Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:21 PM

206 posts, read 304,743 times

Advertisements

as a person with a mental challenge, living regular is hard for me. i work now, but i don't have full time job. the people in my life was not there for me in hard times and i struggled with my mental impairment. my parent is not a very positive parent, she is a depressive person, one of my siblings is living at home as i do. but the sibling is not working, he complains around the house as if he is working and demands things and has a big ego. i dont know why my parent lets him do that but she will not tell him to work or leave.

i do things on my own and i was thinking should i save up job money while at home and then try to move out. or should i get benefits every month but things will be less over whelming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,935,565 times
I would just get a job at Walmart, and then sign up for foodstamps and section 8. That will get you out on your own. From there you can either just stay at Walmart, or perhaps further your education or learn a trade if you want a more prestigious life.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,488,247 times
Not even remotely enough info here to answer this question.

How old are you?

How much do you make at this non-full time job and how much can you get in benefits?

What is your mental challenge?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 AM

206 posts, read 304,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Not even remotely enough info here to answer this question.

How old are you?

How much do you make at this non-full time job and how much can you get in benefits?

What is your mental challenge?
i make 9 an hour, and i am cognitively slow. if i am able to get benefits then i can use that to have place of my own. it would atleast be enough for that.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,732,134 times
Work part time deal with being called fat looser ugly suck it in I blame you for my life depression is an excuse for life. If you can get out get out best advice.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,924 times
I would not make any hasty decisions until you are sure you can support yourself. Try and not take your mom's "stuff" personally. If she is dealing with depression, try and have some patience and realize it is not all about you. Learn everything you can about depression so you will understand it more and be supportive of her. Also try and not let what your sibling does affect you. That is that person. Don't use your energy worrying about all that, because you will not have as much to take care of yourself. Good luck to you.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,162,704 times
Peter921 is no longer a registered user. For what reason I don't know, but he's gone.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,908,932 times
If Peter921 is still following, I would strongly recommend you get down to your local Vocational Rehabilitation Services. They are all over the country.

If you have a documented disability, are able to benefit from their services, and fit in one of the categories that they are able to work with, a VR counselor will work with you in helping you become self supporting. They will help with career counseling, job coaching, training, internships... depending on your needs and current funding availability.

The also are connected to Independent Living centers which help all sorts of people with all sorts of situations including places to live. They know what's available and will help with paperwork etc.

Many people apply for monthly disability benefits. However, they are not a easy to obtain as they have been in the past.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM

279 posts, read 362,196 times
OP - I agree with GotHereQuickAsICould above.

You say you are cognitively slow, but your postings clearly demonstrate someone who is able to observe, evaluate, and make decisions. I think with the right resources you could do very well outside of your current home. That is, if you work with professionals who can help you make the transition.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,908,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
OP - I agree with GotHereQuickAsICould above.

You say you are cognitively slow, but your postings clearly demonstrate someone who is able to observe, evaluate, and make decisions. I think with the right resources you could do very well outside of your current home. That is, if you work with professionals who can help you make the transition.

Disability benefits are best if used as a last resort as you are basically locked into poverty.

I know know all sorts of people with cognitive impairments who have found jobs, homes, friends... who got their start with VR.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships