Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,415,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I was at a Walgreens, had a few things at the check stand line. It's your typical Walgreen 2 parallel check stands one on each side of the exit.

There was only one check stand open. There were 5 people in front of me 2 behind.

An associate comes up and opens the check stand next to us and says "I can take the next person in line."

So the next person in line goes over to the new check stand. But the lady behind her just stands there.

So after 30 seconds the woman behind her goes over to the next check stand and the lady just standing there goes on a diatribe about how rude people are and that we all need to wait in order and that we need to wait for the checker to call us into the line.

This is not a rule anywhere that I have observed. Once the checker opens a new check stand the norm is that the 1st waiting and 3rd waiting go to the new check stand. So they become 1st and second in their respective lines. That's how it would have played out had the other lady not gone on a diatribe.

So this lady wont drop it and she shouts to the cashier/checker should you wait in line until called. So Im expecting her to say no, or it doesn't matter. But she says "yes, generally wait until I call you."

"What?" 4 of us spoke up and said "since when?" Which made everyone get defensive about proper etiquette for new check stands, and the original lady and another guy got into a heated battle of words because she said "I can't understand why everybody is in such a big hurry." he said "Well I have 7 minutes to get back to work." She said "ugh, unbelievable, such selfish people, just rude, unbelievable."

So what is the etiquette? I have always understood once a checker says "I can help the next person in line." 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd go to the new line with out any more calls forward. Everyone else just kinda puts themselves where it evens out the line.
Is this the nonsense you truly worry about in your life? Why don't you find a nice soup kitchen to help out at and then complain about 'check stand etiquette'.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:26 AM

35,198 posts, read 17,114,091 times
I've learned new lessons from the Presidential campaign. I run to the newly opened checkstand, knock anyone over who gets in the way, and call him or her a fat loser.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,152,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I was at a Walgreens, had a few things at the check stand line. It's your typical Walgreen 2 parallel check stands one on each side of the exit.

There was only one check stand open. There were 5 people in front of me 2 behind.

An associate comes up and opens the check stand next to us and says "I can take the next person in line."

So the next person in line goes over to the new check stand. But the lady behind her just stands there.

So after 30 seconds the woman behind her goes over to the next check stand and the lady just standing there goes on a diatribe about how rude people are and that we all need to wait in order and that we need to wait for the checker to call us into the line.

This is not a rule anywhere that I have observed. Once the checker opens a new check stand the norm is that the 1st waiting and 3rd waiting go to the new check stand. So they become 1st and second in their respective lines. That's how it would have played out had the other lady not gone on a diatribe.

So this lady wont drop it and she shouts to the cashier/checker should you wait in line until called. So Im expecting her to say no, or it doesn't matter. But she says "yes, generally wait until I call you."

"What?" 4 of us spoke up and said "since when?" Which made everyone get defensive about proper etiquette for new check stands, and the original lady and another guy got into a heated battle of words because she said "I can't understand why everybody is in such a big hurry." he said "Well I have 7 minutes to get back to work." She said "ugh, unbelievable, such selfish people, just rude, unbelievable."

So what is the etiquette? I have always understood once a checker says "I can help the next person in line." 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd go to the new line with out any more calls forward. Everyone else just kinda puts themselves where it evens out the line.
Its that way in Rite Aid and CVS too. You have a big line meandering around the store. CVS and Walgreens aren't too bad, they usually only have 4 registers and at least 2 cashiers. Rite Aid has 5 to 6 registers but half the time only 1 cashier, and never more than 3 at peak times like around Christmas.

I'm think National Cash Register gave Rite Aid what a deal.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,682,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I've learned new lessons from the Presidential campaign. I run to the newly opened checkstand, knock anyone over who gets in the way, and call him or her a fat loser.
I'm envisioning this...

Old 03-27-2016, 12:28 AM

35,198 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm envisioning this...
It's actually lots of fun. Beating up helpless people actually trumps the rest of the shopping experience.

Add to Anti-Banner

Old 03-27-2016, 01:58 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,758,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Everyone eventually were served and went on with their lives!
Except the OP is thought about it so much they had to make a post on CD.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,600,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That's because there isn't.
Agreed. Some people overuse the word "etiquette"...

I think most people (aside from the occasional a-hole) just use common sense combined with basic courtesy in order to determine how the line(s) are formed, who goes to the newly opened register, etc. A bit of overt or subtle "guidance" from the business also helps.

It's not hard and doesn't require much thought.

The shouting lady in the OP was being rude and annoying, making the experience worse and awkward for everyone else in the vicinity including customers and employees.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
This thread has been so interesting to me. I had no idea there was different "etiquette" in different areas. Where I am it is the person called and then up to the people in the line asked whether to move.

The first person in Old Line could be someone with 72 items, returning 3 items and using 17 coupons paying with a check, while the first person in the new line could have 3 items and be paying with a credit card. In that case, 4 people might rush over to the new line because they know the first person in the line they are in will be flashing for manager assistance in about 30 seconds and even being last in the new line will be a net gain. On the other hand, the person going to the New Line could have a lot more items than the first person in the Old Line, so it just makes sense to stick it out. Let people be adults and make their own decisions. If you make the wrong one, life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships