Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,898,648 times

Advertisements

My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:58 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
I would appreciate that greatly.
It is nice to try out new wines on someone else's dime!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Nope, not tacky at all.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:18 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,998,578 times
You say they like it and you have failed in sending them other stuff so I would keep doing that!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:31 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
I'm guilty of doing that occasionally. Particularly with my dad, I don't know what to get him so half the time I end up getting him food, things like wine baskets or chocolates, sometimes I'll have Omaha steaks delivery a big ass box of steaks to him.

IDK... I'm sort of the same way, we do a gift exchange within the family and we draw names to pick some one ad every yr I pretty much put the same stuff on my list. Mrs. Chow was going through my list last yr and was bugging me to add more stuff for this yr's list...... LOL

It's pretty much gift certs and t-shirts on my list.

What do you get the man that has it all??

Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My husband makes me get the gifts for the in laws...well he doesn't "make" me. If I don't do it, he won't. So I do it. But every year I agonize about it. They aren't easy to shop for. But about 4 or 5 years ago I finally figured out a gift they like. Wine! So every year since I have been buying them a couple nice bottles of wine online to have sent to them. It's always been warmly received...unlike most of my other attempts at gifts.

As I was browsing the selection it hit me...maybe it tacky to keep giving it to them? Same thing (not the same type) every year.

Tacky or not?
Perfect gift. Better than some kind of craft item, frame, or candle.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,898,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Perfect gift. Better than some kind of craft item, frame, or candle.
Yeah they don't need or want "stuff". They don't hold onto a lot of things and are currently downsizing. Any non-consumable stuff is just heading to the goodwill, I'd imagine.

I tried food a couple times but my MIL is always on some wacky new diet fad. The first time I sent wine, I sent a bottle of white and red. Boy did I hear about that. Apparently they hate white wine and think it's disgusting. So they served it to me. But I have since watched what they order and know their prefrences.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

They are probably excited every year knowing they will get a couple new wines.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-11-2015, 05:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,368,033 times
That is a gift that I would love to have every year. It sounds like you have found a winner so I would keep on giving it.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 PM

912 posts, read 916,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Tacky or not?
All gifts should be warmly received. With that said, if they are going to forget their manners, stick with what works. I wouldn't change it unless they complain, upon which I'd remind them that they didn't like the other gifts you got them either. lol

But seriously though, older generations can be tough to shop for because they can buy what they want and need little since they are established. If it makes them happy, keep the wine flowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships