Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 AM

208 posts, read 170,495 times

Advertisements

How often do you say I love you to your loved ones (Aside from your spouse/significant other)?

This came to me as I was having a conversation with a friend who mentioned they never heard those precious 3 words from their family members, since they didn't grow up that way (expressing their feelings). I thought that's sad! Is that a common thing? I'm curious to know are most people like my family where they openly express fond feelings towards each other or more like my friend's, and just say it once in a blue moon, assuming the loved one's "know it" and don't need to hear it?

I have 2 siblings and my mom, and we rarely end a conversation without saying it. I of course say it to my husband on hanging up or leaving the house. I now realize not everyone gets to hear those precious words from those they love. Maybe some think they don't need to state the obvious?

I don't want to sound corny or cheesy but tomorrow is not promised. If there's someone you love, and care about, don't let them wonder, express it to them. It feels so good to know you're loved!

So what do you think? What's your way of expressing love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
I didn't grow up that way either.

I say it every chance I get without being superfulous

Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
We started saying it more after my parents got divorced. I am glad too, because it was the last thing I ever said or heard from my sister; she died suddenly and I really didn't get to say goodbye.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Son and I say it to each other quite often.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I never ever said it to my parents but I say if to my friends all the time. They all get extra long hugs and I tell them all the time how precious they are to me. My text messages include dear one, precious one, or love.

I believe if you love someone you should show it. I had one friend that couldn't handle it, but he was very damaged emotionally and an alcoholic. Sad.

You can't be part of my universe if I can't be affectionate and loving towards you. It's just the way I'm wired.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 AM

421 posts, read 328,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
How often do you say I love you to your loved ones (Aside from your spouse/significant other)?

This came to me as I was having a conversation with a friend who mentioned they never heard those precious 3 words from their family members, since they didn't grow up that way (expressing their feelings). I thought that's sad! Is that a common thing? I'm curious to know are most people like my family where they openly express fond feelings towards each other or more like my friend's, and just say it once in a blue moon, assuming the loved one's "know it" and don't need to hear it?

I have 2 siblings and my mom, and we rarely end a conversation without saying it. I of course say it to my husband on hanging up or leaving the house. I now realize not everyone gets to hear those precious words from those they love. Maybe some think they don't need to state the obvious?

I don't want to sound corny or cheesy but tomorrow is not promised. If there's someone you love, and care about, don't let them wonder, express it to them. It feels so good to know you're loved!

Sadly with todays kids especially there parents hardly ever say it or say it more than once a day . I always say it to my mom and she does with me to all the time but yes sadly it's common in my opinion .

Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 AM

421 posts, read 328,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I never ever said it to my parents but I say if to my friends all the time. They all get extra long hugs and I tell them all the time how precious they are to me. My text messages include dear one, precious one, or love.

I believe if you love someone you should show it. I had one friend that couldn't handle it, but he was very damaged emotionally and an alcoholic. Sad.

You can't be part of my universe if I can't be affectionate and loving towards you. It's just the way I'm wired.
I'm a lot like you are

Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
I wouldn't say it's corny or cheesy, give yourself a little break OP

As an only child, and my parents Silent Generation, they were pretty tough cookies. Tough, but fair, I firmly believe many decades later. They were older, and taught me from a young age to be independent. I was the kid least likely on our block to be mixed up with a bad crowd, I was simply taught better and was lucky enough to have a level head: level as a kid's can be, and all kids have dumb moments as we know because they simply don't don't have the wisdom yet.

I seldom heard those three words, it didn't happen in our house. I am a ISTJ/P ("just the facts, ma'am") and grew up with little need or desire for touch and affection. That's caused some serious relationship trouble in these more "sensitive times" we're in, but again: who's complaining, I always had food on the table as a kid and never slept outdoors plus my father always had a professional career. We lived the Middle Class dream. While often joyless, my home growing up was stable and that's worth plenty. My parents were decent people, more engaged than some but not so much as others.

Sometimes we play the cards we're dealt.

I don't recall ever saying those words in any relationship until late last year. I'm 48 and fly solo; always have, always will, desire and need to get married or be a relationship longer than a few months = zero. It tore her up that I didn't say them, so I started at some point. When she took off, early 2016, implication was I was rather loveless so whatever shell game I was playing must have shone through in 1,001 ways non-verbally. I found it rather amusing, and wish her well in future endeavors: there are more-emotional guys out there and IME a lot of women want that. Power to 'em.

Bottom line is thus "no."

Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
Different people show their love in different ways. (i.e., "The Five Languages of Love") I am demonstrative -- I hug, and hanging up on the phone with a family member, or having them leave my home at the end of a visit also earns a "I love you!" I express love by preparing meals at home that I know my family enjoy, and by making sure that things get handled when my husband is buried in work. I'll make sure the oil is changed in his car, and occasionally wash his car (I grew up working around my dad's dealership, so when I was a young teenager, I washed a LOT of cars . . . I'm good at it. :-) I TiVO his favorite show, and keep his favorite cookies in the pantry. And the last thing I say before I turn off the light at night is "G'night, love."

He shows his love by letting me sleep a little extra some days and walking the dog early, fixing supper when he gets home before me, giving me back rubs when it's been a long, stressful day, keeping an eye out for my favorite wine at the local wine shop, and he often comes by my office and brings me flowers, "just because." He is also good at just listening when I need to unload after a bad day. He will also text, "Love you, thinking about you" at random times -- not often, but enough to make me smile. He dug an entire rose bed for me for a wedding anniversary, and planted it with the number of roses bushes that corresponded to the anniversary (I think it was 15). He loves to plan our trips and vacations, and does a great job. He doesn't often say "I love you," but he shows it in so many other ways.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,588 times
My dad never felt comfortable saying "I love you" until one day he told me that, "If anything happens to me son, just know that I love you." And I knew there was something wrong, but we got through it and our dad is fine now, and he tells us he loves us every time we visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships