Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Older guys who are financially secure and single seem to be especially vulnerable to being taken advantage of by women who are a couple decades (or more) younger than they are. I've known a few who were robbed blind by younger women and were too ashamed to even go to the police about it. So I can see where the OP might be worried that this girl would steal from the home and that the OP, as the renter, would be blamed for it. But there's still not much she can do other than to lock her room.
Good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 AM

709 posts, read 766,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Autopay. It's not a new concept.
Then why get a paper bill? Paperless statements; it's not a new concept.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:57 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Then why get a paper bill?
To establish residency, as has been mentioned several times in this thread.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Having a key proves absolutely nothing! Let's see what I've had to keys to over the years....several stores I've worked at - didn't live in any of them, my grandparents house, my husband's grandparents' house, my husband's parents' house, my sister's apartment, my high school best friend's house.....funny thing since i didn't live in any of those!

I still get mail at my house for the previous owners. They left over 3 years ago!

I have a checking account, but I don't pay any of my bills with checks. They're all paid electronically.

I know many 30 year olds who don't have a checking account and they're employed. They survive just fine without it. MANY people pay rent in cash. I used to work in property management and we had a commercial tenant pay his rent every month in cash. His rent was over $3K. He didn't pay it in 100's or 50's. I thought he was nuts for walking around with that kind of cash. He was INCREDIBLY trusting that his rent was credited and didn't disappear. Kind of naive if you ask me.
Who would pay rent in cash? And if you do, you better get a receipt.

If someone doesn't have a checking account by age 30 than they have issues.

And if you had a tenant paying that kind of rent in cash, I would seriously wonder what their business was.

Was it Tony Soprano?

Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe in NJ. It's not that way in other states. Once you're in for 30 days and you have mail coming to the address you're considered a resident.
In Washington, laws favor the tenant. If you don't have a formal lease, tenants are considered to be month-to-month. You have to give them 20 days notice for no cause evictions, a little less for cause, depending on the cause. If you have a lease agreement, you have to give them whichever is longer: 20 days or what the agreement says. You also have to time the notice to agree with the end of the rental term, i.e. if it's month to month, the last day of the notice has to be the last day of the month. In Seattle, you can't evict a tenant without cause.

If you give them notice and they don't leave, you have to file formal eviction proceedings with the courthouse. If you mess up any little thing on the form, you have to start the process over. I know this from personal experience as a landlord. I gave 30 day notice to a tenant on January 2nd, he finally left on his on volition on Feb 25th. I had a crappy lawyer and he was never served the formal eviction notice, though it had been filed.

Portland just passed a new law that landlords now have to give 90 days notice for no cause evictions or rent increases over 5%.

Quote:
Who would pay rent in cash?
One of my tenants does. The other pays with a cashier's check.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
The typical scenario involving landlords evicting tenants is where a non-resident landlord is renting an entire unit to a tenant. When landlord and tenant are cohabitating it becomes trickier.

If I owned a house and was renting you a room and for some reason I wanted you out of my house RIGHT NOW, laws schmaws, you WILL be sleeping somewhere else that night. You can yap all you want about your "rights".

Keep in mind, a restraining order supercedes a lease.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
In Washington, laws favor the tenant. If you don't have a formal lease, tenants are considered to be month-to-month. You have to give them 20 days notice for no cause evictions, a little less for cause, depending on the cause. If you have a lease agreement, you have to give them whichever is longer: 20 days or what the agreement says. You also have to time the notice to agree with the end of the rental term, i.e. if it's month to month, the last day of the notice has to be the last day of the month. In Seattle, you can't evict a tenant without cause.

If you give them notice and they don't leave, you have to file formal eviction proceedings with the courthouse. If you mess up any little thing on the form, you have to start the process over. I know this from personal experience as a landlord. I gave 30 day notice to a tenant on January 2nd, he finally left on his on volition on Feb 25th. I had a crappy lawyer and he was never served the formal eviction notice, though it had been filed.

Portland just passed a new law that landlords now have to give 90 days notice for no cause evictions or rent increases over 5%.

One of my tenants does. The other pays with a cashier's check.
Thank you for posting this. This gives an example that you just can't toss someone out. Well you can, but you have to deal with the ramifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The typical scenario involving landlords evicting tenants is where a non-resident landlord is renting an entire unit to a tenant. When landlord and tenant are cohabitating it becomes trickier.

If I owned a house and was renting you a room and for some reason I wanted you out of my house RIGHT NOW, laws schmaws, you WILL be sleeping somewhere else that night. You can yap all you want about your "rights".

Keep in mind, a restraining order supercedes a lease.

They may be sleeping somewhere else, but you may end up paying for it. And you take a phony restraining order against someone that will come back to bite you.

Just remember for every action there is a "reaction".

It's probably best if you're not a landlord.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Who would pay rent in cash? And if you do, you better get a receipt.

If someone doesn't have a checking account by age 30 than they have issues.

And if you had a tenant paying that kind of rent in cash, I would seriously wonder what their business was.

Was it Tony Soprano?
I had LOTS of rental tenants paying in cash...as in apartments and house rentals. The tattoo shop always stuck out since I was stuck carrying around thousands of dollars of cash when I would go to the bank. I was VERY uncomfortable carrying that around.

Plenty of people out there with poor credit can't get checking accounts. Plenty of people don't trust banks. My great grandmother NEVER had a checking account. She paid all of her bills with USPS Money Orders until the day she died. She died when she was 92.

Not having a checking account isn't all that uncommon.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I had LOTS of rental tenants paying in cash...as in apartments and house rentals. The tattoo shop always stuck out since I was stuck carrying around thousands of dollars of cash when I would go to the bank. I was VERY uncomfortable carrying that around.

Plenty of people out there with poor credit can't get checking accounts. Plenty of people don't trust banks. My great grandmother NEVER had a checking account. She paid all of her bills with USPS Money Orders until the day she died. She died when she was 92.

Not having a checking account isn't all that uncommon.
Well than you should have requested they get a cashiers check or a money order.

I'm sure there are people with bad credit where the landlord won't take a check, but requests a cashiers check/money order.

And you can't hand cash over to a long distance landlord.

Well if they don't have a checking account or a savings account, how to they cash their paycheck? Go to one of those check cashing places that charge fees?

Do they have to go down to the electric company, gas company, etc. and pay in person every month? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, when you could write check, get a money order, or do it online.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Well than you should have requested they get a cashiers check or a money order.

I'm sure there are people with bad credit where the landlord won't take a check, but requests a cashiers check/money order.

And you can't hand cash over to a long distance landlord.

Well if they don't have a checking account or a savings account, how to they cash their paycheck? Go to one of those check cashing places that charge fees?

Do they have to go down to the electric company, gas company, etc. and pay in person every month? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, when you could write check, get a money order, or do it online.
You can't request a cashiers check or money order when it comes to people paying rent. You also can't refuse it. I didn't own the company. I did what I was told to do with rent payments.

Simple to cash a paycheck! Grocery stores cash them. A check drawn at a bank near you can easily be cashed. Check cashing places. Plenty of options.

You can pay your utilities at the grocery store, WalMart, and the utility company's office. You can also mail your payment with a money order.

Why is this so complicated for you to understand? Not everyone is like you. While it may be a lot of trouble to you, others prefer it this way. Not really your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships