Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 AM

24,695 posts, read 17,432,698 times

Advertisements

I know a young woman, 19 who is slowly killing herself. I only know of her through a distant marriage but my heart goes out to her. She has been in and out of trouble with the law, skipping school, hanging out with a bad crowd and abusing alcohol and drugs since she was a early teen. She has been in and out of programs and has been through counselors and psychologists.
Today she has a severe drinking problem. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital after her boyfriend beat her up a bit and the Doctor asked her if she had been drinking antifreeze. ? She has scars and cuts all over herself and is doing harm to her kidneys. Her shrink stopped her meds because she was mixing them with booze and the combination is destroying her kidneys.

Her father is a dope. Her mother has gone to the court to try and get her into a 30 day program but since she is 19 she can check herself out. The court couldn't do anything because they didn't consider her enough of a danger to herself. The counselor said "give her one more chance" .. She has been getting chance after chance since she was 14.
This girl has mastered the lie and it seems the counselors are useless. They are either over worked or they just do enough to get a paycheck.

She had a part time job at a gas station but I think she lost that. She is out of the boyfriends house because when they responded to the domestic abuse call they found a bunch of drugs and arrested thee guys that were there but not the girl who was sent to the hospital. Her sister picked her up and took her back to her place but she trashed it looking for booze so she got kicked out of there. I don't know where she is living now. Without a jerk of a boyfriend who was buying her booze I suspect she will turn to stealing or prostitution to get it.

We all fear she is going to end up dead from drinking. What can be done for this girl? I think she really has to hit rock bottom before she changes her ways if she lives through the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 AM

678 posts, read 700,413 times
Send her to church. Give her a reason to live if she's killing herself

Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,020,241 times
First, protect yourself by distancing yourself from her.
Then, admit to yourself that there is nothing you can do to "help" her, until SHE admits there is a problem. From the description, she is not at that stage yet, and may never be until it is too late (if it isn't already too late).
Sadly, there are times when it is best for all concerned to just give up and let the chips fall where they may.
This might be one of those times.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:06 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,845,874 times
Sad. I knew a young man like that in the 1970s. Handsome, talented and intelligent he was terribly emotionally damaged. You'd think that death is the worst thing that could happen but this boy was living under a bridge and one night it was so cold that he froze his legs and they had to be amputated. As if he didn't feel he had anything to live for before, being so physically damaged he returned to that wasted life even more so. I often sometimes wonder what happens to people that they don't find the strength to fight for their lives and find healing. I'm sure that he is long dead now. Frankly I don't think that you can do much if anything for these poor doomed people.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:35 AM

88,880 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do.

I went to school with a nice-enough guy who later became a homeless drug addict in NYC. Came from a nice family. Had a sister and two brothers, one of whom became a cop, who tried every which way to help him and he rebuffed their efforts. Eventually his decomposing corpse was found in a trash bag in an alley. He had been murdered. It was very sad, but when I think of him, I just remember that smiling kid on the playground at school.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,364,749 times
She is suffering from HITS Syndrome (hole in the soul syndrome)!

Until that is filled with the right thing, she will continue to self destruct and fill it with crap.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,930,313 times
She is severely mentally ill, but not the type family can step in and make decisions for her. She'd likely be diaganosed with borderline personality disorder, and more severe on the spectrum as she isn't really functioning in life at all.

People who are "this far gone" are usually resistant to treatment or any major change. Not all...but I'd wager 99.9% really can't be saved. There is no rock bottom rocky enough. No therapist with enough skills and patience to help (and they already know this, they are just trying to keep her alive). No drug on the market to fix it.

Is there a chance for her? Yes. But it would have to totally come from within. Clearly she has someone(s) willing to get her help if she would take it. But she runs off, manipulates help when offers, doesn't follow doctor directions. She doesn't want help.

So what can you do? You could waste a ton of money, stress out, try to get over involved to help and not get anywhere besides, perhaps, enabling her. What you should do? Nothing. As Redrafen said, let the chips fall where they may.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:09 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,105,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know a young woman, 19 who is slowly killing herself. I only know of her through a distant marriage but my heart goes out to her. She has been in and out of trouble with the law, skipping school, hanging out with a bad crowd and abusing alcohol and drugs since she was a early teen.

Had she just recently begun a drastic downward cycle, there might have been enough basic organic vigor and order established in her neurology to have something to 'go back to'.

But since she has been doing this since she was a young teen, there is deep rewiring of the brain into the self-destruct cycle.

Short of intense therapeutic intervention, such as a year in a carefully monitored and restricted rehab or halfway house, there is little chance that she will come to a point of having a rigorous enough external support system in place for a long enough time period, to control her behavior while the brain gets rewired into a healthier mode.

As another poster said, protect yourself from her 'wider circle' of destruction. As you know, she trashed her own sister's home.

If you feel yourself deeply concerned about the whole scenario, or compelled to somehow 'do something' -- then it is time to get a handle on your own motivations.

If you find yourself deeply pondering the scenario, or emotionally enmeshed in the idea of it -- Get yourself into Al-Anon. There you will learn what you can and can't do in regards to the situation. Mainly you'll learn that not only can you not fix her, nobody can fix her. You can keep yourself healthy and on an even keel, and be there for others who are likewise impacted by addictive behavior in a loved one.

Primarily, an outsider or person on the far periphery of this sort of scenario (like it sounds like you are) can use it best as a learning experience, and as a learning experience only.

People die of addiction. Frequently. It is part of human life. Observe, educate yourself, keep a safe distance.

The one and only practical thing you could do for anyone close to her is to get them into Al-Anon and/or professional counselling with a therapist skilled in the family dynamic of addiction.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,800,027 times
Not a thing you can do for her. Help is out there but she has to want to seek it out.

Read this thread- same as yours with tons of comments and advice that would apply to your situation

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...yesterday.html

Old 12-13-2015, 01:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,042,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Send her to church. Give her a reason to live if she's killing herself
Or let the ridiculousness of a structured religion be the last straw; to accept the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships