Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times

Advertisements

This is just a small rant. I know there are more important things in the world.. homeless, diseases, etc. It's not even that important.

But I just want to make a point... it seems that whenever someone accidentally breaks one of my favourite pieces of china, a bowl, a vase, a plate, I am the one doing the consoling and telling them it's okay, it's just a thing, good job they didn't get hurt, cut, and inside I'm holding back the tears and no-one is trying to make ME feel better when I'm the one who has now lost something I treasured for years. There has never once been an offer or attempt to replace or fix it.

Just tired of it to the point that one day I'm going to let lose and call someone a clumsy idiot and they'll never speak to me again. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
This is just a small rant. I know there are more important things in the world.. homeless, diseases, etc. It's not even that important.

But I just want to make a point... it seems that whenever someone accidentally breaks one of my favourite pieces of china, a bowl, a vase, a plate, I am the one doing the consoling and telling them it's okay, it's just a thing, good job they didn't get hurt, cut, and inside I'm holding back the tears and no-one is trying to make ME feel better when I'm the one who has now lost something I treasured for years. There has never once been an offer or attempt to replace or fix it.

Just tired of it to the point that one day I'm going to let lose and call someone a clumsy idiot and they'll never speak to me again. lol.
If this happens often, the solution is on you, not the individuals. Move your breakables away from the flow of traffic or something.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Are we talking about children or grandchildren here? They are the culprits in my house but easily forgiven. If another adult is breaking your things let the tears flow in front of them so they know that despite your protestations that item really did matter to you.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
The only time I got upset was when a 6 yr old visitor broke one of the posts of my brand new 4 poster bed by jumping off and swinging on it. I didn't tell the parents, I got it fixed.

I don't worry about belongings. Maybe it's because I have three sons, but it seemed risky to become too attached to anything.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM

151 posts, read 159,424 times
I wouldn't make someone replace something they accidentally broke, but if they didn't even offer, I'd be annoyed.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
I think you might want to consider who is doing this breaking.

If it's children or teenagers then use cheap sets of plates and serving bowls, dishes when they are dining with you. Reserve the good china for adults only and for sit down formal occasions ( no china outdoors or for buffet dining, etc.)

Before company comes to visit take the vases you treasure and put them up high or away in a hutch cabinet so they are safe. Basically you'll have to look at your valuables and decide whether to keep them out or tuck them away depending on who is visiting.

If you have a room full of breakables on end tables or coffee tables, then maybe use secure baby gates to keep toddlers out or put up french doors to that room that can be locked. Then you can keep the littlest family members in a family room or den where they can't break anything that is important to you.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
We all do the nice thing consoling them...in out rooms we make a doll
of them and beat it, rip it apart, screaming.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post

Lol. And that's why I love City-Data: we discuss all the meaningless, trivial things that make up much of everyday life

Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,239 times
Years ago, a neighbor's child deliberately broke a vase that meant a lot to me and she did not offer to replace it. I can still get steamed thinking about it and I don't care if it is supposedly trivial, it was a thoughtful gift from someone who loved me and was irreplaceable for that reason alone.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Years ago, a neighbor's child deliberately broke a vase that meant a lot to me and she did not offer to replace it. I can still get steamed thinking about it and I don't care if it is supposedly trivial, it was a thoughtful gift from someone who loved me and was irreplaceable for that reason alone.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, apparently. It's bad enough that a child would deliberately break a valuable item belonging to a neighbor, but for the child's parents to not accept responsibility and reimburse you for the loss is inexcusable. I would certainly not allow those people in my house again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships