do you let a mooch leach off of you forever? Because they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
having to work round the clock year in and year out is a relatively recent development in human history
Really? You think the farmers of 100+ years ago didn't work year round and year in and out? Or 18 hours a day? You didn't work, you starved to death! You had incentive to work....it kept you alive!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
You still need a 30-day notice on someone who's staying at your place without a lease?
In many states, YES! They're legal tenants thus you have to go through the eviction process. Do 4 year olds sign leases? Nope. They're still legal tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
My wife and I asked my sister to move out last night. First she said noting, but after being pushed she said no, she would not leave and walked away to her room. This morning we told her again she had a week to move out and she started to cry and rushed off to her room. This is not going to be easy.

I don't know if tenant laws apply because she has no lease and has never given us a dime for rent or food.
In many states, she doesn't need a lease or pay a penny to become a tenant.

She's not going to go easily. You need to check with your city or county about the eviction laws where you live. They're probably on a website along with the 30 day form you'll need to fill out.

Be strong. be firm. Don't back down! Or she will NEVER leave. She will try to guilt you into helping. Do NOT fall for it! She's a mooch! She's a leach! You'll end up divorced if you don't give her the boot. Once you get her out, change ALL of your locks that day!

Quote:
My parents got her to leave when we moved her stuff into an extended stay hotel and paid for it for 30 nights. Once the 30 days were up my sister had no where to live and showed up at our door steps. Now she is our problem!
You LET her become your problem! Never pay for a hotel for a month for someone! If they destroy the hotel room and it's on your credit card or in your name, YOU are held liable for the damages. And paying for the room is just some more hand holding and taking care of them. She needs to take care of herself. She's an adult. McDonald's, WalMart, Home Depot, etc at practically ALWAYS hiring! There's NO excuse not to have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well the recession is not long over, people are still getting laid off. I know two people myself who recently were laid off, the UE numbers are down now that UE benefits have been drastically cut and many are underemployed or have stopped looking.

Now she is the victim.
According to economists, the recession ended ages ago. There have always been layoffs even in a booming economy. Because your know people who were recently laid off doesn't mean the recession isn't over.

Victim? She's a pain in the arse!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
the OP needs mental health care, considering how many pseudonyms he's used on this site
May I ask how you know this information, yourself having 112 posts?
How does that work?
Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM

171 posts, read 197,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
May I ask how you know this information, yourself having 112 posts?
How does that work?
Thanks
you don't think he's "I'm Retired Now?"

it seems pretty obvious.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,609,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Does she have cognitive issues? mental health issues? It's possible that she's not capable of taking care of herself. I'm not saying you are supposed to support her, but probably before you kick her out, you should figure out if she's going to end up homeless on the streets, maybe a prostitute, or something worse.

Maybe you could set her up in a cheap motel, pay for the first month or so, and tell her she's on her own after that. If she can't do something for herself, she may end up being on some kind of public assistance for the rest of her life.
Isn't this the best plan and wouldn't this work the best? you get her out of your house, she's staying in a bona fide place so she can't say she's living with you anymore, you pay for one month rent which is probably what a lawyer or the headaches of legal eviction cost, and after that one month she's on her own and has to come up with her own Plan B.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times
Quote:
My wife and I asked my sister to move out last night. First she said noting, but after being pushed she said no, she would not leave and walked away to her room. This morning we told her again she had a week to move out and she started to cry and rushed off to her room. This is not going to be easy.

I don't know if tenant laws apply because she has no lease and has never given us a dime for rent or food.

I told you how to handle this on the first page of comments.

Yes, tenant laws most likely apply.

You think this isn't easy now -- it's just begun. If you lock her out, she'll wait until you're at work, then break a window to get back in.

I'm telling you: You have to legally evict her. Then you can call the cops when she shows up.

I am not a lawyer but I am a landlord. And I've done evictions. You haven't seen anything until you've seen a sheriff's deputy carry a screaming and kicking deadbeat out of your house.

If you won't evict her, at least take the bedroom door off the hinges, remove the mattress, box springs and bed frame and let her sleep on the floor.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,641,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
If the reason she is not working is because people keep supporting her, then a serious dose of tough love is needed. I would absolutely hate to be the person to kick someone out and put them in the situation of being homeless, but she is an adult and she needs to take responsibility for herself.

I would tell her she has "x" number of days to get a job or she's out. If she doesn't have a job by on that last day, move her out and change the locks. I would consult your other family members as well so that being homeless is her only option. Once she has a job, I would tell her she can stay with you for one or two more months to save money up for her own place, but then she has to go. If she quits or gets fired, she has to go.

If you have to take her around to places to get applications, do it. Watch her fill them out, hand them in, set up the interview if you have to. Being strict and following through is the only way she will learn and change.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS is this answer^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,279,022 times
ahhhhh I see your point ...good potential for an Interventin have her commited and see where she flies next.. Hopefully off a cliff....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Does she need mental health care?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,211,885 times
She's your sister!
I'd tell the wife if she don't like it then she should move out.
You can always get another wife but you can't get another sis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships