Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,745,235 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those people who smile all the time no matter what mood they're in. I've always been like this.

However, one thing always frustrate me is when people repeatedly ask me: "Why are you smiling?"

Why is it so shocking that someone has a constant smile on their face? Do we always have to have a specific reason to smile?

I always get a bit "taken aback" when people ask me such question because to me, it's normal to appear cheerful.

What's your take on this matter?

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 08-18-2015 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:54 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,830,560 times
Living in this country and all its BS I'm super suspicious of anyone who has happy all the time. What the hell in this country is there to smile about 24/7?

Old 08-18-2015, 03:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,815,074 times
I have the opposite problem in that I apparently don't smile enough and people are always telling me to smile. Not so much anymore, but a lot during my early 20s. I used to smile, but now I ignore them. It's my face, I can do what I want with it .

I suggest just ignoring them as well or come up with a standard answer, "because I like to," or "why not?" or you can be give some crazy answer that will make them regret asking .

Old 08-18-2015, 04:19 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,272,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I'm one of those people who smile all the time no matter what mood they're in. I've always been like this.

However, one thing always frustrate me is when people repeatedly ask me: "Why are you smiling?"

Why is it so shocking that someone has a constant smile on their face? Do we always have to have a specific reason to smile?

I always get a bit "taken aback" when people ask me such question because to me, it's normal to appear cheerful.

What's your take on this matter?
Just like my late dad. After going thru the depression and being wounded twice in Europe, anything else that came along in the subsequent decades was a bowl of cherries. You smile regardless of your mood but he was always happy, never in a "down" mood. And unlike you, people loved him for it but they treat you cynically. I think people are just generally less happy and angrier today.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,238,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Living in this country and all its BS I'm super suspicious of anyone who has happy all the time. What the hell in this country is there to smile about 24/7?
To be honest, I always think people who smile constantly must not be very smart, or something. I don't know. That probably sounds worse than I mean it to. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but seriously, what are you smiling about? A face's normal resting position isn't in a smile.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,612,129 times
I don't smile ALL of the time, but if I'm walking down the hall at work and see a person coming towards me I will usually smile at them. Most people I work with are engineers, and/or from other countries so they'd prefer to look at the wall than make eye contact and smile back.

Even when I'm outside walking my dog, I'll smile at you or say 'good morning'.
Why not? What's the harm in being friendly?

Old 08-18-2015, 08:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,187,817 times
Fun fact: one of French people's biggest gripes about Americans is that they perceive us as odd and goofy for often smiling for no reason and acting overly familiar to strangers. That is one reason, according to them, that they are often accused of "hating Americans," although most French (even Parisians) will assert that they don't hate us, they just think it's stupid to go around being all smiley and chatty to total strangers.

As for me, I'm pretty serious and often preoccupied with somber thoughts. Although I don't mind being smiled at (and I will usually smile back) I would think someone was an idiot, or maybe on drugs, if they walked around smiling all the time. *shrug*

Old 08-19-2015, 02:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,745,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
To be honest, I always think people who smile constantly must not be very smart, or something. I don't know. That probably sounds worse than I mean it to. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but seriously, what are you smiling about? A face's normal resting position isn't in a smile.
That is a really ignorant assumption, truthfully.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 AM

646 posts, read 466,994 times
If somebody is always smiling I think that is weird and being dishonest. How am I supposed to tell how they are really feeling and respond appropriately if they are just always smiling? This applies only to people like co-workers, naturally, and not somebody I see walking down the street.

If I am walking around getting from A to B I do try to smile at people assuming I am not in a very bad mood or lost in thought. People have made me feel better when they smilied at me for no reason so I figure why shouldn't I do the same. It can't hurt to be friendly. The world can be unfriendly and bad enough as it is.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,081,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I have the opposite problem in that I apparently don't smile enough and people are always telling me to smile. Not so much anymore, but a lot during my early 20s. I used to smile, but now I ignore them. It's my face, I can do what I want with it .

I suggest just ignoring them as well or come up with a standard answer, "because I like to," or "why not?" or you can be give some crazy answer that will make them regret asking .
Same here! I had a manager who called me on the carpet for 'not' smiling all day long. She told me that I am unapproachable and that employees complain that I'm not friendly. What a crock because I spent the entire next year with a stupid grin on my face all the time. . . and at my next annual review she made the same ludicrous claim!

And while I had that fake smile on, a lot of coworkers would complain! They would say, "Why are you always so damn happy?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships