Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times

Advertisements

Is your wife there alone or with other siblings? If i were in that situation I would rather be with my siblings than husband-and nothing against him- he just doesn't have the shared history I have with my siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Is this a death that will happen when life support is disconnected?

The reason I ask is that that is usually not a sudden dramatic thing like portrayed in movies.

There will likely be a meeting with involved doctors with your wife/her step-father and anyone else they want present.

If they decide to go ahead, it wont be 5 minutes later. They wont even have to decide at the meeting. And, the disconnection of life support will happen when your wife or step-father schedules it unless the hospital is really pushing them. At least that's my experience and the reason I bring it up is that logistically everyone who needs to know will have some advance notice.

Your wife may not even have thought of the possible logistical scenarios yet and be simply focused on her mother.

Presumably you are in contact frequently to find out whats going on. I think the best thing is to talk to your wife about what is the most helpful thing for her right now and bring up the future logistics and what she wants the kids to do.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

Whether his being there will be helpful or a hindrance depends on their relationship.

My grandfather was like having another child around. He was not good at keeping himself busy or being intuitive about what was helpful, so he was not very supportive to my grandmother when she was dealing with stress. He became one more thing to worry about.

If you are like that, OP, then your wife may not want you there.

Yes and lots of people(esp men and people who haven't dealt with situations like this before) are not good in hospitals. It can be more stressful to have them there.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Is this a death that will happen when life support is disconnected?

The reason I ask is that that is usually not a sudden dramatic thing like portrayed in movies.

There will likely be a meeting with involved doctors with your wife/her step-father and anyone else they want present.

If they decide to go ahead, it wont be 5 minutes later. They wont even have to decide at the meeting. And, the disconnection of life support will happen when your wife or step-father schedules it unless the hospital is really pushing them. At least that's my experience and the reason I bring it up is that logistically everyone who needs to know will have some advance notice.

Your wife may not even have thought of the possible logistical scenarios yet and be simply focused on her mother.

Presumably you are in contact frequently to find out whats going on. I think the best thing is to talk to your wife about what is the most helpful thing for her right now and bring up the future logistics and what she wants the kids to do.
No, it isn't quite as dramatic as it is in movies, but it isn't a process that lasts for days or even hours. The decision to pull the plug on my father-in-law happened in about 30 minutes. It does depend on the situation, I guess.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 AM

35,072 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Depends on what your wife wants, and whether you want to say a final goodbye before your MIL passes away. If all that is okay, it may be best to stay put so you can pick up your son. (I don't understand the religion reference.)
Given the cluster of "step" relatives up there she wouldn't want me there until after the death. Intensive Care Units have rules on how many visitors can be present and I definitely wouldn't be one of them.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

I am pitching this to the board as to whether I should stay put and wait for the death or go straight up to my wife. The logic of staying put is to pick up my younger son for the funeral, which tends to be close in time to the death in my religion, Judaism.

Thoughts?

Go be with your wife. Your son can take the bus.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Given the cluster of "step" relatives up there she wouldn't want me there until after the death. Intensive Care Units have rules on how many visitors can be present and I definitely wouldn't be one of them.
yes, and she might be more comfortable with you staying back and making sure your son arrives safely. Her mom has been ill for years, so she has probably been preparing for some time. But be sure to be there for her afterwards too.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
No, it isn't quite as dramatic as it is in movies, but it isn't a process that lasts for days or even hours. The decision to pull the plug on my father-in-law happened in about 30 minutes. It does depend on the situation, I guess.
Agreed. But, in my experience both where I was directly involved and also just knew what was going on with someone like a friend, its not that unusual for there to be up to 24 hours between the meeting and the actual disconnection of life support.

So if the goal is to show up at or close to the time of disconnection, the OP may be able to make that work because he is dealing with short commutes. And, if his wife hasn't thought this far, it may be good to talk to her so she knows to pin the hospital down on these things and that she or stepfather have some say so in how fast things proceed.....mainly so if she has strong preferences about when her husband and kids show up, it can be managed to an extent.

I'm sure its different in many situations, but I'm also pretty sure its mostly the same all the time for this hospital.......they will have their process and it should be easy enough to find out what it is.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
If you know this because you've talked to your wife then you have your answer.

If you haven't asked her directly but are assuming this, you should definitely ask her.

So, rather than asking on here, ask your wife today and then abide by her wishes.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I can't believe the keyboard warriors who are so fast to condemn the OP without knowing all the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships