Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,283,344 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I had a play date with a new friend. Our kids go to school together, and that is how we met, but we are so much alike that it's crazy so though we have really not known each other very long it feels like we have. In any case during this play date we were talking about health and I mentioned I had IBS-C and that due to stress and some negative internal beliefs I've had that the Ibs has flared up. I mentioned that I was having issues using the bathroom and we had a long discussion about it and then she told me about this product she had been using that not only had her going but also caused her to lose a little weight. She is a nurse btw who is very health conscious. I asked her about the product because I wanted to try it since she said it was all natural. She then told me that it was her and her husband's business and gave me her business card which had the website and told me to text her when I was ready to purchase it.

Last week I texted her and she gave me the information and I bought it. It was pricey so I was already feeling a bit put off by it but then she texted me the next day and asked me to come to her house Saturday for a get together because they are launching the product and want to talk to me more about it. She told me to bring a friend. So I brought a friend and to my surprise the get to together was really her husband and his cousin talking to us about selling the products in a MLM type of set up. They did a presentation and everything and the entire time I was confused--I had no idea that the party was going to be this way or else I would not have attended.

The products they sale are all natural so I didn't feel like it was a scam in that regard-i researched the product I bought from her heavily before doing it so again I don't feel like the products are bad. The comp plan also actually was suprisingly good for a MLM as well. However the reasons I felt turned off? First everyone attending this party were all college educated professionals and her husband who has his own IT business is very smart. Yet they were talking about how they were doing so well selling the products that within a year they were both going to quit their jobs and just focus on the product business.

She told us God gave her a message on New years Eve that something needed to give in her life, and that there were some things going on at work that made her unhappy and that she didn't know how she was going to be able to retire based on her company plan, that she wanted to be able to leave her kids inheritance and so on. Her husband made a similar speech. As a disclaimer I don't see anything wrong with MLM as a side business but putting everything in it? Especially good jobs? It was weird. Maybe this is because I tend to have a negative opinion about MLMs to begin with because I know of no one that made a killing over the long term using an MLM as the only source of income.

Hearing them carry on about the business and their future really made me give her the side eye.

Another thing that turned me off? Some of the products are weight loss products and three of the women she invited to the meeting want to lose weight and visibly need to lose weight and I feel uncomfortable with her and her husband pushing these products and the business on these women when they are not diet/nutrition consultants. The three overweight women mentioned that they've tried nearly every diet and have not had success-and they seemed excited about the product. Not necessarily for the business prospect but because her husband was showing them pictures of women that have lost weight using the products. I know this is common for many health MLM but I felt like it was wrong to promise these women they would lose weight using these products without considering diet, exercise etc.

Finally after the presentation they did the whole sales gimmick about how we don't need to wait to hop on board that the time is now because we would be missing out on xyz if we decide to wait before agreeing to sign on to join their business. So they passed out sign up sheets to us all and told us we could either make a $300 investment or $500 investment and so on. I could elaborate but that's the gist of it. The cash investment would buy a ton of product which you could use for yourself or sale.

The other women all signed up, me and my friend said we needed to think about it. They tried to get us to do it but we did not sign up. I felt bad for inviting my friend to the get together for some of the reasons I listed-I know that she is a single mom like myself and that she especially cannot just invest that money to the business all willy-nilly like that. Thankfully she seemed fine and is even entertaining the idea of signing up to do the business. I am probably not going to do it. And when I left her house as put off as i was by it I still planned on continuing to hang out with her. However yesterday she sent me a text saying she was excited about us building a future for our children together I did not sign up so I was like.... She told me to text her if i have any questions.

I'm now thinking that if I don't signup she might be offended or it might taint the friendship. Honestly the $300 investment won't hurt me and I did consider doing it just to help her but I did not want to get roped in into this pyramid scheme. How awkward will it be on our friendship if i tell her that I just don't want to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Just tell her you don't want to do it and see how she reacts.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,027,884 times
I think there's a special spot in hell for people who use social events to gather MLM recruits, but in this case, she was up front about the launch and wanting to talk to you about it. I'm not sure why you're upset that she ended up doing exactly that.

Just say no and let your children remain friends.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,799,174 times
OP - You need to see if this is a friendship or not. I suspect her only interest in you is the pyramid scheme.

You are looking at her in one way and she is seeing you in another. You barely know her, yet she invited you to her home ( and bring a friend too) not to socialize but to try to rope you into her business plan. How weird is that ?

I would step back a little bit, tell her that you are not interested in her business. You do not owe her $300-500 just to help her out. You owe her nothing. This is not yet a friend. This is an acquaintance. You can't buy real friendships.

Just say " no" and see what happens. You'll find out soon enough if she really wants to be friends.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

6,245 posts, read 3,634,996 times
She probably only befriended you to get your $300. And she brought God into it to lay the guilt on thick. Say no.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think there's a special spot in hell for people who use social events to gather MLM recruits, but in this case, she was up front about the launch and wanting to talk to you about it. I'm not sure why you're upset that she ended up doing exactly that.

Just say no and let your children remain friends.
I didn't understand what she meant--I had no idea that by "launch" she meant inviting me to join the business. I ignorantly assumed it was just to let us sample the products and/or to wish her well in getting the business off the ground. I never once showed any interest in wanting to sell the product so I was confused. I know now that I shouldn't have made assumptions. I am turned off by the party but I'm not angry with her since I did choose to go. They really want me to sign up and I know if I explain that I'm not interested they will want to object my fake reasons(they did at the party). I used to be in sales so I know how it works. The real reason of course is that I feel like it's a pyramid scam but I dont want to verbalize it and offend them in the process.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 AM

We've known each other since September. She didn't invite me to the party until I asked to purchase the product(naively assuming that the gesture would just be received as a friend helping another friend out). She then read into it and I guess thought I would be a good candidate for selling the product.
The friendship started out because of our kids and it was back in the fall. She didn't start the business until recently or at least didn't mention it until last month despite us knowing each other these last 4/5 months. I don't believe that she wanted to be my friend solely because of the business-since the friendship started before the business even took off, however I do feel that she is taking advantage of all her friendships for this business. She invited all her friends to this "launch".

I just am the only friend that attended the party that did not sign up lol!!!

Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
She probably only befriended you to get your $300. And she brought God into it to lay the guilt on thick. Say no.
Lol. They are fundie Christians. Our kids go to a Christian private preschool so the God comment was real. I could tell she believed it as she was saying it.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,845,114 times
The minute she handed over a business card would have been a red flag for me.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM

8,191 posts, read 8,419,799 times
I think the lesson for you is to listen carefully when you invited to an event and ask questions. You learn these lessons by attending things that frustrate you. This is just a good lesson.

I think this lady does like you and is very excited about her new venture.

Don't give her the $300 beause that is just the entry fee, soon there would be demands that you become productive in this venture. Your heart is not in starting a new money venture -- legit or not -- you have other things you want to focus on. That's the truth and no shame in it. Tell her that.

To thine own self be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships