Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 228,817 times

Advertisements

Guys - what are your thoughts on male friendship? Do you have any guy friends that you're emotionally intimate with, whom you can share thoughts and problems with and just generally enjoy spending time with one on one? Or are your friendships more group/activity-based and more distant?

I've long thought that most American guys don't really have friends so much as buddies - they have guys they hang out and drink with, maybe play sports together or whatever, but the relationships aren't deep and tend to wither once people's circumstances change. I know very few American men who have truly close, deep friendships with other guys - which is a shame.

I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've been lucky in that I've been able to build close friendships over the years. I've known my best friend for around 25 years, and even though moved to the UK about 15 years ago and I'm in the US, we're still in regular touch and get together around once a year or so. I think the vast majority of guys (at least in the US) don't have relationships like that.

Anyway, what do people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 AM

16,581 posts, read 10,733,054 times
I would agree that you're probably right. I consider myself fortunate that I have a few close male friends with whom I can not only enjoy their company, but share intimate details of my life. I think that men miss out when they limit their male friendships to nothing deeper than drinking buddies.

For whatever reason, American culture tends to discourage men from developing close relationships (of a non-sexual nature) with other men. I do believe that this is slowly changing, though.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,422,124 times
I was very sick a few years ago..........on life support.

Just this year I am hearing how much my husband's three friends stepped up..........was there for him at the hospital and at our home.

They took care of our dogs.........and listed to my husband any time of day or, night.

God bless them.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I was very sick a few years ago..........on life support.

Just this year I am hearing how much my husband's three friends stepped up..........was there for him at the hospital and at our home.

They took care of our dogs.........and listed to my husband any time of day or, night.

God bless them.
Most friends would do that.

The ones that want to share intimate details of their life is what turns most men off.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,428,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most friends would do that.

The ones that want to share intimate details of their life is what turns most men off.

No, it is not correct that most friends would do that. Not at all.

If yours would, then you should know that you are most fortunate.

But honestly, you never know until you are in that situation. And what often happens is that some people disappoint you, and some others surprise you... in a good way.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

If yours would, then you should know that you are most fortunate.

But honestly, you never know until you are in that situation. And what often happens is that some people disappoint you, and some others surprise you... in a good way.
Then I wouldn't refer to them as friends. I have done it and people have done it for me.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,488,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Guys - what are your thoughts on male friendship? Do you have any guy friends that you're emotionally intimate with, whom you can share thoughts and problems with and just generally enjoy spending time with one on one? Or are your friendships more group/activity-based and more distant?

I've long thought that most American guys don't really have friends so much as buddies - they have guys they hang out and drink with, maybe play sports together or whatever, but the relationships aren't deep and tend to wither once people's circumstances change. I know very few American men who have truly close, deep friendships with other guys - which is a shame.

I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've been lucky in that I've been able to build close friendships over the years. I've known my best friend for around 25 years, and even though moved to the UK about 15 years ago and I'm in the US, we're still in regular touch and get together around once a year or so. I think the vast majority of guys (at least in the US) don't have relationships like that.

I think the term "bromance" counters everything you said.

It could also be a generational thing. I think younger men have closer friendships than Gen-Xers and older. That's a good thing.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,430,957 times
My father has deep and meaningful friendships with quite a few men. He's an 84-year-old conservative, grew up hunting/fishing/trapping, not terribly emotional, etc. And he's a narcissist. But he still manages emotional intimacy with quite a few people. At his best friend's 50th Anniversary party, he wept openly while speaking to the gathered crowd about how his best friend had saved his life when they were kids.

And I have a ton of male friends, gay, straight, ex-military, civilians, a wide range of ages. They are perfectly capable of having emotionally intimate friendships with other men. But they probably wouldn't be my friends if they were so emotionally closed off that they couldn't manage functional friendships.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,181,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post

I have a few close friends that I discuss personal issues with, but most of the men in my life are friends that I enjoy spending time with and do not seek any sort of deep emotional connection with. My oldest friend has been in my life since college, and I talk to him whenever I have a deep issue to discuss. I am also married, and my closest friend is my wife. I tend to talk to her about everything.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM

22,688 posts, read 47,899,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
If they would not, then they are not your friends (but instead merely people you know).

Friends are there for friends... it is what they do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships