Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

Instead of being there for a friend, they will gossip behind their back instead of giving support. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM

99,576 posts, read 4,492,993 times
That's a bit of a generalization. SOME people prefer to gossip but good friends will be happy to listen and offer support
in whatever way they are able.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Instead of being there for a friend, they will gossip behind their back instead of giving support. Why is this?
Because their listeners encourage them. Gossipers will always gain a certain amount of popularity.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Because they have empty, sad lives.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
We're social beings. We like to be in bunches, and when we gather, we like to talk about our bunch, some who are there, some who aren't, and some who've left.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Recently read this....

Never Tell Your Problems to Anyone
20% Don't Care
The Other 80% are Glad You Have Them

Old 09-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
I had an "inherited" friend, someone my now deceased parents had for a friend, and though we had a good relationship for a number of years after both of my parents were gone, this person asked me "Are you still working? Someone asked me the other day, and I thought you'd tell me if you weren't".

Whether I am working or not, the point here is that this person is a gossip, and to tell them anything is to enable their gossip.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 AM

58 posts, read 43,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
That could be because they're not truly a friend.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
We're social beings. We like to be in bunches, and when we gather, we like to talk about our bunch, some who are there, some who aren't, and some who've left.
Ha, that was a rather cute way to put it!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Recently read this....

Never Tell Your Problems to Anyone
20% Don't Care
The Other 80% are Glad You Have Them
I think this board is proof that is not true. There have been quite a few folks who would not bothered to have posted responses to my posts had they not cared or were glad I had had my problems.

I am grateful to them.

As for the gossip thing....I believe people gossip about others for a number of reasons, a few are----they are not happy with their own lives and they do derive some amount of pleasure in hearing and sharing other folks' unfortunate circumstances. They could be envious of others and think their lives are better, so they feel the need to spread secrets about them to make themselves feel more powerful or important. I also know for a fact that if someone has a grievance towards another, if they know of nothing negative about that person, they will make up things just to turn others against that person (I have had that done to me many times in the past).

I have two policies with myself......and one is that I cannot be a gossiper. My grandmother was one of the biggest gossips I have ever known and I remember sitting there listening to her and thinking "that isn't very nice of grandma to be saying that stuff about....(neighbors, relatives, etc)." Don't get me wrong, I loved my grandmother (God rest her soul). She had so many good qualities. She also had a fantastic memory and could recall things even up into her 90's that happened in her teens.

Something also that sticks in my head is when my dad came back home after visiting with my grandma, his mom, years ago.....She was a talker and my mom asked my dad if he had a good visit and he said...."Yep, I gave her a good listening to." Then I remarked about Grandma having such a great memory.....Dad's response...."yes, Mom's memory is so good she even remembered things which never happened." (prob. in reference to her gossiping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships