Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,778,311 times

Advertisements

Go. This is not about " making friends." It's about networking, getting your name and face out there in a professional manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,932,784 times
I consider corporate dinners to be part of my job. My job is to (1) do whatever my company hired me to do and (2) keep my options open through networking. In the end, I work for myself.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,812,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd go and try to work out a way to take a plate home. Those corporate dinners generally offer some pretty decent spreads
My husband always brings me home dessert. I like that .

Old 07-01-2015, 02:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,431,439 times
Dont think I have ever TRIED to make friends at such things. I interact with people - and friendships make themselves - or not.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:40 AM

563 posts, read 525,428 times
A corporate dinner offers endless opportunities for networking! Be sure to show your class. How you dress, how you present yourself, what you order and how you eat what you order. Anyone can show up to a troff, dressed however and wearing whatever; and that is what you don't want people to remember about you. There is a value in class and style. People give a certain respect for that.

Be gracious. Let other people talk more. Listen more. Keep your posture. Hit the restroom one or twice, just to confirm you do not have something stuck in between your teeth. Tip: Take a piece of floss with you. If you forget, you can use a piece of your own hair. Smile and enjoy yourself. Keep in mind though, you are at work, even though it is a dinner. Your higher ups will remember how you are in this capacity.

Do not drink too much. One cocktail, max. If you do not drink even better. Order something that looks good. A soda water, seven up, or ginger ale, all of these look great served with a twist or a cherry or a squeeze. And never, ever, take a doggie bag. This isn't a seder at your grandma's house. Don't be the last to leave, ever. Don't be the first to arrive. If it is a large corporate dinner, ghost it. That means just slip out when you lave, no announcement of good bye. If it is a small more intimate affair, thank your host for dinner, and wish everyone a good night. Smile and leave. Most of all, have a good time. Make friends, Be yourself, too. Own it!

Last edited by Hollywood55; 07-01-2015 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling/Edit

Old 07-01-2015, 06:12 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Senior management is in town this week and the whole satellite office is being invited to a corporate dinner. While I don't know exactly where we'll go yet, it's likely to be a fairly fancy affair. I'd rather get home to my girlfriend and my new Apple Watch. The people I want to socialize with at the office, I already do.

Would you try to schmooze for awhile, even though you don't want to be there?
I feel your pain. I'm an introvert -- an outgoing, social introvert, but still an introvert. When the work day is over, I have no desire to spend time with co-workers, and prefer to retreat into my bubble. However, this is one of those situations where you just have to grit your teeth and bear it for a few hours. It's in your best professional interests to slap on a happy face and "schmooze" to the extent you can without appearing as fake on the outside as you feel on the inside. The food should be good, at least. Good luck!

P.S. C-D has a Work and Employment forum which is good for questions like these.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,253,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Senior management is in town this week and the whole satellite office is being invited to a corporate dinner. While I don't know exactly where we'll go yet, it's likely to be a fairly fancy affair. I'd rather get home to my girlfriend and my new Apple Watch. The people I want to socialize with at the office, I already do.

Would you try to schmooze for awhile, even though you don't want to be there?
It's called networking....Yes...It is your job, so you should go and make an effort.

Stay sober, but visit and get to know folks that are important to your career.

You never know, sometime someone may mention that nice young fellow we met at the Corporate dinner for a special work related assignment or promotion.

Only take your girlfriend if it is appropriate to do so. And, if she is good at schmoozing too.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 AM

12,059 posts, read 8,461,166 times
Not friends, no. But new acquaintances. It never hurts to get your name, location and skills out there. Networking can open up doors you didn't see.

And even if not, often someone you've networked with can be a good person to contact to help expedite issues in your own situation.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,404,399 times
You just have to suck it up and go. No one wants to be there. It's work not socializing.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:08 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,843,784 times
I would go if my friends at work are going. Its good to socialize outside work once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships