Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times

Advertisements

Who pays? If it's him, choose an expensive restaurant at least three times as expensive as normal. If it's you, tell him you want to stay in and order Dominos pizza. If you each pay for your own, choose an exotic cuisine that neither of you has had.

Has he been your father long? You should know what type of food he likes.

If he'll eat 'anything', or if your choices are really all the same type of restaurant (fast food, 'family style', Chinese, mass market steakhouse, bar food, Applebee's clones), take a jar, fill it with folded papers with all the places you like, and pull one out in front of him. Then GO THERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

If he'll eat 'anything', or if your choices are really all the same type of restaurant (fast food, 'family style', Chinese, mass market steakhouse, bar food, Applebee's clones), take a jar, fill it with folded papers with all the places you like, and pull one out in front of him. Then GO THERE.
ooooooo... or use a dartboard where the numbers are replaced with restaurants!

Old 08-19-2015, 04:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
ooooooo... or use a dartboard where the numbers are replaced with restaurants!
But then they would argue over who throws the dart!

Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Lol!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Give him a choice between restaurant A and restaurant B. Be ready to accept his choice!
Yes, do this. Choose two places you would like to visit, and ask him to choose between. Then accept his choice. You can do this with your friend too.

If they still don't have an opinion, then just do what you want.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times
Or, you could wait until he's hungry and demanding to go someplace to eat.
Then tell him that you're stopping at the first restaurant you see.
Then you'll see if he can make a decision.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,037 times
Simple solution. Do what you want to do. If it's not something he won't want to do he will let you know. Take him to a spoken word night or to a book club reading and I bet he will make a decision.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
OP, I have to say you're making way too big a deal out of this. You're making something that shouldn't be difficult, well. difficult. I understand the frustration, but it really ought to be about a 1 on a scale of 1-10. The fact that this bothers you so much tells me that it's hitting some sort of nerve with you. CONQUER THIS. Just pick where you're going and drive on.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 AM

28,936 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, I have to say you're making way too big a deal out of this. You're making something that shouldn't be difficult, well. difficult. I understand the frustration, but it really ought to be about a 1 on a scale of 1-10. The fact that this bothers you so much tells me that it's hitting some sort of nerve with you. CONQUER THIS. Just pick where you're going and drive on.
OP, or chose friends in your life who are more independent, and don't need you to make they're decisions for them....

I can kinda understand where he is coming from, but his first post was really out of anger, and I wanted to make certain, he didn't talk authoritative with his dad, but more so, friend to friend....
I can see your point and his, but also, I need to ask, what kind of decisions do your friends need you to make for them?

There are other ways to handle this then out of anger....

to me, it shows weakness, when you can't make a decision...and it's all the time...so, how often does this happen, and what are the decisions they are asking the op to make? OP, please give examples....sometimes people would rather others make the decisions b/c they don't want to inconvenience anyone.

What we did is this....
We take turns, if it's my turn, I chose the restaurant and drive....then we go back to my home and watch a movie...one of which I pick....
and we all take turns doing this....that ellviates one person always deciding...

Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM

17,598 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
Literally every time I ask his opinion on what I should do about something, he says, "It's up to you." Every time I ask him which restaurant he wants to go to for dinner, he says, "It's up to you." Basically, whenever I ask his opinion about something or about where I should go or what I should do, he tells me it's up to me. I know so many people would like this, but I can't stand it. He never decides anything, and I always have to, and I am horrible at making decisions. One of my friends does this too. Whenever we are hanging out, and I ask him what he wants to do, he says it's up to me. When I say it's up to him, he laughs and says, "I seriously don't care. You have to work on making decisions." Well, why should I have to decide every freaking thing? I will make decisions a little bit of the time, but I am sick of making them all the time. I prefer to just go with the flow, meanwhile, I'm always forced to make the decisions, even when I'm in a group of several people. How do I tell people, particularly my father, that I do not want to make every single decision? And is there anyone else who would find it annoying to have to make all the decisions?
You know he is going to defer to you. So, man up and make the decisions. No biggie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships