Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM

254 posts, read 598,639 times

Advertisements

Of course living with husband in MIL's home isn't easy. We decided to move in because we could no longer afford the rent. Just before we moved I got laid off. I had been out of work before, but always paid my half of the rent. I always saved money, but it did take a toll on my savings. I tried to save as much as I could when I did get a job, but I just couldn't get it back to where it was before to have that cushion so we didn't live paycheck to paycheck. My mother did give me some money, but it went right to the rent. My mother keeps telling me to save that money just in case. I don't have the heart to tell her it was spent already. My husband was working part-time because they screwed him out of his hours due to seniority (union job) and he worked another job. It was hard on us. We didn't go out to eat hardly, and other entertainment besides a cocktail at the bar was it. We got tired of the greedy bastards taking our money. When hubby's brothers ex-gf and her friend moved out of the attic his mother was asking when we were moving in. She wanted someone here to be with her and help pay the bills of course.
Between unpacking, and looking for a job I am exhausted. We have our own living space upstairs in the attic. We had it upgraded so it is nice and comfortable. That took a chunk of money but it is worth it. there was some ado about the money since hubby had to use personal money he had in his 401k since he didn't realize he was still on his daughter's home loan and the third-party lender wasn't paying it for a time and closed shop. But it's worked out now. They never insulated so we did it. We painted and added carpet. There is also the dynamics of family members coming and going all the time, no forewarning, and did I mention there is only one main bathroom. There is one down in the garage, but it ain't easy when you have to go down stairs in the middle of the night. Hubby uses a bottle system to go number 1. Hubby and his sister had to take a lot of crap out of the attic (wasn't hubby's) and she get pissed because I didn't help. I told her that I asked him to let me help but he insisted I stay home and pack. She was pissed that nobody else but them helped. I get that, but we gave them all plenty of time and warning when we would need the space cleared to get the upgrade done. Then it fell on us to get the trash hauled out and pay for it. Again, not our crap.
There are gripes about the placement of our stuff in the garage, but the other stuff is in storage due to all the crap the kids have all over the garage that have been there for decades.
I do get along with MIL and the rest, but being around them more I try to be nice and helpful cleaning, and such. I am exhausted. The daughter helps out as well. She takes MIL to the doctors' every other day since her work schedule is more flexible. Oddly, she comes back and takes a shower before she goes to work. This house is on water restrictions. She has also left her clothes behind for her mother to wash. Really? She has her own home and brings it here? Mother is too generous and kind to do that.
There are quite a bit of coming and going I am still getting used to.
There is another family member living here (hubby's nephew) who is jobless, and has child (with gf). I am hoping hubby will give him some fatherly advice since his father passed (nephew's) several years ago. He is looking for a job. He moved in because he had a falling-out with his mother and her new bf who moved in. I hope he gets a job and moves on so he can be a good providing father.
I do get along with MIL and her family. I am always nice and try to help out when I can. I like the daughter, she really cares for her mother and is nice to me. I know that when I get a job it will get better for me so I am not here all the time dragging stuff from the garage up to our space and unpacking, cleaning and so on.
Now my vent is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,003,195 times
What in the world are you venting about? It sounds as though you are being well taken care of by relatives, so I'd say you should be shouting the praises of family, instead of complaining about sharing a bathroom, moving, and cleaning.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
Why are you exhausted all the time??? Do you realize what you do is what people do every day AND work full time?

You can only go out to eat and for cocktails every now and then? You sound really entitled - you shouldn't do either one until you can afford it.

Well, get a job and get an apartment if you want better. You are not in a position to complain.

I grew up in a house with 4 people and one bathroom. It works.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why are you exhausted all the time??? Do you realize what you do is what people do every day AND work full time?

You can only go out to eat and for cocktails every now and then? You sound really entitled - you shouldn't do either one until you can afford it.

Well, get a job and get an apartment if you want better. You are not in a position to complain.

I grew up in a house with 4 people and one bathroom. It works.
I grew up in a family of nine, in a 1.5 bathroom house. At least, until a visiting uncle died in the half bath, and we managed to convince ourselves he haunted it. Back to one full bath. In a solidly middle-class home, it was the norm.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,686,106 times
OP, ever hear of a paragraph?

As others have what are you whining about? So you have to share a bathroom, I grew up in a house with 4 people and we had full bathroom and a half bath.

This is the same poster who complained about friends not helping her pack, who expects friends to come over and help you pack?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 PM

32,985 posts, read 36,507,139 times
I refuse to read the wall of text. I started. Too much trouble.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 PM

5,609 posts, read 6,541,992 times
Yea, I made it through but it was tough.

Y'all, don't be so hard on her. She does have valid points. She just needed to vent, as we all do at times.

I wish her well and hope she finds a job that she can stick with.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,231,681 times
I stopped at " we spent a chunk of money to upgrade the Attic."

Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,109,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP, ever hear of a paragraph?

As others have what are you whining about? So you have to share a bathroom, I grew up in a house with 4 people and we had full bathroom and a half bath.

This is the same poster who complained about friends not helping her pack, who expects friends to come over and help you pack?
Seriously!!!!!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,316,800 times
I never eat out...never have a cocktail in a bar......
Your "vent" seems rather trivial to me...of course sharing a house with a lot of others can be stressful, but it sure beats being homeless..I hope you can appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships