Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 PM

9,463 posts, read 11,223,129 times

Advertisements

It depends. If the rest of the family is buttheads, the black sheep is really the only smart one.

Say I am the only one of a certain political persuasion among a whole cohort of cousins in one section of the country. Does that make me the black sheep? I don't know and I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:28 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times
Oddly, I was the black sheep who got along with everyone in my family. Then things went to hell when grandma died and I moved across the country. I am currently the only family member who is 1) a liberal, 2) a professed atheist and 3) not a resident of our home state.

I like being the black sheep - pretty much whatever I do, they shrug and say "that's just Jrz being Jrz."

They know I love them and that I'd do everything I could to help them. But I don't share their politics, religion or life goals. I've always been the odd duck. These days, I think my cousins' kids see me as a family legend - the cousin who went to Colorado. When I show up on a visit, it's like Sasquatch coming to dinner.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,369,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I can live my life exactly as I choose because I'm not trying to "live up" to something. When they offer suggestions I nod and say "Ok, I'll think about that" and go back to living my life.

This. DH and two of his siblings have been the black sheep of his family due to becoming agnostic and turning their backs on the religion in which they were raised (Seventh Day Adventist). We are the ones who congregate together, because we feel more comfortable with each other, We can relax, be ourselves, not have to tread on eggshells, feel like we are being "judged", or worry about offending anyone (or get dragged to church, Bible study, prayer meetings, etc.)

Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,851,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Jumped over the fence lol

I really try not to bitter about it. Life's too short. Latest family drama is my mother becoming more emotionally dependent on us adult children for social support and only a few family members while pushing her life-long friends away. This became more apparent when my niece was born. She has turned down invitations by friends. She's perfectly healthy so not sure the reasoning behind it. I think she may have some narcissistic traits. My SIL had told me she had got upset in tears about wanting her quality time with the grandchild. My mother sees/babysits the child 1-2x a week. It's like she is living only for her husband, my dad, and family. The friends she has are low priority
My ex-husband, has Alzheimer's, he started getting signs of dementia, in his 50's. He would just forget that he was supposed to meet his kids and be late, really late on other occasions. (We had been divorced, many years, so just heard how hurt our children were that he did not show up.)

I think your Mom may have some early signs, there. Just beware, have her tested and don't be hurt when she does oddball stuff. So sad.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
1. You're not sucked in the family drama. They leave you alone. At least mine do.

2. You're your own person.
3. You are probably "the normal one".

4. You tend to have more friends.

5. These friends are more interesting.

6. One sibling does not call to give their side of the story followed by the other.

(I put a stop to that stuff years ago - hence my black sheep label.

7. No need to account to anyone.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Bulldinky. I don't have to go to their weddings and funerals anymore.
I had to laugh out loud over this! Also, I can ignore those birth and graduation announcements that are really more like "demand letters".

Old 12-29-2015, 10:26 AM

194 posts, read 246,893 times
For me the good part of being a black sheep is that I'm not actually attached to anyone so it doesn't affect me when relatives die.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,824,496 times
I was the responsible one being raised by dysfunctional alcoholics while my brother followed in my parents foot steps. He was the treasured one and I was the outsider for being different. Does that make me the black sheep? Or does that make the three of them black sheep?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,271,632 times
I was the black sheep. Not that I was a bad kid, I just did not do well in school and did not fit the mold set by my parents. My siblings all did well in school.

The advantage when I was young was the expectations were set low for me. I ended up being quite successful finding my own way to do things. And I truly believe that is the secret that worked for me.

The biggest advantage, I believe, is it taught me to be better parent. I realized kids need to make mistakes and find solutions on their own and parents should really act as cushions or guidance counselors but the solutions need to be derived from the kids. And, this is key, the earlier the kids make mistakes, the better. My parents gave up on me early. That really worked for me. Another thing being the black sheep taught me is people are different, I saw my siblings were much different than me. Their motivations were different.

So, yes, being a black sheep, for me was an advantage because I was allowed to make my own mistakes and grow. It wasn't intentional on my parents part but they gave me the best gift of all.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I was the black sheep. Not that I was a bad kid, I just did not do well in school and did not fit the mold set by my parents. My siblings all did well in school.

The advantage when I was young was the expectations were set low for me. I ended up being quite successful finding my own way to do things. And I truly believe that is the secret that worked for me.

The biggest advantage, I believe, is it taught me to be better parent. I realized kids need to make mistakes and find solutions on their own and parents should really act as cushions or guidance counselors but the solutions need to be derived from the kids. And, this is key, the earlier the kids make mistakes, the better. My parents gave up on me early. That really worked for me. Another thing being the black sheep taught me is people are different, I saw my siblings were much different than me. Their motivations were different.

So, yes, being a black sheep, for me was an advantage because I was allowed to make my own mistakes and grow. It wasn't intentional on my parents part but they gave me the best gift of all.
Hm. I had a similar experience in a weird way, though I was the only one in my family who excelled academically. My parents nurtured that strength by investing in my education, but they didn't rein me in when it became clear that I was growing into a totally different person than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships