Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 AM

134 posts, read 253,667 times

Advertisements

My brother is in school and received a scholarship for tuition. He stays on campus so he has taken on some debt. Every few weeks, he asks me for money and I get annoyed so I tell him he needs to take on a job and pay for his own expenses. He has done work-study jobs on campus for a little while and then he says they don't fit his schedule.

When I was in college, it was very important to me to be able to pay for my own expenses and I never wanted to have to ask anyone for money. I took on quite a bit of loans for my undergrad degree even though I lived at home. I worked close to 30 hours a week but only close to minimum wage. Looking back though, I wish I had sacrificed and that I hadn't worked so much while in school. I wasn't involved in campus life at all so I feel like I missed out on a lot and I had a hard time leaving the low wage retail/restaurant job cycle when I graduated.

Also, my academics suffered. I had intended to major in a science/math field but ended up getting a degree in accounting. His major is applied math so it's more intensive and requires more focus. I'd want to support him but I also have my own expenses and debt to pay. He says he's planning to do a full time co-op after this year so he'd be working full time but that's not a sure thing.

Should I expect him to take out his own loans or take a job to pay for his expenses? Or should I just help him out with whatever cash I can help with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,175,961 times
That's what parents are for.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM

30,770 posts, read 16,405,327 times
actually that's what part time jobs are for. I did lots of work study and they always worked around my class schedule.

I guess it depends on you-can you afford it? Do you think he's taking advantage? Can/will your parents help?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
I think you know the answer to this.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,204,954 times
He needs to get a job and provide for himself.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM

493 posts, read 514,947 times
Idk my cousin was pre med and he didn't work. It was expected he got A's in everything and he did. However, you are not his parent. Why can't he take out enough to pay tuition and have some to survive during the semester. That is what I did in college.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,511,487 times
Honestly, it's up to you. It's not your responsibility to provide for him. However, he certainly wouldn't be able to do as well in his chosen major if he was working. He could get some loans, but he'd likely be eligible for a pretty limited amount.

Your parents helped you at least in a way by letting you live at home. Why are they not helping him? Or has he refused an offer to live at home? As much as it might not be "fun" for him to live at home, I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for him if that was an option that he was choosing to not take advantage of while asking you for help at the same time. If he has the same option, he needs to either suck it up or accept providing for himself, which may mean having to switch majors, only go to school part time, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships