Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 PM

9,393 posts, read 6,516,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
For those that don't like sports, why don't you like them? It's a very simple question.
It really doesn't matter. People CAN'T LIKE something they have no experience doing. They may also have experienced pain while trying an activity or they may have experienced too much failure in doing the activity. Nonetheless the default condition is to not like something with which they have no experience. For someone to like something they definitely have to have experience with it, therefore 'Why do you like sports?' is a more valid question than 'Why don't you like sports?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
What tactics? I bet I can name 1000 different tactics in baseball. Can you do the same for auto racing?
Driving competitively obviously includes tactics utilized by the individual drives to gain position during the race. It may not be '1000' but that does not matter because the activities are nothing alike.

Baseball is even less exciting to watch than golf.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 PM

79,171 posts, read 61,312,609 times
Quote:
What tactics? I bet I can name 1000 different tactics in baseball. Can you do the same for auto racing?
It's been my experience that until you really get into a sport or activity that you probably don't recognize how involved it might be.

I would suspect baseball is pretty complex as the sport has many players but I wouldn't rule out other sports as not being tactical until you get into them.

(I'm also not a fan of MOST auto racing but keep in mind that there are dozens of kinds of auto racing so that's a much bigger can of worms to dismiss in total. Rally racing for example I think is really cool....while I hate drag racing.)

Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,948,760 times
I'm a guy who isn't into sports at all. They just don't interest me.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
For older folks like me (52) walking is a nice steady cardio workout. To each his own but if you walk at a fairly quick pace you elevate your heart rate and it works for me.
Quote:
If you think walking provides you the same level of workout as playing basketball or playing racquetball or lifting weights, you are deluding yourself.
But walking carries a much lower potential for injury than the activities you cite.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:48 PM

196 posts, read 176,495 times
I'm probably more like a guy than my old man in that I'm very into cars and I'm very handy but neither of us care for sports.. He keeps tabs on enough scores so that he can give hardcore fans a poke in the ribs when their team loses, that's about it.

Generally, we are both nerdy book worm types who think sports are something you do outside in nature to be healthier and more at peace. Things like kayaking and hiking.

Competitive sports are good to watch for bloopers. I've been to some races because like I said, I am life long car junkie.

I couldn't abide sitting through weekly games and having my house and wardrobe designed by the NFL or the MLB or whatever. My brain would shrivel up before I'd lose my voice from screaming in pretend excitement.

Wrestling is still hilarious. Olympic ice skating is pretty. Skate or die.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,959,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Driving competitively obviously includes tactics utilized by the individual drives to gain position during the race. It may not be '1000' but that does not matter because the activities are nothing alike.

Baseball is even less exciting to watch than golf.
But what are those tactics? In my limited experience watching auto racing, I don't ever rememember the announcers discussing tactics. If these tactics really do exist, why can't anyone identify them?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:04 AM

18,598 posts, read 7,460,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I would guess that playing sports and liking to watch them has a strong correlation, especially because to be a good athlete you generally have to watch tape of that sport anyway.

That's silly. Millions of men were good athletes before tape was invented. Athletic ability is inborn.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:13 AM

79,171 posts, read 61,312,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
But walking carries a much lower potential for injury than the activities you cite.
Yep. I stopped playing basketball around age 40. My friend is a physical therapist and sees tons and tons of 40-something guys with blown acl's, Achilles tendons etc etc etc.

You really have to be smarter as you get older about how you get your exercise without jacking yourself up permanently.

This is something most people are largely oblivious to until they get into their 40's.

Even dumb things you don't think of like playing basketball or running on concrete instead of a wood or asphalt surface is something you notice as you get older.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 5,905,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's silly. Millions of men were good athletes before tape was invented. Athletic ability is inborn.
Yes, and SOME of us do NOT have that ability. I am another that walks or uses the elliptical machine on a regular basis. Wife and I did high impact aerobics back in the '80s and my knees have paid for it. Those were the days of "no pain, no gain". I still have the pain. Probably going to have to have knee replacements. But , I do agree, you need to keep active, especially after retirement. If nothing else, I don't want to outgrow my clothes. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships