Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

I've gone to some and enjoyed them - as stated, they are things held in public and geared toward ones' interests, etc.

One creep sent me a private message (I was beautiful... blah, blah) - I googled his name and he'd sent messages and propositioned lots of women in diff. groups and countries!! LOL - he'd never gone to any actual meetings and either he aged badly or lied but no way was he the age he stated according to the photo.

Just use common sense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I've been to dozens of Meetups, all in public places. There is nothing to distrust about the site. Meetup it self isn't sketchy or dangerous. Some meetups suck, some are great, but never once have I been in any danger. Not every meetup is for everybody.

Tell your friend you always use good common sense to stay safe. Is he worried about stalkers or something? As if more stalkers hang out at meetups than any other place?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
In an effort to get out more and meet new people, I recently signed up on my local Meetup.com.

I've only gone to less than a handful events and they have been okay. I'm not interested in dating anyone and really am looking for new experiences and possible friendships, since I'm relatively new to the city in which I currently live.

I mentioned to a close friend that I was going to another Meetup.com sponsored event. He advised me not to go, citing his mistrust of that site (and in general, some of the people who may frequent those sponsored events),and the potential for something bad to happen.

Maybe he's being too overprotective. But his statement got me thinking...

Have you ever gone to any of your local meetup.com events? What has been your experience? Have either you or someone you know had a bad experience in terms of interactions with others? Have you ever had any safety issues?
What bad thing could possibly happen? They're group events. It's not like you're meeting someone selling a car or whatever on Craigslist. Meetups can be a good way to meet people when you're new in town. You may find people you hit it off with, or not, but you won't know until you try.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
I've been involved in several meetup groups, and in fact, belong to one now that meets every other week, and I've never had a problem. Like everyone else said, just make sure you meet in a public place.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Most men go to most Meetups to find dates. Most women who attend meetup are subpar. The few decent women who go to meetup events are swarmed by men they are not attracted to, they get discouraged, and do not attend again.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I go to 3 groups on a regular basis. One knitting group and 2 senior groups for dining out. No creeps. I enjoy the groups and meet many of the same people each time. Perfectly respectible.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Almost all of my friends belong to a couple meetup groups. Two are in hiking groups and I recently joined a ladies lunch group where they meet all around the city to try different restaurants.

It's pretty cool actually.

It seems like there is a meetup group for anything you can think of. Scrapbooking; board games, photography, happy hour; concerts. . . I never knew!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Have been to several in daylight in public places - months became years before we knew it - I knew a few ppl from other get togethers and it was very nice, couldn't have gone better, in fact. Unfortunately we moved and apparently others did too, it got a bit smaller - trying to find another here but not much luck yet but hopefully eventually (in the meantime, have met other ppl here so it's all good but keeping options open ;-) )

Old 03-11-2016, 08:20 PM

366 posts, read 432,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
In an effort to get out more and meet new people, I recently signed up on my local Meetup.com.

I've only gone to less than a handful events and they have been okay. I'm not interested in dating anyone and really am looking for new experiences and possible friendships, since I'm relatively new to the city in which I currently live.

I mentioned to a close friend that I was going to another Meetup.com sponsored event. He advised me not to go, citing his mistrust of that site (and in general, some of the people who may frequent those sponsored events),and the potential for something bad to happen.

Maybe he's being too overprotective. But his statement got me thinking...

Have you ever gone to any of your local meetup.com events? What has been your experience? Have either you or someone you know had a bad experience in terms of interactions with others? Have you ever had any safety issues?
Unfortunately, some people still have an idea of using the internet as a means of reaching out or meeting people...As creepy or weird. It's a leftover attitude from the early, "dark" days of the internet in the early 90s. They also have an image of the people you're meeting as trenchcoated, drooling psychos. I have actually met far stranger people in real life, than I've met online.

Yes, it's true that some people exploit the online communities as a way to victimize people..but so do some people that frequent nightclubs and public beaches.

I myself joined meetup in Austin Texas when I first moved there in 2014. I joined the groups that I thought would interest me, but I never went to any of the events since I started attending school and started working. I have heard good and bad. But the worst thing I have ever heard of happening was only two or three people showed up to planned outings, and no one really hit it off. So boredom would probably be the most dire situation you may find yourself in.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 PM

58 posts, read 134,986 times
I've been to several dozens meetups in greater NYC area when I lived around, mostly professional ones (IT-related), but some more casual ones as well (bar gatherings etc.).
I can't recall anything even remotely uncomfortable though I have to admit that quality of meetups can vary differently. There were a few that made me leave very-very early and regret I spent even a few hours of my time on those, but in the majority of cases I am more satisfied, rather than dissatisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships