Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Would You Risk Your Life To Save, A Human Being Or An Animal, And Why?
Human Being 34 44.74%
Animal 33 43.42%
Neither 9 11.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I have just one simple question:

All things being equal, are you more likely to risk your life to save a human being or an animal, and why?
You didn't have a choice for my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Depends.

If pushed, I would say:

I'd save my humans first, then my dogs, then other humans, and then other animals.
Same here.

My dog is my family. I'd take care of my family. When I had farm animals (horse and pigs), they would have been taken care of next. Even if it just meant letting them loose, if there was a fire or flood coming. Those are the lives I am responsible for. Then, I'd go help the neighbors, etc.

And I think it's actually unenlightened of people to not understand that relationship of human & animal, or the value of an animal's life.

There was a time when black human lives were less valued than white ones, too.

I don't think it's backward thinking, but rather forward thinking.

That said, I would not attempt to save any mice or rats on my property.

But, I did not answer the poll. There are just too many variables and different scenarios. I would not automatically choose one over the other.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 03-09-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Same here.

My dog is my family. I'd take care of my family. When I had farm animals (horse and pigs), they would have been taken care of next. Even if it just meant letting them loose, if there was a fire or flood coming. Then, I'd go help the neighbors, etc.

And I think it's actually unenlightened of people to not understand that relationship of human & animal, or the value of an animal's life.

There was a time when black human lives were less valued than white ones, too.

I don't think it's backward thinking, but rather forward thinking.

That said, I would not attempt to save any mice or rats on my property.

But, I did not answer the poll. There are just too many variables and different scenarios. I would not automatically choose one over the other.
That dawg of mine don't bark when you're around. Yup, yup, I have them pigs and they were pretty good, but I done never had any people, so them pigs need a saving, and my dawg, heck, now that is what I'm talkin about!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
That dawg of mine don't bark when you're around. Yup, yup, I have them pigs and they were pretty good, but I done never had any people, so them pigs need a saving, and my dawg, heck, now that is what I'm talkin about!
?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Depends

Okay, you're going with Betty White.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:50 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Humans are animals

Old 03-10-2016, 09:05 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
BS, pure brainwashed BS. I'm glad your kitty doesn't know this. A convicted murderer. Really ?

The world needs more beauty and goodness in it and you're willing to completely throw it away in favor of keeping the world littered with garbage. Okay.
Of course she doesn't "know." She's an effing cat! I could show her this post. I could hire a sky writer. I could say it to her face. I could make a recording and play it 24/7 for the next 5 years. She still isn't going to know or understand because she is an animal.

She knows where her food is kept. She knows what the litter pan is for. She knows that being put in her carrier means that something at least mildly unpleasant is coming. She knows how to catch and eat smaller animals. She knows that petting feels good, and when she does something extra cute she will get extra attention. She doesn't know anything about hypothetical questions or the relative values of human and animal lives.

And for the record, I am in no way cold or neglectful toward her. I will do whatever I can to make her happy and healthy and cared for--within reason. In fact, I have spend upwards of $10,000 over the last 3 years on healthcare for her to address and manage a couple of chronic conditions she has. I love her.

But there is absolutely no comparison between her and a human being. Her consciousness, and therefore her inherent value, are just so much lower.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I see lots of people say that they would save their dogs over another human.

I guess i could see that,esp if it was a situation of saving my ex husband or my cat,lets say in a home fire or something and he was over.

I would think of all the times he hurt me and say see ya!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I see lots of people say that they would save their dogs over another human.

I guess i could see that,esp if it was a situation of saving my ex husband or my cat,lets say in a home fire or something and he was over.

I would think of all the times he hurt me and say see ya!
Agree.

I would walk right over a Jeffrey Dahmer in order to save even a guinea pig. In fact, by allowing a Dahmer to die, I just saved other humans.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Do you actually know what sociopathy actually is? Sociopaths don't care for humans or animals alike. And it's hilarious how you are using such loaded terms to invoke shame. Nice try though.

I will say this, if you ask a question and post a thread on a public forum, it is silly to get your jimmies ruffled when some of the responses and answers are not to your liking or how you expected.

Apparently, I must have inadvertently struck a nerve.

All I did was post a question that you and everyone else was free to either answer or ignore.

What I did not expect was the level of anti-human hatred and vitriol that this question seems to have elicited from you and some of the other posters.

Maybe some of you are having a bad day or you just need Jesus or something else. Either way, I cannot help you.

You can answer the question and contribute to the discussion or take your hatred/vitriol and keep on stepping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships