Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 AM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, we all knew what the OP meant, but the people who felt the need to only correct the OP and add nothing to the topic are just so...never mind.

Anyways, OP, been there. I'm too old for that nonsense (26). I put up with it when I was younger, but not anymore. Anyone who would say such things like that (you're a sellout, Uncle Tom, Oreo, ghetto) isn't worthy of your time and friendship/relationship.

It's also interesting how other minorities don't have to deal with this dynamic.
I dunno about that. I have a strong feeling that young people from lots of ethnic groups would get criticized for talking too standard when they go home to family. I've seen code-switching before my eyes in Hawaii among a variety of Asian ethnic groups.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:25 AM

19,975 posts, read 9,525,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Many European people spell it this way. It's not "wrong", depending on where you're from.
Yes, this applies to many words: theater vs. theatre, for example. Also, the spelling of some words change over time: catalogue became catalog, for example.

Personally, my problem is when two words are used as one. (For example, is it "on site", "onsite" or "on-site"?) Very often I must look it up to be sure.

I truly am amazed and give plenty of mental kudos whenever I see a well-written post from someone who learned English as an adult!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 AM

35,388 posts, read 17,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Many European people spell it this way. It's not "wrong", depending on where you're from.
That's why I put a "smiley" there. I rarely use emoticons. But whatever that word is, it isn't "English."

Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,336,609 times
I can tell you it isn't limited to this scenario. We white people are guilty sometimes of poking fun at other white people for "stuck up talk."

I'm white, live in east TX (previously in NC), have a college education, and I figure it makes sense to use proper English most times upon having learned it. Right is right. I make a point to speak that way, simply because I believe in utilizing what I've been taught in English class etc, not to act all superior, and I find that rubs people (ignorant people, frankly) the wrong way.

Heck, we're told that one is not supposed to correct someone's mistakes, even obvious ones which make me cringe, the apostrophe ones such as "Your right about that" or "The furniture needs to have it's furniture reupholstered." It's getting worse, I now see things like "I lost my key's." You don't DARE correct someone on that, even gently, for fear of being a "know it all" or "goody two shoes" or a "Grammar Nazi."

That's one thing, but in fact, I have had occasion to simply talk properly or write properly myself, and I get people based just on that look at me like I'm an arrogant stuck-up type. I've had people say "people will like you better if you talk in 'Texas-ese'." Really, why should I do that? I know (somewhat anyway) proper English and grammar etc, why in the WORLD should I have to dumb myself down? That's ridiculous. I ain't got no time for that. (That is, I don't have time for that.)

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,481,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post

I have a friend who always gives me a hard time about a lot of stupid stuff

Why would you want to hang out with people who call you names & make fun of you? They aren't your friends.

I am white & I have a lot of black friends. They stay my friends because I don't see them as a different color. The white people you are hanging out with do. Dump them.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,481,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

I'm sorry that you choose to not like the very people who are most accepting of you.

If they are making fun of him, they are not accepting at all.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:20 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,425,443 times
Thumbs up Finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm black and I was raised in the 'hood, but my parents instilled in me to speak, act, and carry myself as a civilized person! In school, my grades were above average; in my professional life I had mentors, so to speak, who taught me how to put my best foot (or shoe) forward. My closest friends used to say (in their own words) that I talk "high-class", 'cause I knew a lot of "big" words and their definitions. I've been praised by many, denounced by some. But I wouldn't trade my upbringing for anything in the world!
Just be yourself. If people don't accept that, then it's their problem!
There you go...
K

Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,790,051 times
I got over that collective cultural ignorant mindset a long time ago..

I'm educated, I'm a physician, and I believe in conveying myself in a professional and appropriate manner, whether at work or in my personal life.

If those who look like me have a problem with me speaking proper English and enunciating words correctly, then that's on them.

OP, I advise you to do the same. Most of the time, the harshest critics of blacks are blacks themselves. We need to start moving beyond this as acceptable, especially when that criticism is harmful, derogatory, and places us back into the 1920s.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:11 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,143,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's why I put a "smiley" there. I rarely use emoticons. But whatever that word is, it isn't "English."
"Colour" is very English. "Color" is American.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 AM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Yes, this applies to many words: theater vs. theatre, for example. Also, the spelling of some words change over time: catalogue became catalog, for example.

Personally, my problem is when two words are used as one. (For example, is it "on site", "onsite" or "on-site"?) Very often I must look it up to be sure.

I truly am amazed and give plenty of mental kudos whenever I see a well-written post from someone who learned English as an adult!
Remember "no noun, no hyphen". So you can have an up-to-date document, but keep your document up to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships