Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:56 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times

Advertisements

You are the one who they will remember when they are older.... NOT the gifts or $$. Get to know them, play with them. It develops as they grow. Just be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
You really don't have to do anything if you don't want to. Being an uncle can be as involved or not involved as you want it to be.

At 17, you should be more focused on yourself. I doubt anyone expects much of a 17 year old.

Maybe you'll just see your niece/nephew at family functions.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
My only sibling, my older brother, is having his 1st child. He and his girl are both 33 years old. I'm 17 about to be a senior in high school. Anyway, I'm kinda nervous about this uncle role.

I never had any real relationship with my uncles, even though I have 9. 5 of them don't live in America, and the others don't really care enough. I'm still in high school, so I can't really afford to go all out with gifts like that. The baby is technically due on September 4th, and my brother's girl wants it to be a surprise so they don't know the gender. What should I do? What are my duties and what should I do in order to be a good uncle?
I don't do anything. And my uncles never did anything with me. And so on and so forth, so relax.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM

509 posts, read 554,901 times
You don't have to do anything at all or you can do a lot. It is your decision.

Can I give a small tip: Don't call the baby's mother/ the woman your brother is attached to "my brother's girl" unless that is how she has asked to be addressed.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
My brother became an uncle at about your age. There is a large age difference between siblings in my family. No one expected him to change diapers, etc. What he did do was play with the nephews and nieces, make them laugh and generally was just a fun guy around them. He would sometimes offer them advice as they and he aged. Today those same nieces and nephews play with his kids in the same way.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
It is nice if you can remember their birthdays.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:30 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
With the age difference, you'll still be somewhat cool to him, at a point when his dad is an old fuddy duddy. He might be able to talk to you about things he's hesitant to talk to his dad about. A lot will of course, depend on where you are in life at the time. If you have multiple sons of your own, you'll have less time for a nephew.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
If you are close to your brother, this will be an opportunity to spend some time with a baby. You would be amazed how many first time fathers have never held a baby.
Do not become the gift king.
Be the uncle that takes them for ice cream or a hot dog. As they age you can take them to do fun stuff & give them time. Time is one of the most important gifts you can ever give another person.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
786man

That you are even concerned tells me that you're going to be a wonderful uncle. Caring enough to be involved means the world to the child and the parents. Do what you can, when you can. Make sure the child knows you love him/her and will always love him/her and will always be there for him/her.

Just like the dad, being an uncle will be a role that you will grow into quite naturally.

Best wishes in your new role!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 PM

756 posts, read 834,380 times
Lightbulb Uncles Don't Do Anything:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
My only sibling, my older brother, is having his 1st child. He and his girl are both 33 years old. I'm 17 about to be a senior in high school. Anyway, I'm kinda nervous about this uncle role.

I never had any real relationship with my uncles, even though I have 9. 5 of them don't live in America, and the others don't really care enough. I'm still in high school, so I can't really afford to go all out with gifts like that. The baby is technically due on September 4th, and my brother's girl wants it to be a surprise so they don't know the gender. What should I do? What are my duties and what should I do in order to be a good uncle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships