Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
I just can't go to a club ...
I just don't think I can handle it. Too many insecurities and I can't handle the crowd. Don't know what I'm going to do.
Stay home and let those who want to have fun have their fun.
Seriously, they don't need a Debbie Downer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I learned long ago that nobody is looking at me (or you). They are all too busy worrying about what they look like and who is looking at them.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
You do not have to interfere with her doing what she thinks will make her happy.

You are mature enough to realize that you are simply a person who does not go to clubs. A lot of us don't -- for a whole gamut of valid reasons. Some of us do not go to places where alcohol is served for reasons of health, or of religion. Others may find the atmosphere of flirtation and imprudent behaviour inappropriate to participate in.

These are all solid, time-honored, and valid issues of personal integrity!

Do not betray your core values.

You can wish her a happy birthday, and simply state "Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful party, but I do not go to clubs."

Period.

If she or other friends pressure you, repeat the above line as needed. Over and over. Without elaboration.

And without apology.

The "worst" that could happen is they'll start rumors that you are a recovering alcoholic. Or a prude. OR a sensible, self-respecting mature woman.

Stand your ground. Do not waver. Let her be. Preserve and honor your own integrity. And be at peace with it in your heart.
You said just what I was thinking, but said it better than I could have.

I don't go to nightclubs, and honestly I don't see the appeal at all. If I were guilted into going to one, I would be miserable, and I'm sure my negative attitude would interfere with the birthday celebrant's good time. For her own sake and for the sake of her friend, I hope the OP wishes her friend well but stays home that night.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
I just can't go to a club and I find it strange how overweight and/or unattractive older women or any woman 40 and older would want to go clubbing in the city with a bunch or 20 somethings? I just don't think I can handle it. Too many insecurities and I can't handle the crowd. Don't know what I'm going to do. I don't get how others don't feel the same way. 40 is too old to be clubbing. It's ridiculous to want to go dancing at a meat market club at that age.
You don't have to "get" it, and you don't have to like it. You and your insecurities should stay home. Those who aren't insecure and want to go dance their a$$es off and have fun will go and enjoy themselves.

Offer to take your friend out to dinner on a different night.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
If you are not comfortable going, than don't go. If she is a good friend, she will understand that is just not "your scene". The only time I enjoyed myself at places like that is when I was drunk and my age and being old enough to be the mom to most of the people in there didn't bother me a bit when I had enough booze in me. I cringe when I think how ridiculous I must have looked dancing and boozing it up in front of those people.

Why not fix a special meal or take your friend out somewhere just the two of you to celebrate her birthday?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
News flash, it's your friend's birthday not yours. She wants to do what she wants to do! Nothing wrong with it. We are headed for a girls weekend and all of us 40 + will be clubbing with the 20 somethings. It's fun to let your hair down and dance every once in awhile. If you don't want to go, don't!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
I just can't go to a club and I find it strange how overweight and/or unattractive older women or any woman 40 and older would want to go clubbing in the city with a bunch or 20 somethings? I just don't think I can handle it. Too many insecurities and I can't handle the crowd. Don't know what I'm going to do. I don't get how others don't feel the same way. 40 is too old to be clubbing. It's ridiculous to want to go dancing at a meat market club at that age.

Um, no. My wife is 51, and I'm 38. We go clubbing sometimes for a night out on the town. I think the problem is you're acting like a stick in the mud. Why don't you be more open minded to the idea of having a good time and getting out of the house for a while?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
I know my husband won't go so they will just think I'm not going be because he isn't. I don't get how people have fun in a crowd where you can't talk or move.
You are permitted to go out without you husband?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Who is overweight and unattractive? If it is your friend this is a very shallow statement. If it is you ... It is her birthday and the days of 40 being the end of life for women are over! Say no thank you, stay home and do not rain on her parade.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 AM

231 posts, read 202,016 times
Yea, 40 is a bit too old to go clubbing lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships