Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,447,490 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at roommates and want to make sure that people I choose are who they say they are.

Just want to know:
-Criminal record/arrests/charges/restraining and other court orders including civil
-Previous addresses
-Employment history
-Education history

Just so I'm sure. I'm finding a roommate by craigslist and just want piece of mind.
There are so many sites and services I don't know who is reliable, bogus, or a rip off.

Could anybody recommend anything for my one time purpose?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:33 PM

25,675 posts, read 17,450,931 times
Your driving record and credit history will reflect an awful lot about who you are.

If it was me, I would ask any potential roommate to furnish a copy of their credit report and a copy of their driving record.
But be prepared (and ready) to show yours in return.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,407,293 times
That's quite a background check. I don't think you're ready for a roommate, unless, its a close friend/acquaintance or family member.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,218,752 times
Driving record by far. Every person I know who drives like a maniac carries that into other parts of their life. Either Type A and highly successful (driven) or a total hot mess.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 PM

It's for my sister, I want to be sure. She is in a city 10 hours away.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,687,669 times
So, what makes you think the people on CL are reliable? CL is getting a seriously bad rep for the people who tend to patronize it. Buyers, sellers, crazies and just plain weird. I wouldn't touch a car ad, nor try to use it as a date site.
If you want to run a background check on a potential roommate, make that part of the initial lease paperwork, and include the cost of a background check in their deposit.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
So, what makes you think the people on CL are reliable? CL is getting a seriously bad rep for the people who tend to patronize it. Buyers, sellers, crazies and just plain weird. I wouldn't touch a car ad, nor try to use it as a date site.
If you want to run a background check on a potential roommate, make that part of the initial lease paperwork, and include the cost of a background check in their deposit.
OK, what company is good to use for a background check. That was my question.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,796,822 times
Landlords usually run a background check and employment check to make sure they're not housing any criminals or someone who can't pay their rent. I tried to sublet to a girl last summer and the landlord rejected her because she failed the background check. If you're that worried for your sister, have her stay at an airbnb or some other place temporarily until she finds more suitable roommates. I did the roommate through Craigslist without meeting her and it was a nightmare. Girl passed background and employment check but was crazy in all other departments.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,071,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I don't think they are less reliable as if you find them somewhere else.

Speaking of somewhere else, there are hardly any other resources out there for finding roomies.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 PM

912 posts, read 919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't think they are less reliable as if you find them somewhere else.

Speaking of somewhere else, there are hardly any other resources out there for finding roomies.
Roommates.com is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships