Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times

Advertisements

since you asked

years ago I had a brothers fiancee' that loved to stir the pot,,,add tension to any gathering,, I tried hard to like her
one rule of family gatherings in my house is not talking politics , she would constantly bring up heated topics and ask what others think... knowing it could lead to a heated argument..

she would also talk down to my brother,, very dismissive.. and same with kids.. she had no patience with kids.
she was also a vegan...and told the kids they would die if they eat any meat at all...that was the last straw... I told my brother she was no longer welcome

they eventually split

ive never met anyone like her since....just had to have a certain amount of tension..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,210,686 times
I had a sister-in-law from hell who has since passed. There are some people who are poison and spread their venom all around them, and their evil lives on after them.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I cant stand her so much I don't even consider her an "in-law"!! Can slice the tension with a knife when we're in the same room and we don't even speak a word to each other.

Anyone else feel the same.
Do you have other people in your life that you feel this way about?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
The interesting is, I've known her for 15 years (unfortunately) and have hardly spoken to her. Cant stand her demeanor, attitude, etc. I will NOT give her a chance- the hate between us is too deep-rooted. There has never been any outright brawl or argument or anything- just tension when we are in the same room (I do everything to avoid her like the plague). That is the interesting thing. And it is mutual dislike. The brother KNOWS very well I think she's the plague and vice versa.

What has become complicating is they have 2 kids, mind you they are very adorable.

I will keep my distance.
So, in the entire time you've "known" her, you've rarely spoken, never had an argument, and even say you will not give her a chance. And yet you have a "deep-rooted hate". Based on what? You don't know the woman.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,838,708 times
I learned what passive-aggressive behavior sounded like from one of my SIL's and how effective it could be. You could record her conversation and see how genus she was by the way she said things. Never could she be pinned down because she never said anything directly, always what someone else said and always spinned in her family's favor. I learned never to say anything in front of her that could be repeated (out of context) to anyone else. She was/is a genius at quoting out of context innocent remarks to make the other person look bad.

I've only ever met one other person who was that good at deliberate misinformation (without being accused of outright lying) and he was a lawyer.

Other SIL's have been good relatives so guess I'm lucky in that..
And having experience with this kind of passive-aggressive person has served me well in dealing with other people who exhibit the same behavior. I keep far away from them if at all possible.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,963,380 times
Quote:
I cant stand her so much I don't even consider her an "in-law"!! Can slice the tension with a knife when we're in the same room and we don't even speak a word to each other.

Anyone else feel the same.

I never met her so no, I don't feel the same.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,998,578 times
Does the rest of the family like her? Do they like you also?

I wish I had a SIL.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times
I looooove my SIL. Best thing that ever happened to my brother.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Hate is an awfully strong word. I don't think I hate anybody.

I don't implicitly trust my SIL, though, for good and sufficient reason. I wish DH had other family he could rely on but it just isn't so.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,564,077 times
Yes, hate is a very strong word. I don't think I've had the displeasure of experiencing that emotion, and feel badly for anyone who has. Passion is awesome, but the scale for me goes other direction.
My SIL is a bit on the eclectic side, but I love her to death. We can have heated debates, very intellectual and makes one think. I love that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships