Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times

Advertisements

I don't think that's a tacky gift at all, and if I were your inlaws I would really appreciate it.

I have one adult child who always gives me body lotions for Christmas - nice ones that smell and feel wonderful - and I always look forward to it. I hope he never stops doing it! I haven't had to buy body lotion for years now - LOL - and when I do, I don't ever buy any as nice as the ones he gets for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:43 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
As long as it's enjoyed, why not?

I have a cousin who sends me a box of decadent pecan chewies every year for Christmas -- it's not Christmas until I get that marvelous red box. :-) Same present every year -- and always looked forward to! My grandmother used to have a friend in Florida who would send her an assortment of grapefruit and oranges each year -- she loved it.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 PM

22,616 posts, read 19,322,876 times
my experience has been that if it is something the person likes, then they LOVE getting the same present every year

i married into a family where we gave the mother-in-law one of those horrid awful fruit cakes every year (the package felt like a brick) and she was ecstatic. it was hilarious because as soon as she opened it, she ran upstairs and hid it in a secret place so that nobody would try to steal it from her. like anyone in their right mind would want to. she then came downstairs and announced no, she was not sharing so don't even ask for a piece or a bite. it was hilarious because she was serious, she was convinced everyone loved those brick fruitcakes as much as she did, and would want some of hers.

Several years later the grandmother (her own mother) moved in with them and we had to get the grandmother her own fruitcake, because it turns out she likes them too. Runs in the family. They were each convinced the other would try to eat from their fruitcake once it was open, so they had to eat when the other was not in the house, and then put the fruitcake back in its hiding place, only a different hiding place because there was much suspicion that the previous hiding place had been discovered.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-24-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 10:04 PM

22,616 posts, read 19,322,876 times
i just now went back and read the thread and found this...too funny! See post #53 above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Hey, as long as the gift isn't a fruitcake, I'm fine with it.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,407,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
Sounds great to me. I tend toward minimalism, so consumables are definitely my preference unless it's something I specifically request. My favorite gift is a style of wall calendar. I have a place for it, and I look forward to receiving it. If it wasn't under the tree every year, I'd feel disappointed.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,515,638 times
If they truly enjoy it, it's a great gift. My mom always gives me the same thing every year for birthdays and Christmas. I love it! I look forward to it. It's special to me to get the same thing from her.

We joked this year that my mom always gets my husband and kids a check and a light of some sort (e.g., flashlight, headlamp, halogen lantern, etc.). It's true, she does. It's also true that they love seeing what cool new light she's found (this year it's a cool bug that lights up and its legs can be bent to attach to thing).

Old 12-27-2015, 12:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,324,249 times
Not tacky. By varying the wines you avoid the prediction of it, and it sounds like they enjoy the surprise of what they'll be a' sippin' this season.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 AM

8,107 posts, read 12,840,475 times
I give out Amazon gift cards every year and nobody has complained yet. I hate shopping; it is a chore I don't like to do. Everyone on my list knows it.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,467,068 times
I give my nephews $20 cash for every birthday and Christmas. Is it tacky? Absolutely it is, but I have no clue what kids are into these days. With that $20 they can pick there own gift or do whatever they want with it. I'm not a fan of gift certificates because that limits them to spend at a certain place. Sending out $20 saves me the aggravation out of finding a gift since I can do my shopping at the ATM.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:36 PM

50,432 posts, read 64,199,369 times
Past a certain age, the best gifts are those we can consume. It sounds like a great gift, and they probably look forward to seeing what kind of new wine they will get this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships