Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If they like it, presumably they've used up last year's gift and are eager for more. It's a perfect solution. But it seems to me your real problem is a husband who won't buy his own parents a holiday gift once a year. Was it in the marriage contract that you would take care of all his personal responsibilities? I hate to think what other very personal things you must be doing for him unless he reserves special dislike for his parents.
lol I'm sure they used up the the couple wines we sent in a few days. They also entertain quite a bit, it could all be used in one dinner.

No problem me shopping for the in-laws. My husband works a lot and I am a stay at home mom. So I pick up a lot of the chores during the week while he works. He is also the slowest shopper on the planet, I'd rather do the shopping then have him spend the whole weekend at the mall and come home empty handed for his family. I also do the shopping for gifts for people who work for him, and all of the shopping for the kids. If I didn't want to do it, I'd tell him and he would do it. It's just easier for everyone.

Also, the inlaws know I'm in charge of shopping...but I've been part of the family for over 15 years, it's certainly acceptable.

He does take care of sending cards for birthdays and making holiday calls...well some times I have to remind him about the calls.

Each couple divides responsibilities how ever it works for them. This works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,026,300 times
It sounds as if they complain loudly about gifts they dislike. If there are no complaints, they are likely happy.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
It sounds as if they complain loudly about gifts they dislike. If there are no complaints, they are likely happy.
They actually compliment wine it is.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,552,864 times
No, not at all, if it is well-received.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,868,500 times
Hey, as long as the gift isn't a fruitcake, I'm fine with it.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:30 PM

2,026 posts, read 335,561 times
I think it depends on the item at hand. Gift cards, I feel, are a nice sentiment for pretty much anyone. It makes them happy because they get to go spend money on something they know they'll value!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,549,516 times
Keep it up, it's a good idea. P.S., could I be your honorary inlaw?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:01 AM

2,322 posts, read 925,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
Quote:
They actually compliment wine it is.

Don't change a thing boo... you got this

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM

32,695 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Same gift every year? Wine is OK if they like wine. It's not OK if it is a fruit cake or tickets to the Ice Capades.

Spouses who refuse to buy gifts? My father never in his entire life ever gave me a Christmas card or birthday card. For a couple of years he had a very nice roommate, and during those years, I used to get cards, signed with my father's name, but in the roommate's handwriting. I get one card every year at Christmas signed with my uncle's name but written in his wife's handwriting.

So, you aren't the only one, OP who shops for others who won't shop.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Quote:
My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
It isn't tacky if it is nice wine, and if it is warmly appreciated. They probably look forward to your gift every Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships