Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 04:40 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,411 times

Advertisements

Quite a few unique -- and oftentimes outstanding -- men have zero interest in the whole culture of spectator sports

My husband lives by the motto "be your own athlete"

We both run for fitness.

Techie guys, engineering type guys, history buffs, and men who are working hard at achieving thier "own" goals often don't have the time of day for spectator sports, especially the cult like professional team fan culture.

I can understand a guy caring about a local high school team, or something "real".

But I find it pathetic when beer belly men lounge around in a recliner then go on about "How we beat those S0Bs"

No. You sat your lard-laden hindquarters in a chair.

I have zero interest in, and minimal respect for spectator sports fanatics. I like men who actually do and accomplish great things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 05:20 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I have NEVER like sports... I had cataracts growing up so I could never really see the balls used or what was going on.

I really liked cars and watching auto racing (I could SEE the cars).....

I had lens implants a bunch of years ago and could see everything.. I still did not like sports....

Some men do and others don't... Not a prerequisite in life... Besides team sports nowadays are not sports anymore..They are a business.. And sometimes a very bad one....

Old 12-11-2015, 05:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
one thing I remember about sports as a child / teenager , people that liked sports were often very aggressive, loud, obnoxious, and often bully types

especially the football fans, they thought they were mr macho, they liked to push & shove, trip, bully less aggressive non sports people

thats one reason why I cant stand sports today, those are the same people I never liked or got along with when I was a kid.

the only sports I like, would probably be the solo sports where you can do things on your own, like swimming, cycling, running, hiking, climbing, marksmanship with a rifle or pistol.

also sports like hunting, fishing in the ocean or outdoors camping, etc

Last edited by green papaya; 12-11-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Techie guys, engineering type guys, history buffs, and men who are working hard at achieving thier "own" goals often don't have the time of day for spectator sports, especially the cult like professional team fan culture.

!
Yeah. That's total bs. I run with a very high achieving subset of the population and many of them are die-hard fans of some sort.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
I'm not into sports. I used to be. I got an NCAA letter in college. I weight lifted, did martial arts, jogged, all that crud. I never understood how men could think it was manly to watch others do what they could not. I can see having an appreciation for a good game, where athletes compete in a contest of wills and everyone puts out the most they can in order to win. I enjoy watching those struggles. But memorizing every factoid about individual athletes always seemed to be always kind of odd, even kind of feminine in a way.

Getting together with friends, drinking beer, cheering for your team I get it. But Western Civilization is in deep trouble. To me professional sports are a form of bread and circus. I personally think professional sports shouldn't even be broadcast until the federal budget is balanced. Maybe then some heads would roll and things might get fixed.

Sports to the extreme is escapism. People need to man up and start paying attention to what is going on in the world and their country and take action. Sure, you can do both, watch sports and be politically aware and active, but I don't see that too often.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Quite a few unique -- and oftentimes outstanding -- men have zero interest in the whole culture of spectator sports

We both run for fitness.

I can understand a guy caring about a local high school team, or something "real".

But I find it pathetic when beer belly men lounge around in a recliner then go on about "How we beat those S0Bs"

I have zero interest in, and minimal respect for spectator sports fanatics. I like men who actually do and accomplish great things!

What nonsense. I have friends that are engineers and love sports as much as I do. One in particular comes to mind who is a fantastic racquetball player and owns his own successful business.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:28 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
What nonsense. I have friends that are engineers and love sports as much as I do. One in particular comes to mind who is a fantastic racquetball player and owns his own successful business.
This^

Old 12-11-2015, 06:32 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:

We both run for fitness.

HILARIOUS!!!! I tried to rep ya, but could not!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Why are you so self centered and narcissistic that you think that everyone has to be interested in the same things that you are?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:47 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Why are you so self centered and narcissistic that you think that everyone has to be interested in the same things that you are?
I'm not. I'm actually just really curious.

Even these responses are making me curious. What I don't get is WHY certain men don't like sports. What about them do they not like?

For myself, I really dislike outdoors type sports. Fishing, hunting, kayak, stuff like that. Reason: I don't like getting up early, I get seasick easily, I don't like getting dirty, and I don't like waiting around.

I also dislike auto racing due to the lack of tactics and variables in a race.

On the other hand, I love sports like baseball and basketball due to complexity of strategy and tactics, as well as the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships