Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:55 PM

7,612 posts, read 4,186,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Of course you care. You care about who you're seen with and what people think of you generally. The people who truly don't care are few and far between. I wish everyone would stop saying this when 9/10 times its not true.
Stan4 and Chowhound explain it quite well below. If I am sitting at a restaurant, I don't care what the other customers think about my company. However, I do care about my dinner experience. I want it to be enjoyable and will go out only with people I get along with. Who cares if the other patrons don't like me or my company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...

I care what a very select group of people think.
As for the public at large, I don't give two whits.

However, I will still be kind, gracious, polite, and friendly. Because that is WHO I AM, not who other people (and their opinions) force me to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When people use that saying what they generally mean is is that they aren't going to based their life choices or opinions of things based on what others might think or say to them.

Of course people care about what others think about the small day to day stuff, no one wants to walk around with a big booger hanging out of their nose.

What happened to cause so many people to be so absolutely literal about stuff, isn't that one of the symptoms of being Autistic???
I agree with the two posts above.

Last edited by elyn02; 12-06-2015 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: I made a bad joke and took it out. I know you care Chowhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 06:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,447,801 times
It's easier to "not care" when you're part of a group that does everything exactly how you are anyway! My point is, not that many people are real rebels so they're never gonna catch that much flak - it's a moot point.

Last edited by reneeh63; 12-06-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM

912 posts, read 918,553 times
Quote:
Of course you care. You care about who you're seen with and what people think of you generally. The people who truly don't care are few and far between. I wish everyone would stop saying this when 9/10 times its not true.
That is a large and incorrect assumption, at best. I truly, genuinely don't care what 'people' think of me (which, now that I think of it would explain why I don't embarass). The only opinions that matter in my world are that of my children and significant other. That is literally it. Perhaps you think it's untrue because you don't feel that way. Fair enough that you don't. It is something I picked up with age.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,856,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Other than loved ones and friends, I could give a rat's ass about what people think of me. Sure it would be nice if the whole world liked me, but that's unreasonable

So, I really don't give a crap!
Same here.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,502,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Of course I did. In fact I quoted it earlier. But you don't seem to understand that we don't create individual "social rules". They are dictated by society, i.e "other people". Being polite and gracious requires effort. What drives you to put forth that effort? Answer: societal expectations.

It's also worth noting that you've gone out of your way to mention that you're 'rich, educated and powerful' and live among people who drive Maybachs, though it has precious little to do with the topic. Are you sure you're not just a bit concerned about how people perceive you?
Geezus.

I was using those examples to point out the discrepancy between expectation and reality of my presentation given the environment.

The social rules I speak of were taught to me by my parents and I have internalized some of them and found them valuable.

Actually find that most people in society have poor moral, poor character, and make very poor choices. Why should I care with these people think?

In the end, you cannot please everyone. Not everyone in the world will like you no matter what you do or how hard you try. That alone should tell you how pointless doing anything to impress other people is. Nobody loves you because you're perfect. Or because you're rich. Nobody loves you because you are talented or know how to dress well. People love you because of how you make them feel when you're around them.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:04 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,502,030 times
Someone else pointed out that this is something they got with age. I have to agree that that is true. People in their teens and twenties can be extremely obsessed with being accepted and admired. As you get older, you will realize how little importance you should place on receiving external validation.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,606,164 times
Quote:
For the most part i could care less what people think about me because of the keyword THINK. If you don't really know me or anything about me...what you THINK means absolutely nothing.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,070,699 times
There's an old saying that goes something like this...

When you are young you worry what everyone thinks of you

When you get a little older you decide you don't care WHAT people think

And as the wisdom of age sets in you realize no one was thinking about you to begin with

Old 12-06-2015, 08:26 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,016 times
Quote:

I don't. I have a low self esteem but in essence don't really care. I only care that I'm excluded or on the other hand that I'm in the spotlight.
If I really cared then the hell if I would be on the internet To be decent is important to me out of principle so I have been known to reply to rude people but I'm never going to cry about it unless of course I infer that I'm excluded. In fact often times when someone is rude to me I sit there and laugh not too long after. I remember when this girl was making fun of the way I talked at Six Flags. It took me by surprise and I guess in a way I kinda cared because I'm not used to people being directly rude to me IRL so I felt in the spotlight but I quickly laughed. My ex was also yelling right in my face one time. It took all my strength not to bust up laughing.

But I do wish I did. It's become very difficult not to care what people in general think..that I'm starting to think the people who care a lot what others think have it easier. Then when an employer rejected me, a random person can compliment me or give me advice and I can feel better. But no I'm far too complicated...

However I do know that I'm a "far and few between" kind of person so you're probly not including me. On a deeper level, I'm detached from the rest of the world.

Last edited by Nickchick; 12-06-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 PM

194 posts, read 246,957 times
For me, I only care about what significant others and their families think of me and what people related to work or can help with career advancement think. My own family and strangers who I know won't benefit me in any way, I don't care. Not 100% sure how much I care about what my friends think though. I shamelessly walk around with ~5 hickeys on my neck at times in public and around family without trying to hide them, so I think I know myself enough to know I really don't care about what family and strangers think about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships