Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:58 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
but If you watch it's usually the 1st and 3rd person that goes over there
I do watch.
And that is not what happens in my area.
#3 does not jump over #2 if there is only one line.
First in line gets the next available cashier when there is only one line.

Our Walgreens do not have any conveyors belts either! I have not seen one that does....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I personally prefer the sort of line waiting where there are multiple checkers but one line leading up to the checkout line. That way, whoever is next is simply next - there's no hoping you chose the right line to get into, hoping the line gods are in your favor, and hoping you don't get stuck behind someone who is slllllloooooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy writing a check, or has a problem, or the receipt tape gets jammed or whatever.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:07 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I didn't know there was a specific protocol at all.
That's because there isn't.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
I take all my stuff to the lady at the cosmetics counter at Walgreens. I think she's on commission or something, she always says "be sure and come to me."

Old 01-15-2016, 12:04 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I didn't know there was a specific protocol at all. Iv'e seen the 1st and 3rd thing. Or everyone else stays and waits until the person called over gets done, and if the cashier is still around, the next in line goes. But sometimes its random. I personally stay put until someone calls me over. I'm pretty zen most of the time and just stay in my lane unless someone urges me to move. I also don't really mind if people go out of order...they might just be in a hurry.

Again, I didn't know there was any specific protocol. It seems like, in general, most people are fairly polite about it and it all works out.
Same here. I won't move unless the cashier calls me over. I can only recall a few times that a new line opened up and I was specifically called over, but it was usually just, "I'm open" and first-come first-served.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Here it seems to depend on store layout. At the grocery store, if a new lane opens up, it's expected that people form a line at it too, not keep drawing one at a time from another line. At my local drugstore, the layout isn't designed for multiple lines so one line naturally forms and you get called to the next checkout, in whichever direction that is.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:03 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
At CVS near me, we usually make one line. As one person leaves one register, the next person in line goes to that one, and so forth. It's the fairest way to do it and it works well. Same as the bank, or the post office, usually one line and you go to whatever teller opens up. A supermarket is different, because the cash registers are all separate lanes with dividers.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I personally prefer the sort of line waiting where there are multiple checkers but one line leading up to the checkout line. That way, whoever is next is simply next - there's no hoping you chose the right line to get into, hoping the line gods are in your favor, and hoping you don't get stuck behind someone who is slllllloooooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy writing a check, or has a problem, or the receipt tape gets jammed or whatever.
It's been proven that this way has the fastest average transaction time. Under the typical grocery store model of all separate lines, you might get lucky and get out fast or get unlucky and be stuck, but over time, you'll spend more time in line than the communal then divide way.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Here it seems to depend on store layout. At the grocery store, if a new lane opens up, it's expected that people form a line at it too, not keep drawing one at a time from another line. At my local drugstore, the layout isn't designed for multiple lines so one line naturally forms and you get called to the next checkout, in whichever direction that is.

Yes. At the grocery, Costco or Lowe's - where there are numerous lines adjacent to each other, the cashier opening a new lane, will call the next person in an adjacent lane, after that it's fair game.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It's been proven that this way has the fastest average transaction time. Under the typical grocery store model of all separate lines, you might get lucky and get out fast or get unlucky and be stuck, but over time, you'll spend more time in line than the communal then divide way.

I believe you.

When I'm in the grocery store, if I see someone behind me with just a couple of items and I have several more, I nearly always let them in front of me.

Life can be so capriciously unpredictable in a grocery checkout line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships