Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 03:08 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times

Advertisements

My attitude is that if I cared about those people I would still be in contact with them. Of my graduating class I still stay in touch with 3 people. Considering I also live 2k miles away from my high school I have no incentive to go to a reunion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
In reading a part of this thread, I find it amazing how much some posters ALLOW their high school years to affect them. Who cares? It is barely worth a thought! High school was a bunch of silly kids trying to act cool or fit in. I look back at those versions of us (Now) adults, and chuckle.

I went to the 20 year reunion just before facebook hit the stage, it was ok...but I doubt I'll be interested in any future reunions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68sRqrZZ6wQ

Old 04-16-2016, 03:50 PM

13 posts, read 11,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And I am LOVING it!

A few months ago our HS made a Facebook page to mark 10 years and to do reunion planning. We had people come in and make posts like what they were doing with their careers, kids, marriages, etc. I've struck out on all three and haven't really been (What America considers) successful since I'm still in my sucky entry-level job I got 4 years ago, hopelessly single, and childfree (I actually consider that successful. )

I didn't have an ounce of intention of going to this reunion anyway just so I can feel even worse about how my life has turned out. Now it looks like I won't even have that problem to deal with since the event is probably gonna be canceled. I guess I can thank Facebook for making that reunion BS unnecessary.

Yeah yeah I know CD. My life may still be but at least I don't have to waste a night hearing how much it sucks compared to others.
It should be a requirement that everyone attend each HS reunion or you lose your diploma.

Someone might have been waiting 5 years to talk to you and now been devastated that you didn't show up.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I went to one of my reunions and it was pretty lame. The people I hung out with in HS were more like the bohemian crowd, artists, musicians and the people at the reunion were the clicky jocks and ex cheerleaders. I only went because I was dating a woman from my class and she was part of that bunch. They loved seeing and catching up with her but to me they were like "Did you go to our school? what year did you graduate?"

It was funny to see my old classmates and how fat and bald some of them were and the "hot girls" it was sad to see them trying to be 17 again.

I think you may have dodged a bullet OP and saved some money.

How many years was the one you went?

27 and 17 aren't that different, but 67 and 17 are!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'd imagine that for someone in their 20s, the need for a reunion in the age of Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. is pretty low. It's so simple to keep in touch with the people you want to keep in touch with, and people are generally pretty accessible.

I'm always interested in what people from back in the day are up to, but I don't actually have to go somewhere physically to find that out, you know?

There's no substitute for in-person communication.

Everyone should be capable of showing up in 1 place every 5 years.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You know you aren't obligated to go in the first place, right?

I went to an unofficial reunion a few years ago (at a bar, mostly spread by Facebook/word of mouth) and had a great time. I didn't hate high school though, I know some people never really get over that.

Unofficial ones don't count though.

It's about seeing how your childhood home changed in the meantime and pointing out spaces all around where certain things happened.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Then I don't understand why you are happy it may not happen? It's like being happy a game you had no intention of watching got rained out.

My guess is cause then he doesn't have to 2nd guess not going because it didn't happen.

Whereas if it did happen, he'd always have to wonder what he missed.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
We are at 35 years like I mentioned in an earlier post and our group, from Texas is fighting so hard over religion and politics that I think at least one if not more fights would break out . I stay OUT of this entirely .
However ...
I did have a male classmate PM me a DEATH threat should the Seahawks beat the Cowboys that day ( They did and I am still here in Seattle and he is OFF my map and is lucky I understand he is a pathetic idiot and didn't call the police ) .
This is ridiculous for grown people to act this way .
GoHawks

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
Cannot imagine that the OP would wish failure on someone else's failure. But I do sympathize with him/her somewhat. I have been out of school 48 years now. Have only ever attended one reunion (a multi-class affair - my class's 35th) As some of the other posters noted - NOT MUCH HAD CHANGED. The Rah-rahs were still of the opinion that they were better than the rest (and surprisingly, there were still some cliques among those who did not leave the area). The jocks were still jock-ey - most simply fatter & balder. Jerks still jerks. I even got see one classmate (?) show us her new, bigger, perkier breasts that she had done just for the occasion! Those of us not worthy of attention in HS were pretty much ignored here too. A group of about 5 or 6 of us ended up just leaving the venue & going elsewhere, both days & nights. High school was in no way a pleasant experience - so I cannot imagine what I called myself doing or what I expected. I have moved 500+ miles from city I attended HS. So, time off work for travel was required. I regret the time off that could have been used for something else & all the expenses involve. It was so bad, I have never attended another, nor will I ever again. Stay in touch with the few via snail-mail, e-mail, FB, telephone, etc.

It's still up to you to show up.

Maybe someone felt bad about how they acted on the 35th and wanted to make it up to you and then couldn't because you didn't show up?

Old 04-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I graduated in 1963 and have never been back to one reunion ever. Only thought about going one time about 15 years ago, but didn't.

I know some people are rah rah rah, and loved HS, but I didn't. It was not the best period of my life, and I really wasn't all that popular or friends with most of the people there. Even the guys I was close with have drifted apart and I haven't even seen my closest friends in more than 35 years or more.

Nope, some things are best left in the past, and HS is one of them for me.

Don

Why would you not want to go see your closest friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships