Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times

Advertisements

i'm not a competetive person and dont see the point in watching other people chase a ball around especially when the players are chemically enhanced.

a few of my room mates were huge sports fans and i noticed that they didnt have much to talk about if they werent talking sports. the flip side of that is they could easily strike up conversations with strangers by just talking sports.

my buddy listens to sports talk radio all day long which i also find pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I always assumed that every male was interested in sports.
What a boring world it would be if that were true! It's like saying every woman is interested in fashion, shopping, nails, hair, etc. We aren't! And men (thank God) aren't all interested in sports; it's just a preference. Lots of women like sports, and lots of men like fashion and shopping. I don't think it's a gender-based thing at all. We're all the same; we're people, and we just like what we like. Easy as that.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Yes OP, many men like sports and many men don't like sports.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
I'm not. I'm actually just really curious.

Even these responses are making me curious. What I don't get is WHY certain men don't like sports. What about them do they not like?

For myself, I really dislike outdoors type sports. Fishing, hunting, kayak, stuff like that. Reason: I don't like getting up early, I get seasick easily, I don't like getting dirty, and I don't like waiting around.

I also dislike auto racing due to the lack of tactics and variables in a race.

On the other hand, I love sports like baseball and basketball due to complexity of strategy and tactics, as well as the competition.

So there are things you don't like about some sports and you've listed them here---is it so hard to believe that men have their reasons for not liking sports---what's not to get?

I grew up watching baseball so I enjoy watching baseball AND I played softball. I still get an itch to play even though I haven't in years. My husband doesn't like it because he finds it boring. His family watched baseball and I think he even attempted to play as a kid but he hated it. Different strokes.

Honestly, most sports are of NO interest to him because it's just not his thing. I know it's hard to believe but people are allowed to have varying interests! The only thing he'll watch now is hockey. On the other hand, there are plenty of sports I won't watch because they are painfully boring to me, like golf or football.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
I watch sports but not ones most people watch like NFL football. I don't have a favorite team or anything. It really don't matter to me I just want to see the sport in action no matter who plays it.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:19 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Growing up I played some sports, I ran track, I was fast enough to make the team; but not fast enough to win any races.

I played football for 1 year, I liked being defensive end; one of the few position on the line I could use my hands. But in football; I was not the favorite of the coach; so I only played defensive positions.
I played soccer, but was not very good at it.

My grandfather like baseball; I never played but would enjoy watching it with him.

As a adult I have played Golf; I am not good; but I have played.

I mostly enjoy pistol and rifle shooting; for practice and to see if I can get better. I have not entered into any kind of competition for shooting; I am not a bad shot; but many others are much better than me.

I was never into Nascar Auto racing, until I met my current wife; she loved it; and I started to watch the races. I enjoy it now; mostly I like to see the large chain reaction wrecks.

But for all of that, if I am in the mood I can watch some sports; and if I miss a game or a race or whatever I am not heartbroken. Watching a sporting event is something that I will do on occasion; but that is only a part of my life, not all of it.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I'm not. I'm actually just really curious.

Even these responses are making me curious. What I don't get is WHY certain men don't like sports. What about them do they not like?

For myself, I really dislike outdoors type sports. Fishing, hunting, kayak, stuff like that. Reason: I don't like getting up early, I get seasick easily, I don't like getting dirty, and I don't like waiting around.

I also dislike auto racing due to the lack of tactics and variables in a race.

On the other hand, I love sports like baseball and basketball due to complexity of strategy and tactics, as well as the competition.
Why does anyone like or not like anything? I'm really confused about this whole topic and your interest in it. People are into all kinds of different things. Some of the most interesting ones I know, don't care a bit about sports. Really, why would they? They aren't on the team, have nothing to gain by the team winning, aren't actually playing the game themselves... I think a much better question is "why do so many men care so much about sports?"

Old 12-12-2015, 04:23 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
Im 36 i could care less about sports. Have you ever heard how boring people who talk about sports all the time are? my god.All they can talk about is statistics and whatever other bs as though they are some sports commentator. yawn

I enjoy trap,skeet and target shooting. That is a real sport that requires skill.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
In my opinion, sports was created for the main purpose of distracting citizens of a society from their pilfering at the hands of their owners, aka government.

Here you are, devoting a major part of your life and attention to something that ultimately has no bearing on your quality of life. It's the perfect recipe to keep the sheep occupied today as it was back in ancient rome, all while your rights are being taken away while you were distracted with this form of "entertainment."

Then you realize this could be the purpose of all entertainment in general--to keep you distracted while the IMPORTANT **** in life is decided for you by someone else.
Well, I went through a period of about 3 years of doing little else but studying the ways of the world. Federal reserve act, fractitional reserve banking system, fiat currency, usury/compound interest, bilderberg group, all that stuff and more.

Do I believe citizens are being pilfered? Absolutely. Do I believe that some can become obsessed with sports or other entertainment to their detriment? Yes. Where I disagree with you is that sports don't improve the quality of my life. They do, especially playing them.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why does anyone like or not like anything? I'm really confused about this whole topic and your interest in it. People are into all kinds of different things. Some of the most interesting ones I know, don't care a bit about sports. Really, why would they? They aren't on the team, have nothing to gain by the team winning, aren't actually playing the game themselves... I think a much better question is "why do so many men care so much about sports?"
I love sports, mostly because I love competition. I also love the complexity of strategy and tactics associated with most sports.

For those that don't like sports, why don't you like them? It's a very simple question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships